Need a little help - First "BIG" MTT

• MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      Hi, Guys,
      I have my first "big" MTT after winning a seat (very luckily)through s qualifying round.
      I play SnG's most of the time so was wondering what advice the MTT players could give me, what articles/videos you think I should re-read/watch.
      Thanks in advance
      Mack
  • 9 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi MackPDaddy,

This article will be a great help to you - http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/612/1/

What are the starting stacks? Buyin? Amount of players? Blind levels? Payout structure?

So your question is pretty hard to answer. As a new player in MTT's, you should play it alot like a SnG though. Try and steal and re-steal alot when in push-and-fold.

Regards,
      Stiev
    • MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      Hi, Cannell555

Thanks for the reply, I did read the article and do an hour on the ICM before the tourney.

Starting stack was 3000, blinds starting at 15/30 increasing every 10 minutes and a ante starting at 120/240 of 25 increasing every 10 minutes thereafter.

There were a total of 1801 players with 189 players paid, the prize pool was 32,000 guaranteed, I did notice this had increased to 43,000 as I was exiting.

I lasted a little over an hour,10 minutes or so after the first break, I'm going to post the HH on the sample hand for analyse and would appreciate your input there.

Many Thanks
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      Are u talking about the $26 32,000 guarentee on FTP. I have played this tourny a few times with decent success. I think the key to these deepstack tounies is playing hands with great implied odds (ie:low pocket pairs, suited connectors) early and trying to double or triple up within the first hour. My strategy for the early parts is close to BSS.
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      that artical about ICM blinds wont help much in a big MTT , speed/turbo final table ICM will help but not much else

MackPDaddy , there is no real right way or wrong way to play a MTT , its jusrt what you prefer & myself like to play loose early & try to build big stack & its helps making any MTT easier when blinds go up & you end up card dead

any MTT is all about changing gears and knowing when to steal/push/fold , playing players & taking advantage of game tightening/loosening up
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi curnow,

The article I linked to will help immensly. It states how we play in a push-or-fold situation. For the majority of the time in a tourney, we will be playing push-or-fold. Using this strategy is an absolute must, therefore its worth a beginner reading. If you don't think "it wont help much in a big MTT", then maybe you should read it again.

As for there being no right or wrong way, this is also wrong imo.

We have to adapt our strategy for different tourney layouts.

Regards,
      Stiev
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      ICM in tourneys is different then Icm on the bubble is different tho.. Download ICM trainer and put the settings on 9 of 9 players and some huge blinds

that should help
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Hi curnow,

The article I linked to will help immensly. It states how we play in a push-or-fold situation. For the majority of the time in a tourney, we will be playing push-or-fold. Using this strategy is an absolute must, therefore its worth a beginner reading. If you don't think "it wont help much in a big MTT", then maybe you should read it again.

As for there being no right or wrong way, this is also wrong imo.

We have to adapt our strategy for different tourney layouts.

Regards,
      Stiev
      think ICM for beginners in STT or final table of MTT, is great and will help them level the disadvantage a lot but in a MTT you gonna get called & you gonna lose some of these 70/30 and committing your stack you are going bust at some point

one thing , learning to be a good STT player will pay you off big time on a final table of MTT where the big money is in the top three

this is a freeroll from last night which I won
      http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z230/curnow_01/boyle600free.png
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Originally posted by curnow
      This "freeroll" is strange? First is up that is 600$ freeroll but prize money is 865$ second you can make two rebuys and one addon?

So for me more looks like 3$ rebuy MMT?
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slikec
      Originally posted by curnow
      This "freeroll" is strange? First is up that is 600$ freeroll but prize money is 865$ second you can make two rebuys and one addon?

So for me more looks like 3$ rebuy MMT?
      nornaly will double stack for rebuy and allow 5 rebuys + add-on

these are VIP points buy-in so restrict the field down & would not normaly play smallish freerolls because of lack of value + lot of them are Irish so get to know how they play and they play a lot of push/fold which does make it a bit easier to win it by trapping them