Happy with poker

• IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      Hello, I'm Paul and I've played poker for almost 5 years now. I'm 21 years old, currently at my 3rd year bachelor of applied mathematics, working part time as microsoft NAV developer.

Little bit of an introduction before I get to my point.

Ever since I was young, I looked for ways to make money on internet, quick ways that didn't require much work. And then I found online poker. The first year I was building my bankroll on sngs from next to nothing and learning the basics, at the end of the year I turned 18 bought a pc from my poker winnings and started the bigger grind.

Things were going good, two months later I went on a week holiday trip with a friend paid by poker. Bought all kind of stuff from poker. From being a teen who relies on parents and has none of his own money I've turned to someone who had more than he needed.

2nd year I started playing fulltilt and clearing bonus, I grinded a lot but didnt study anything and the result of that was that it was all breakeven. I kept thinking it was variance and things will go better but they didnt, slowly I lost hope. It was during that year that poker stopped being fun to me.

The latter 3 years included black friday, which made things worse. I started Uni, got a gf and the last year I've started living on my own, so I found a job. I wasn't playing poker seriously only occasionally I'd start some grind until I get a downer and stop soon after.

Recently I got into Tim64 school and played 7$ 6max. Unfortunately due to studies and work, I don't really want to come home and play poker at the evening since I view it as monotonous work. Needless to say the deal didn't go far, I did ok on the sngs (~10% roi over 500games) but volume was the problem.

The problem is I never had to work hard. I've had everything handed to me.
      School was easy, I've got good logical sense and am really good at math, never needed to study until uni. Still doing ok there but not the best anymore.

Procastrinate is my middle name. I don't have any good eating habits, I can't manage my time, my sleeping routine is HORRIBLE, my job allows me to work whenever I can so I exploit it by sleeping until almost noon very often, I've even started smoking recently. I don't seem to be moving forward with my life, but I don't even know what I want from this life, one thing I know is that I want financial freedom.

This blog is not gonna be for my great poker career. I've started this blog to try motivate myself and fish for advices. Hopefully I will start moving forward, get rid of bad habits, develop some good ones, including playing poker and studying it.

I've got 30bi for 7s or 60bi for 3.5s so I still don't know what I'll play. That's all I had to say for now, I'll add some more later.
      ANY Advices on how to improve myself are extremely helpful
  • 7 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey ihasLuck,

Welcome to the blogs :)

I have a serious problem with procrastination too. And bad habits. Gonna quit smoking shortly and that's something else I've been procrastinating about.

Maybe we can both help each other be better.

Cheers

Laz
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Welcome to blogging section!

2 advices for you

1) Watch videos and read articles from Schnitzelfish here on Poker Strategy (he will help you a lot with setting habits, tasks, goals, tracking,keeping yourself motivated , finding direction in life you want etc)

2) 60 buy ins for 3.5$ sound better then 30 for 7s. Still I think 60 buy ins is not enough of a roll. I hope you have good run and build your roll fast. You may also look into clearing some deposit bonus on Microgaming to boost your roll and play 2.75 euro limit there. Traffic is very bad compared to Stars so this all depends on how many tables you play and how fast you want to move up!

All the best, will be following !
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      Welcome to blogging section!

2 advices for you

1) Watch videos and read articles from Schnitzelfish here on Poker Strategy (he will help you a lot with setting habits, tasks, goals, tracking,keeping yourself motivated , finding direction in life you want etc)

2) 60 buy ins for 3.5$ sound better then 30 for 7s. Still I think 60 buy ins is not enough of a roll. I hope you have good run and build your roll fast. You may also look into clearing some deposit bonus on Microgaming to boost your roll and play 2.75 euro limit there. Traffic is very bad compared to Stars so this all depends on how many tables you play and how fast you want to move up!

All the best, will be following !
      Oh yes I totally forgot about Schnitzelfish, I read some of his stuff as he was starting, will totally check it out again.
      As for brm, I think I could manage with 30BI if I set up a rule for adjusting limits quickly. Anyway this is only my poker BR, I don't rely on it at all.
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey ihasLuck,

Welcome to the blogs :)

I have a serious problem with procrastination too. And bad habits. Gonna quit smoking shortly and that's something else I've been procrastinating about.

Maybe we can both help each other be better.

Cheers

Laz
      Yeah I'm still reading Allen Carr or whatever the dude is. Interesting stuff, thing is I'm doing it less and less often
      EDIT: Reading that is, still smoke the same
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      So today I've had some spare time and after starting my first balcony garden (self-grown veggies) I've played some MTTs. Played a few 7$ 6maxes on the side, was quite focused and happy with my play. Didn't get much luck, best finish was 9th in 2.2R tourney for 50$ which was quite frustrating (damn flip).
      Anyway read some psychology articles here and had found some interesting ideas, decided it's good to put my thoughts down before it gets lost.

First one.
      So I think I'll try to make some goals, but I'm not rushing into it since I fear they'd be ignored unless I plan them out carefully. I'll start by trying to figure out what I'm motivated to do and what I should do. Off the top of my head here's the list.

Things I should do more:

Study
      Wake up early (??Go to bed earlier)
      Read a book
      Read psychology articles on pokerstrategy
      Play poker

Things I should do less:

Wander on the web
      Getting stuck on a website too long (yes these are gonna be internet related mostly)
      Pointless youtube videos
      Pointless beer evenings
      video games

And I'm blank.. Maybe I'll keep adding to this list if I think of something else.
      So whenever I have free time (not sleeping, studying, working, cooking, socializing, spending time with GF) I should try to look at what I'm doing and which category it fits.

Second One.
      Organizing my poker learning. Analyzing hands, reading articles, all seem to get boring quite fast and lots of stuff forgotten and not used. I figure I'd have a better chance of improving if I stick to some sort of plan, it might be more fun also. So I think it would be better if I analyze one thing at a time. For example one week I decide to work on my play with suited connectors early-midgame, or playing isolated pots vs fish, or turn play as PFR, etc. By dividing situations into such groups I could get a much deeper understanding on those parts and be more confident about my play in specific spots without doubting too much about my plays. So far I've just tried to improve my overal SNG gameplay but I believe that said approach is more efficient.

So I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys which spots are very important to look at for 6max sngs ( don't be shy to be too specific)
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      Just what I needed!!
      Played a few mtts and busted 8th in 1.35$ turbo KO for 100$ and cashed 2 entries out of 4 in 1UP FTP tournament, one of which for 1st place (1.2k$) :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
      Got the much needed BR boost both for life expenses and poker.Withdrew most, and left myself ~550$ to for poker.

I'm planning to play an occasional mtt session alongside with 7$ 6max stts. Currently got lots of uni work, hopefully will find some time to work on my poker career around Easter.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      :O My procrastination never ends up with scores like that :f_biggrin:

Seriously well done :s_thumbsup:

More please

Laz