FL Turney question

• kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      Hi,

just want to ask somebody with experience in FL turneys. Tonight I played one and was realy surprised by agressive play. There was no tight bubble stage (at least I didn't catch it). I saw many hands won by A high or bottom pair on final table. I saw many calldowns with trash too. IMO number of maniacs is much higher than in NL turneys.

Is this standard or I just played a "lag" turney?
  • 4 replies
    • cristy007
      cristy007
      Bronze
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      he,when pushing such an old thread, have a look at our article on how to play a FL tournament:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/1847/1/
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      A lot of the players who sign up to FL SNGs do so accidentally. Then they have no idea what the differences are.

Some players will go crazy, betting and raising at every opportunity until they have given away all of their chips. It is very valuable to play pots with these players to get a share of those free chips. Sometimes, you miss and end up giving a few chips back, but it's a great opportunity. You should NOT tighten up against these maniacs, you should lower your standards significantly.

Bets and raises in limit represent less strength than in NL. Since bets are a smaller proportion of the pot, you do not need as strong of a hand to call a bet, and you should bluff less and make much thinner value bets. In blind-versus-blind pots you should usually go to showdown with ace high, and sometimes king high. Since people call down with ace high, you can sometimes bet low pairs for value, or even AK unimproved on the river.

Position is less important in limit. It is normal to raise KQo and AJo UTG 9-handed, 6 off the button, rather than 3 off the button in NL. On the other hand, you can't raise as widely on the button since your postflop position is less of a threat. Of course, this can change when your opponents tighten up near the bubble.

It is normal to 3-bet preflop with a much wider range than in NL. This usually knocks the blinds out of the hand, which can be valuable even though you risk facing a 4-bet. It is normal to cbet even in multiway pots after missing the flop. In limit, it is valuable to knock out players with no pair and no draw, or players with one overcard.

A common play is to raise on the flop for a cheap look at both the turn and river cards. If you have a draw good enough to call a flop bet, it is often right to raise, particularly in a multiway raised pot.

The ICM can be applied to limit SNGs, but the ICM actually says much different things than many people believe. The ICM says you should not be risk-averse in small pots, even on the bubble. In limit tournaments, all pots are small when the blinds are small. It is only when the blinds get very large that you should be risk-averse. Since many of your opponents will be overly tight, you have lots of good opportunities to steal blinds and to attack small pots.
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      weee, finally some replies :D

but thx for Your input guys