holmeboy

• holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      I'm a 26yo Irishman living in London. At the moment I'm trading full time on Betfair markets.

I've tried blogging a few times in the past but it ultimately ended in failure, and with aspirations moving up in the near future I feel like its time to try again. With this blog I aim to post:

:spade: Hands with analysis
      :spade: Strategy
      :spade: Regular updates

Hopefully I can spark some discussions and get talking to a few other players so we can aid each others development.

Aside from poker I'd like to post some rl things as well. I'm recently single after a few years which has left me with loooooads of free time. Literally loads. So its time to exploit the freedom my work gives me and explore the world while I'm still young; I've booked flights to Norway and Spain so far so if anyone has any suggestions lmk! I plan on posting trip reports and maybe some pics as well.

gl!
  • 34 replies
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Hey there holmeboy!

I know what you mean by having loads of free time :D
      What limit are you playing at atm???

It might be a stupid question, but what are betfair markets? :s_confused:

GL at the tables :f_biggrin:
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Yes, I'm following!

Nice to see you blogging again. Looking forward to the travel reports, when do you have the first one planned?
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      I've a nice routine going for poker with a few time slots throughout the day dedicated to learning and playing. My new stake deal is being switched to a tracked site so while waiting for support to confirm my documents before depositing I didn't want to wreck my routine by sitting around, so I decided to bust out equilab, pt4 and a calculator to do some studying! Today's 'session':

It gave me the idea to post my standard gameplan over the next wee while. Hopefully people can comment on it and either learn something or mention a spot I could approach better. I'll start off quite basic and work my way through pre, flop, turn and river. So with that here's part 1:

Open Raising

I said basic right? :f_biggrin:

UTG:

Rather than posting a load of pics of my different opening ranges I guess its easier to select some combos of hands that aren't 100% opens for me so you can see the difference. Going through this seems pretty ancillary but its something I like to do every ~100k hands. I get to see what's working for me and what's not. For ex A2s-A5s was a standard open here but after todays analysis I found out I'm losing money (-1.3bb/hand) so I can drop that from my game until I figure out while I'm losing. It could be a number of reasons:

:spade: running bad
      :spade: playing bad
      :spade: rake

Of course I'll only have a tiny sample so that I'm losing might not mean much other than that, but its good to go away and think about how to approach certain holdings in different ways; which is what I'll be doing the next week or two when looking at my A2s-A5s hands.

I guess UTG explains itself really, I was playing a bit wider but I'm going to start tightening up here after today - losing with 65s-9Ts (-1.13bb/hand) in UTG as well.

For conditions on opening wider I'm looking to see if there's a bunch of players at the table not giving me any trouble: rarely 3betting and easily exploitable post flop leaks like folding a lot to cbets. But I'll be slightly stricter on table conditions for A2s-A5s and 65s-T9s for now.

A6s-A9s I open if the table isn't giving me any trouble and there's a fish in the blinds (I'm making 0.37bb/hand here).

If I've got a lot of aggressive 3bettors to my left I'd start by folding 22-55 to tighten up, if they are giving me LOADS of trouble I'd just leave the table.

MP:

I'm actually showing a good profit with A6s-A9s so this is something I might look to start opening more often, maybe 100% of the time. If I do that then I'll think about adding more gappers to my 'better table conditions' range.

Conditions for opening wider/tighter are the same as UTG.

CO:

The btn makes a huge difference on how much I'm opening CO. If they aren't 3betting much (<6%) and have a small spread between VPIP/PFR (less than 3-4 points) then I can open ~35% that you see here. With fold happy players in the blinds as well I'll often open ~40%+.

I never open less that the highlighted 100% hands, the order in which I increase my range here is something like: one-gappers/Kxs/Qxs/Ax/two-gappers. I used to open off suit connectors/gappers but I'm losing money so I'll keep them in the wider part of my range until I go through my hand histories.

For the late positions it's really important to take postflop reads into account. I've detailed my ranges for how much they are folding to steals, so if they defend a lot but fold a ton to cbets, for example, then I'll obviously open much wider than I've stated v those guys.

BTN:

I minr so: 2/(2+1.5) = 57% FE required. With two players left to act we need them to fold 0.57^1/2 = 0.75 each.

Thats means if the combined fts of sbvbtn and bbvbtn is >150 we can profitably open any two cards.

The minimum range I use if there's a fish in the blinds. We'll often end up in a multiway pot with poor connectivity, so I don't like opening much wider. All suited hands v unknowns or two regs.

If sb + bb fts starts approaching ~140 I'll begin adding some of the offsuited stuff until we reach 150 when I'm opening 100%

SB:

Raising to 2.5x means we need 2/(2+1.5) = 57% FE

Against unknowns I'm opening everything highlighted. V villains folding <50% I'll use the super tight range.

Once guys start folding >55% then we can start expanding our range to what's highlighted @100%, >60% any two suited and >65% slowly adding all the offsuited combos.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Vienna.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rains7
      Hey there holmeboy!

I know what you mean by having loads of free time :D
      What limit are you playing at atm???

It might be a stupid question, but what are betfair markets? :s_confused:

GL at the tables :f_biggrin:
      Hello sir,

Haha its ridiculous how much time gfs take up. I'm playing nl20/25 at the moment. Hopefully nl50 soon though! How about you?

Betfair markets are basically anything you can bet on! Betfair is a betting exchange, which means you can act as the punter and back a selection, or as the bookmaker and lay a selection. Its pretty much buying and selling; you want to back high and lay low for auto-profit ;)

Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Yes, I'm following!

Nice to see you blogging again. Looking forward to the travel reports, when do you have the first one planned?
      ty

First one is Oslo in May, hopefully its not too cold out there this time of year... I went to Helsinki in November a few years back and it was freezing!
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Vienna.
      haha, added to the list. When you coming London?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holmeboy
      Vienna.
      Too broke for London. :f_biggrin:
    • ZeDawning
      ZeDawning
      Bronze
      Dislike opening UTG w 56/67/78s. You can add better one gappers instead J9/T8/97s.
      Would be so tough to play those small SCs oop vs players who are going to call us with a stronger range.

In that way opening A9s- from UTG is also something I avoid. But if you are making profits, then I guess opening them makes sense.

GL - will follow.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      So nice to see you blogging,

snap subbed :s_cool:

Keep us updated.,
      Fran
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holmeboy
      Vienna.
      Too broke for London. :f_biggrin:
      Vienna obv overpriced ;)

Originally posted by FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      So nice to see you blogging,

snap subbed :s_cool:

Keep us updated.,
      Fran
      ty sir :f_thumbsup:

Originally posted by ZeDawning
      Dislike opening UTG w 56/67/78s. You can add better one gappers instead J9/T8/97s.
      Would be so tough to play those small SCs oop vs players who are going to call us with a stronger range.

In that way opening A9s- from UTG is also something I avoid. But if you are making profits, then I guess opening them makes sense.

GL - will follow.
      Yeah before the last 60-70k hands they were a fold for me, but I felt like I was playing well so it'd be a good time to experiment with my game haha. I had a ~70% rfi frequency with them but now I know they don't work for me (at the moment at least). I'm even losing with 89s/9Ts so it'll be a while before I experiment with gappers I think.

I actually think A9>9T for me anyway.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      One of my friends runs a letting agency and needed help so asked if I could give her a hand. I've never worked a 'real job' for a full day in my life so decided it could be a bit of craic! And on the way to work all I could think of was Curb Your Enthusiasm when Larry David was a car salesman for the day (although I'd like to think my attempt at working was a bit more successful). House viewings weren't completely new to me though, last summer in Birmingham the landlord asked me to show somebody around the house I was staying because he couldn't attend the viewing; the person liked the room and decided to take it. So with my 100% strike rate in lettings I was feeling extremely confident.

When I got to work the office was very cramped and dingy, and with people next to you on the phone every 5 minutes I honestly don't know how you can perform in that environment. Things started out quite dull; making phone calls, sending emails, posting online ads etc. considering I've spend the last 4 years watching tv/movies/in the pub (no alcohol though :f_frown: ) while trading on betfair this was torture. Slow, boring torture.

After lunch I got to do my first viewing. The place was horrible. The room was literally a bed and bedside table. I was speechless - 50% strike rate.

Viewing number two was better: a nicer house and the guy was sounder. We even had a cup of tea and a game of pool in the attic. But when I quoted the rent he must have asked 4/5 times "no, how much is the rent really" - 33% strike rate.

The woman in my final viewing was odd. Really, really odd. She'd say like two words then wouldn't be able to finish her sentence because he was laughing too much. It was really difficult to deal with. Was I supposed to just stand there, or do I throw in a fake laugh so she doesn't feel uncomfortable? If I laugh do I try match her enthusiasm? Unfortunately I chose the latter, and to make things worse the people living in the apartment were there too. It wasn't embarrassing at all. Whether she wants the room or not, I'm certain the people she'll be living with will put up a staunch defence against her - 25% strike rate.

On the train home there was a really attractive asian (indian asian) woman sat across from me. This is someone I'm never going to see again so I thought: "what have I got to lose?" and got talking to her. At my stop I wrote down my number on a piece of paper, left it on the table and got up. Walking away I was really nervous lol, so I'll have to wait and see... Then I helped a lady carry her pram up the stairs at the station, so I got my good deed for the day in there as well! (should bring some rungood later)
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Last week:

Rail
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Really like your ideas for this blog - definitely following!

Quick question regarding your ranges
      What part of UTG range do you 4 bet, call 3 bet , fold, ready to go broke with?

Just wondering about this, cause if you open very wide ranges you should really look into game plan further when you get 3 bet by what type of player how to proceed with what part of your range.
      Basically if you fold big part of your range to 3 bets, opponents can exploit you with ATC 3 bets pre flop for auto profit.

Look forward to your updates!
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      Really like your ideas for this blog - definitely following!

Quick question regarding your ranges
      What part of UTG range do you 4 bet, call 3 bet , fold, ready to go broke with?

Just wondering about this, cause if you open very wide ranges you should really look into game plan further when you get 3 bet by what type of player how to proceed with what part of your range.
      Basically if you fold big part of your range to 3 bets, opponents can exploit you with ATC 3 bets pre flop for auto profit.

Look forward to your updates!
      Thanks bro :f_love:

I was going to go over that this week or next once I finished opening ranges. But I spent loads of time last year thinking about being 'balanced': so if i was opening x combos, then I'd need to defend 0.33*x. But I feel like I wasted about 6 months of my development worrying about this (I'm not saying its unimportant, just not worth it for my limits).

Instead I just spent a day and thought about different 3b ranges (2, 4, 6, 8....%/merged or polarised etc.) and constructed defending ranges which I feel play pretty well. So I don't really concern myself about defending more if I start opening wider; only if they start 3betting more. And I'm actually folding much less now than I was before playing 'balance' (My ft3b in UTG is ~50% and my ft3b overall is 57%.) and my results facing a 3b are better.
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      I wouldn't open ace rags on the co as we get in super awkward situations, and those hands have alot of reverse implieds odds. Or I just think those are awkward to play, but ye if btn always fold to your steal attempts I would open very light from the co aswell!

But all in all I hate ace rags ^^
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      RL has been uneventful this week. Weekend was fairly standard: got drunk on Sat and spent Sunday hungover in front of the tv. Normally I keep my evenings free to watch the football when its on but after last night's harrowing result I didn't want anything to do with the sport today so I decided to get in an extra session. Resulted in what I'm pretty sure is my biggest ever winning day:

Including RB it works out ~€270

Really can't figure out how to approach the next strategy post, calling and 3betting are so intertwined not sure how to start. I starting writing about calling; but might go back and do 3betting first...
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saren113
      I wouldn't open ace rags on the co as we get in super awkward situations, and those hands have alot of reverse implieds odds. Or I just think those are awkward to play, but ye if btn always fold to your steal attempts I would open very light from the co aswell!

But all in all I hate ace rags ^^
      I think they play quite well ip and in more passive games: I find we're winning at sd a lot with A high. I agree they have a lot of reverse implied odds though, and I've made a few mistakes playing them in the past. I'll look to see if I'm just running good with them in my sample.

There's a potentially interesting discussion in w34z3l's 6max walkthrough about high cards v connected.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Congrats on you're big day :D

The best thing I've done recently was spend a coaching with oblioo grinding out all my default preflop ranges (cc/3b call3b/4b, RFI) in all positions.
      Definitely worth the effort spending time on it. From what I've seen up to nl100 (and i'd guess higher), just about all regs ranges are pretty bad. Definitely a big edge to have here and worth perserving with. It helps with confidence so much too. To just not get stuck in those positions where say you are getting 3b at an uncomfortable level and not know how to deal with it. And then you make more mistakes like open/fold/4b/call (or play badly postflop) at wrong frequencies with wrong hands.

Working out how they're created also gave me a good idea on how to deviate from the default. Like which hands to add or remove and in what order. Like say a guy was folding to much, I used to just 3b him a lot with random cards with blockers. But now I have an idea of what cards I should be using to hit the % I want. It also helps postflop too, because they same principles can be applied,

Do cc/3b ranges together. You can put them on the same chart, they're related. 2 birds/1 stone. It would be real handy to get help from a good coach to help with all these ranges. It was pretty hard for me to know what I can profitably call and then which hands I should be 3betting, even if I did know roughly what %'s I wanted to hit. To have someone say, well I show a profit opening these over a massive sample, but these are marginal is experience that is just so valuable.

But yeah, it must be going pretty well when you have days like that anyways! :s_biggrin: Congrats!