How random do you think random can be?

• xxbchxx
      xxbchxx
      Bronze
      I recently played live and was dealt AA six times in 1 night (5 hours) I also had AK 5 times and lots of Aq, Aj. I've not had a run like that online and I've been playing online for 6 years.
      I know I was pretty lucky that night but does anyone have an opinion as to weather online is more random that real life?
      Oh and yes I did win that night (1st place £1050) but I only got payed on X3 of my AA.

Whats the best run of cards you've had......
  • 15 replies
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      lol
      i got QQ 3 times within 1 minute and still believe it's random:

and lost with all of them btw :P
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      I got AA 3 hands in a row on the same table once. Would have to hunt it out of my PT database, to prove it, but, it happened.

I think that's my biggest "AA" streak.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      I think random things aren't random. yeah. that really makes sense.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I've had fa for vast periods of time & I don't mean five ace ;)

Just thought I'd throw that random comment in.

Did actually read once where some bloke was betting on roulette and staked everything on black after a run of 14 consecutive reds. He thought that the law of probability was that it had to now be black.

Quack quack oops, probability always 50/50 (just under due to the zero), irrespective of previous results.
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by EagleStar88

Did actually read once where some bloke was betting on roulette and staked everything on black after a run of 14 consecutive reds. He thought that the law of probability was that it had to now be black.

Quack quack oops, probability always 50/50 (just under due to the zero), irrespective of previous results.
      it happened to me too, but it was only 8th red in row :rolleyes: And no, i didn't think it must be black now :P
      In fact, 8 reds in row is ~0.35% chance... Any idea what's the chance to get 3x QQ in less than 1 minute on 4 tables?

0.000004% if I'm correct... In other words: it won't happen anymore in my life :(
    • xxbchxx
      xxbchxx
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kruppe
      This I think is more my point (as I'm reading the posts I'm actually doubting my self) lol
      I do believe that random card generators are truly random but do you think they take in to account streaks? / luck etc does anyone see any difference with live play?
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by xxbchxx
      This I think is more my point (as I'm reading the posts I'm actually doubting my self) lol
      I do believe that random card generators are truly random but do you think they take in to account streaks? / luck etc does anyone see any difference with live play?
      you need to ask yourself: what exactly is a streak?
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Live play, dead play, whats the difference? Nothing, its all in your head.
      OK, so in 6 years of playing you have played how many hands? lets pick a random number say 1000000. Logic/math/reason says that every 220 hands you will be dealt AA. Have you seen 4545 pocket aces? My guess is no, you only saw 4540 pocket aces and the universe is simply balancing that out.
      In live play I got dealt KK 2 hands in a row
      Online I got dealt JJ, then AA, then QQ, Then AA again!
      I have also been dealt 25, 37, 4T, 26, 59, 37, 2J it would seem like 1000 times in a row!
      Its just numbers my friend, how you percieve the numbers, is how you see them, and it differs slightly for everyone, nothing fancy about it.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      playing 4 tables I once had AA, AA, AK and KK all at once.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by davidangel
      My guess is no, you only saw 4540 pocket aces and the universe is simply balancing that out.
      the universe doesn't balance things out. that wouldn't actually be random...
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by opal99
      Originally posted by EagleStar88

I tried the same an year ago
      had a program that counted the consecutive hits on the same place
      after 8 consecutive reds I started betting on black (increasing bets of course)
      I busted 200$ :D
      thats my short gambling career
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      My guess is no, you only saw 4540 pocket aces and the universe is simply balancing that out.
      Exactly, the universe is not random, there are a finite number of possible holdings/flop/turn/river combinations you will ever see. The randomness is an error in your own limited perception, that is, you only see one hand at a time, rather than every hand you will ever play all at once, and thus it appears to be random. Its not random at all, and thats why a skill player makes money and a gambler laments the so called "random bad luck" and loses his roll.
      boo hoo
    • tomzyb
      tomzyb
      Bronze
      But RNGs do it...if i understood correctly how they work. Something like they take into the account dealings from the past, when dealing the current hand.

I think it really shouldn't be talked by randomness here as it is hard to say what is random. If one gets dealt AA million times in a row, this is not random, but seing it as every separate time, it is random.

I think it should be talked about it more in terms of getting your fair share of all the hands, luck and bad luck. I think in this situation electronic dealing devices should be more reliable to deal a fair share over long run, because they are programmed that way. But with real cards and live dealer you never know, one can get dealt 72o all his life, altough it's very improbable, but not impossible. And in online game that cant happen, becuse of the way RNGs are written.
    • Ellfish
      Ellfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tomzyb
      But RNGs do it...if i understood correctly how they work. Something like they take into the account dealings from the past, when dealing the current hand.

I think it really shouldn't be talked by randomness here as it is hard to say what is random. If one gets dealt AA million times in a row, this is not random, but seing it as every separate time, it is random.

I think it should be talked about it more in terms of getting your fair share of all the hands, luck and bad luck. I think in this situation electronic dealing devices should be more reliable to deal a fair share over long run, because they are programmed that way. But with real cards and live dealer you never know, one can get dealt 72o all his life, altough it's very improbable, but not impossible. And in online game that cant happen, becuse of the way RNGs are written.
      Sorry mate but RNGs (or Psuedo-RNGs as nothing generated by a computer can ever be truly random) are independent of past events. If they were based on past events it wouldn't be random and you would be able to predict the next event based on previous events. I think you may be getting confused with the seeds for PRNGs, some algorithms take in multiple seeds to generate a random outcome, and the next random outcome uses the last so many seeds plus a new one. However the outcome should be totally independent of the last outcome, so the result of the last outcome is never used to generate the next outcome. (I hope that makes sense... trying to recall what I learnt 2 1/2 years ago in a computer science paper).

I agree with davidangel. It's all about perspective and your memory of events. You are more likely to remember the interesting things such as getting dealt AA three times in a row than all the other times you got dealt trash hands. In the long run it all balances out.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Thanks for clearing that up Ellfish. (I have no fucking idea what you are talking about)

I often hear idiots talking about previous patterns in lottery numbers, and how they can be used to predict results. I wish those people played poker :D