The World is Yours (mine)

• WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

I will be starting a blog at pokerstrategy to motivate me since I haven't ever taken time to study the game on my own, give myself goals and keep track of my results.

ABOUT ME

I'm a 20 years old Canadian currently studying economics at university.

I've been playing poker for about 2 years at very slow sample and got me to NL100 HU cash.

I took 2 5BI shots this month at NL100 this month and they both ended up pretty quickly, now my roll is OK to try another 5BI shot... hope to run better this time and I will do everything I can to make it work.

I never took anything seriously in my life and it's now time to take that poor and lazy mindset away form my brain and take things (poker at least) seriously. Enough of being the guy that never does anything but always gets results a bit better than average... Now is time to be the best.

GOALS AND MOTIVATION

1- Play 30h/week

2- Do 2 video session reviews/week (will have to fix my laptop's video problem first)

3- Move up to NL200 in 2 months

4- Meet other online grinders (never seen any decent ones in Montreal)

5- Find myself a coach

*** If anyone has some advises for me to keep me motivated, I'll take them happily.
  • 58 replies
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi WillyD,

In for the journey,

It could be one more epic hu cash blog,

Best of luck and crush through stakes,

Fran
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Decided to post results each weak on Sundays not to be too influenced by short term variance.

Shot at NL100 started OK... up a bit there and down a bit on NL50 which still makes a decent profit.

Hours are getting in and rakeback looks pretty juicy too
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Good day today... won a couple of BI's both on NL50 and NL100 which puts me around 500 in the green and still under EV for the show.

Motivations is there currently... I play a lot, I win a lot, at least on Ipoker... on Stars it's another thing lol

Out to eat poutine tonight with gf. It's like the best meal in the world and only available in a small part of Canada hehe

Forgot to thank you Frank for following... not used to blogging
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Played very little today... made an extremely small profit... still better than nothing though

Tomorrow no shcool so I'll play more
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      This blog seems to give me wings... today definitely ran over EV quite a bit, but something like 700$ in the green.

Good days at the poker room so far, the shot is going very very well... at this pace it won't take long to get to NL200

HUNL is so fun... i suggest this format to everybody who haven't tried it.
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Did not play poker today. Saw friends and family instead.

Tomorrow will be the 1st week summary
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      I have always wanted to play HU, but I guess the lowest HU limits one should play is NL50 which I have not reached yet. If I may ask, how did you start playing HU? Did you start at NL50 or did you play 6/max or HUSNG's before?

Oh yeah, the world is yours! :f_biggrin:

• WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Hey JCseerup, started at the bottom, at NL2 with the 50$ from pokerstrategy on PartyPoker.

Grinded things up slowly while not taking poker seriously and having bankroll management issues, but managed to never bust it and get it to NL25 all the way only playing 6max cash.

Then i switched to stars and got it to NL50 6max again, was winning like at 1-3bb/100 and stated to get bored of all the nits and the format.

Then I saw the Champions Stand Up One More Time Than The Rest series and got inspired. Bought HU mastermind, which was a very big portion of my roll at the moment... like 20-30% i would say.

From there I started to play NL50 HU, ran like god in like a month was almost up to NL200 with a 25BI BR management (very aggro for HU cash) and almost lost it all.

Switched to Ipoker and I'm once again close to NL200 (euro this time hehe) but now had my time of struggle, found all the HU content I could find on internet and now have a way more solid and less variance heavy style than before.

Lol got inspired by your question... anyway, yes you're right you shouldn't play lower than NL50 HU because of the rake and by just playing solid (no spews, no over leveling, only raising good hands, folding bad ones), you can get out of the lower stakes 6max with a very good winrate (had something like 10bb/100 and was terrible at theory (and may still be hehe)).

I am convinced that without any great complicated and sophisticated bluffs anyone can win at a very decent winrate through great stakes (currently extremely confident about my edge against NL100 regs).

Good luck getting there, because HU cash (in all poker forms) is the best format you can get.

*** the title of my blog comes from that song btw (what's the image you put?)

Thanks again for participating to my blog.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      Thank you for the explanation, I hope to be able to try out HU at some point, it sounds like a good game! :f_biggrin:

Have you seriously never watched Scarface? In case you haven't you really need to!
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Never watched it and I'm sur I would like it a lot.

Thanks for reminding me to watch it, I will definetely do that soon.
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Here's the week :

http://imgur.com/1H8OrrN

Ran very good and played very good against NL100 regs.

I like what I see and I want more

Let's keep those weeks coming

*** How can I post images here?
    • pyure
      pyure
      Bronze
      Nice start to the blog, I'll be following for inspiration :)

Our poker stories are pretty similar actually. I too started with $50 from pokerstrategy and ended up playing HU using gordons mastermind course. The only tiny difference in our stories is this bit:

Originally posted by WillyD
      From there I started to play NL50 HU, ran like god in like a month was almost up to NL200 with a 25BI BR management (very aggro for HU cash) and almost lost it all.
      I actually did lose it all, and I had a bigger BR at the time as well. Twas pretty crushing to say the least. That was over two years ago and I haven't played much since.
      Great to see you managed to overcome and grind your way back up !

Started playing a few husngs recently, hence the return to pokerstrategy, so might start up a blog of my own.
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Sorry to hear about that... HU cash swings are massive and you get to know how to manage these better while experiencing more of them.

If you have the motivation inside of you to grind really seriously and do whatever it takes, I'm sure you'll get back in the game and beat these regs.

Oh and having a blog seems to motivate me also, so I would suggest it to you, even if you're not already back in the HU cash game...

GL with getting back and thanks for following also, I appreciate.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      I also found blogging really motivating; that's why I started my blog this year too; if you asked me to start a blog a year or two ago I would probably laugh, but now I'm aware that it really helps to maintain good play, solid goals, mental strength and motivation for volume. So, yeah, I can also honestly recommend blogging to every poker player out there. :)
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Yep blogging is the shit.

Got another 500+ day today... haven't played much NL100 though in this score there might only be 1 NL100 BI

Keep running like shit on stats though where I only play fish... getting frustrating
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      well well well... when things go great... they keep going great

I had a goal of reaching NL200 within 2 months, but already reached it with the super rakeback that I got today.

My plan was basically to reach NL200 with a 25BI BR management, when at NL200, groing bankroll to have 50BI BR management since edges are supposed to be less big.

Sure there will be a uber duper super downswing sooner or later to compensate for this humongous heater.

Might as well aim for NL1k for the next month running like this hehe.
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Another shot that ended quickly...

93 hands to lose 4.5BI all setups

well well well... let's go grind some more to try another time...
    • WillyD
      WillyD
      Bronze
      Next time I have 25BI for a limit, I will only play fish there until I have 40BI for the limit.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      :( grind it up again, and gl with next shot :)