Can you really make money playing limit?

• sylefox
      sylefox
      Basic
      I am so frustrated. I follow the starting hand chart, always playing the high cards only. Yet I still lost all my chips in a week. Luckily i have $20 bonus. So thats the only money remaining. I guess ill be playing play money until i find myself not losing. But can you really make money out of it? This is very frustrating. I guess I need more patience and stable mind. I do win sometimes, then i leave the table and find another table so the money I won will be added to bankroll, then when i play again, i get bust! The only reason im playing limit is because its less riskier. I wouldve probably lost all my stack playing no limit in one day. Sometimes i think playing trashy hands that are suited should also be played. But i dont know. Its not in the starting hand chart and im so frustrated. It doesn't seem like a game of skill anymore, more like luck. I get terrible hole cards all the time. And i dont even play connectors, cause most of the time it doesnt hit the flop. When i fold, it does. The odds are against me, its so cumbersome!!!!
  • 17 replies
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sylefox
      I am so frustrated. I follow the starting hand chart, always playing the high cards only. Yet I still lost all my chips in a week. Luckily i have $20 bonus. So thats the only money remaining. I guess ill be playing play money until i find myself not losing. But can you really make money out of it? This is very frustrating. I guess I need more patience and stable mind. I do win sometimes, then i leave the table and find another table so the money I won will be added to bankroll, then when i play again, i get bust! The only reason im playing limit is because its less riskier. I wouldve probably lost all my stack playing no limit in one day. Sometimes i think playing trashy hands that are suited should also be played. But i dont know. Its not in the starting hand chart and im so frustrated. It doesn't seem like a game of skill anymore, more like luck. I get terrible hole cards all the time. And i dont even play connectors, cause most of the time it doesnt hit the flop. When i fold, it does. The odds are against me, its so cumbersome!!!!
      [edited by FFRRAANNKKIIEE]
      Yes it is possible to win even at the lowest stake. I myself have "specialized" myself in playing at 5/Tc on pokerstars. Here is proof. If you add me on skype : [edited by FFRRAANNKKIIEE] I will take my time on giving you a few pointers and a right hand chart as the first thing.

Ive won nearly $260 which is what that graph shows. That is all 2c/4c (15k hands) and the rest is at 5/Tc on stars. in total ive won $260ish on 5/Tc alone.
    • sylefox
      sylefox
      Basic
      Okay I will add you later after church. So glad somebody could save me!
    • sylefox
      sylefox
      Basic
      Originally posted by Avataren
      edited by FFRRAANNKKIIEE

Yes it is possible to win even at the lowest stake. I myself have "specialized" myself in playing at 5/Tc on pokerstars. Here is proof. If you add me on skype : edited by FFRRAANNKKIIEE I will take my time on giving you a few pointers and a right hand chart as the first thing.

Ive won nearly $260 which is what that graph shows. That is all 2c/4c (15k hands) and the rest is at 5/Tc on stars. in total ive won $260ish on 5/Tc alone.
      I just added you, name is [edited by FFRRAANNKKIIEE]. Hope to hear from you soon.
    • sneakybeaky
      sneakybeaky
      Bronze
      Yes, you can, but as Avataren says it's hard finding material that's relevant to todays game.

A very good foundation is provided by Boomers Micro Surgery series

With the right study and material you can turn things round quickly. I made it through to .10/.20 but then hit a wall and was a solid losing player at -3BB/100. Then I got some coaching, found pokerstrategy etc and now doing very well at that stake. This is in the space of about 5 months, so don't despair !
    • sylefox
      sylefox
      Basic
      But I've uncovered something new today. Been playing NL, and used my skill from Limit, and I got really good at it. Unlike the last time before I learned about limit, I bust every time. But I'm not an expert though, I was just thinking out of frustration maybe switching to NL will turn things around since grinding in Limit is so cumbersome. I can make double in limit in an hour or so, which takes so long, and much longer with real money!!!! Yet, I made more than double in less than 30minutes with NL play money. Actually, I've never really doubled in real money yet with limit. The best I've come so far was half of my buy-in. Happens rarely. Although, I wouldn't take this that I'm an expert in NL, cause like in limit, real money could be real hard to earn too. Playing several sessions today with NL, I bust out once out of clumsiness and more than doubled my buy-ins in other sessions. So I think I have progressed. But I am not going to play with real money yet, as I'm so nervous of having bad beat again.

Would you mind to have a chat so I can learn from you or something. Just want to get to know some poker players and how they managed to make something. I really want poker to be my source of living because I don't want a job, yet I'm frustrated. Don't know what to do really or where to begin. I'm just on my own.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi guys,

I edited out some of your posts.

Please don't post your contact information publicly, you can always PM these contacts to each other through community tool. This is for your own safety, hope you understand.

Also, please read our Forum Principles and stick to that rules. Again, I really hope you understand. :)

Kind regards,
      Fran
    • sneakybeaky
      sneakybeaky
      Bronze
      Hi,

I should have been clearer in my post - I don't think you need coaching at the micro stakes providing you have the right material. Sadly fixed limit holdem seems to be on the wane so it doesn't get much newer material nowadays. In my case I'd read around another very popular forum and the advice was to study the SSHE book by Miller and others. For online holdem that book probably stopped being relevant around 2007 and so I got my arse handed to me on a plate. The coaching I got very quickly identified leaks (open limping, being too nitty), but that's pretty standard stuff nowadays.

Have you read all the strategy articles you can in the FL area ? And you can't see any videos when you search for Micro Surgery and Boomer ? I think the articles in the first few levels of FL should be fine for winning at the micro levels. If I'd found them before I got the coaching I think they would have helped me enormously.
    • SirTradeAlot
      SirTradeAlot
      Bronze
      hi fox,

limit is a very good place to learn, practice and to learn discipline. And yes, you can make money on it... I knowit, I grew up on it - tho this was in another millennium :D

My advice:

Study the stuff from boomer... he definitely is the leading scientist in this field.

Starting hand range and postion are extremely important. Make sure you play on tables with as many players as possible. Ideally 10. No less than 6. Never get tempted to play headsup!

Note on NL and Fear:

NL is a completely different game.

You mentioned youre scared of bad beats. Let me tell you the following on this matter:

Poker has massive variance, and NL is the most perilous game (after Omaha) :) - you have to accept the fact that YOU WILL lose many many times in the most brutal forms. :coolface:

I guarantee you, you will have phases where you have 90 bad beats in a hundred games - getting beaten with no matter what. For weeks, even months ... and then there will be times when its the other way round. Hopefully
      :s_biggrin:

Never sit down to play if you have not accepted these menthal terms and conditions :D honestly, just don't!

and last but not least:

Read on variance - apart from table selection, this is probably the most important element in poker.

Never Buy in with more than 1% of your overall stack. If necessary play freerolls (no playmoney - that has no effect on learning whatsoever).

You might not get rich tomorrow, but you can enjoy the game and survive the downswings.

Good Luck!
    • sylefox
      sylefox
      Basic
      Originally posted by sneakybeaky
      Hi,

I should have been clearer in my post - I don't think you need coaching at the micro stakes providing you have the right material. Sadly fixed limit holdem seems to be on the wane so it doesn't get much newer material nowadays. In my case I'd read around another very popular forum and the advice was to study the SSHE book by Miller and others. For online holdem that book probably stopped being relevant around 2007 and so I got my arse handed to me on a plate. The coaching I got very quickly identified leaks (open limping, being too nitty), but that's pretty standard stuff nowadays.

Have you read all the strategy articles you can in the FL area ? And you can't see any videos when you search for Micro Surgery and Boomer ? I think the articles in the first few levels of FL should be fine for winning at the micro levels. If I'd found them before I got the coaching I think they would have helped me enormously.
      I think I have, except the bronze, silver and whatever else that's premium. I see it now, it didn't appear the first time probably because I wasn't logged in.

By the way, thank you for giving me direction to those videos. :D
    • sylefox
      sylefox
      Basic
      Originally posted by SirTradeAlot
      hi fox,

limit is a very good place to learn, practice and to learn discipline. And yes, you can make money on it... I knowit, I grew up on it - tho this was in another millennium :D

My advice:

Study the stuff from boomer... he definitely is the leading scientist in this field.

Starting hand range and postion are extremely important. Make sure you play on tables with as many players as possible. Ideally 10. No less than 6. Never get tempted to play headsup!

Note on NL and Fear:

NL is a completely different game.

You mentioned youre scared of bad beats. Let me tell you the following on this matter:

Poker has massive variance, and NL is the most perilous game (after Omaha) :) - you have to accept the fact that YOU WILL lose many many times in the most brutal forms. :coolface:

I guarantee you, you will have phases where you have 90 bad beats in a hundred games - getting beaten with no matter what. For weeks, even months ... and then there will be times when its the other way round. Hopefully
      :s_biggrin:

Never sit down to play if you have not accepted these menthal terms and conditions :D honestly, just don't!

and last but not least:

Read on variance - apart from table selection, this is probably the most important element in poker.

Never Buy in with more than 1% of your overall stack. If necessary play freerolls (no playmoney - that has no effect on learning whatsoever).

You might not get rich tomorrow, but you can enjoy the game and survive the downswings.

Good Luck!
      I'll take your word for it. I'll try playing the NL for a week by play money. It seems so interesting yet again. It's actually the first poker game I learned, but seems like now that I've played many hands in limit, I mean more than before, it kinda got me playing better. I'd still very much like to believe I have some chance to grind my way up. I only have few dollars, sorry if I disobey the bankroll but ill start with the smallest stakes and take my chances. I'm aware of the bankroll stuff since long ago, I believe its right too. I just want to be hoping right now. BUT, I do believe you sir.. NL is a little bit different, yes I agree. And yes I've observed, the fewer the players, the harder, yet again I did get bust while the table was full. So kinda want to give up on limit. But I'll see this boomer thing you are referring to, maybe it really helps like you said. So thanks!!! :D I appreciate it!
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      It is a fact that you become a better player at all games you play when you learn a new one. Playing FL will improve your hand reading in NL (though the ranges are different there).
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Hi guys,

I edited out some of your posts.

Please don't post your contact information publicly, you can always PM these contacts to each other through community tool. This is for your own safety, hope you understand.

Also, please read our Forum Principles and stick to that rules. Again, I really hope you understand. :)

Kind regards,
      Fran
      girl or whatever. ive been sharing my skype on the forums multiple times. I don't mind sharing it publicly. people can add me if they like. Ive never heard or been informed by multiple mods that its illegal to do that. but if you say so.. :/ very annoying though.
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sneakybeaky
      Hi,

I think I have, except the bronze, silver and whatever else that's premium. I see it now, it didn't appear the first time probably because I wasn't logged in.

By the way, thank you for giving me direction to those videos. :D

Just FYI I have accepted your skype info and i have written to you hours ago..
    • sylefox
      sylefox
      Basic
      Okay so now I just started to watch the boomer video, turns out, I could only see 4mins because of my membership. Too bad..

So I played a bigger stake play money with NL, seems people are playing it so bad. Not that I won any pots, but the raise was just too much, couldn't get myself to see the flop. I find it rubbish like Avateren told me in chat. But not quite sure people will be playing like that with real money. I don't know exactly.. But seems only two here have told me they can play the game profitably.
      Bronze
      Okay so now I just started to watch the boomer video, turns out, I could only see 4mins because of my membership. Too bad..

So I played a bigger stake play money with NL, seems people are playing it so bad. Not that I won any pots, but the raise was just too much, couldn't get myself to see the flop. I find it rubbish like Avateren told me in chat. But not quite sure people will be playing like that with real money. I don't know exactly.. But seems only two here have told me they can play the game profitably.
      all of the people on this Fixed Limit forum are winners at different stakes. (almost all)

and stop talking about NL. first of all this is the Fixed Limit forum, second I already told you that we should have a chat about your goals and what you wanna play, Though I can only help you on the right path if you choose to play Fixed Limit, if you choose NL I won't be able to nor do I want to try and help with no limit.
    • sylefox
      sylefox
      Basic
      Apologies about the NL talks here.

I will get in touch later when I'm done at work and be at home. Of course I'd still very much like to pick on your brain for some goody knowledge. So, there are a lot of winners. Good to know this game is not entirely played out of luck.
    • DAIMA2
      DAIMA2
      Gold
      Except of all these you are advised, look and if
      Usually from the same or nearby country 2 people to r.rr cup alot of times
      Or
      1 waiting without playing with the second waiting and after a new player joins the second joins
      Perhaps some and not all of the times that these happens is suspicious
      Usually these happens with 2 or 3 players