IM BACK - My Poker Blog

• Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Wow, the site has changed quite a bit since I made my very first deposit through you guys, perhaps 5/6/7 years ago. The content of the site is incredible, really great job. So, I'm back, and looking forward to a new challenge.

I thought I would write a little blog to update my progress this time. My strategy is currently NLHE 6 max starting with NL2, I have some goals which I eventually want to get to, but for now it is to dominate NL2, then NL4, possibly NL10 by end of summer. I want minimum gold status because I want to learn as much of this as possible. So I have decided to share my story:

I deposited £50 into Winner Poker because of an excellent bonus and rakeback scheme. My initial verdict, besides the horrendous iPoker network's software, is that it's not too bad actually.

It took me a couple of days to decide on my game, I tried FR NL2, Speed poker NL5 and 6max NL2, varying results. Today I decided on settling with 6 max.

I am playing the tables in euros but bankroll is in pounds... Just to confuse things. I am using HM2 and HUD with 8 stats, although I know it's not really necessary at this level, it's very useful for me.

PROGRESS

My first game was FR NL2 and I had a small success, dipped my toes in but only for 200 hands. Overall no real highlights except that I was up 23bb/100 (about $1) playing a 16/10/1.4 game (bit rubbish I know). The problem with the game is that I just got bored, it was slow and nitty, not enough action, ABC, boring. So I moved on.

NL5 speed poker was next, lots of action so I got my fix, but lots of variance too and I took a beating. I didnt have a clue what I was doing or who I was playing (or rather paying). It was horrendous. I played a 19/17/3.0 game and before I knew it 1700 hands passed and I was down two stacks (20% of my whole bankroll wiped out....) It was clearly a bad decision to go there. So I threw in the towel, had some lunch and decided to try 6 max NL2 instead. So off I went.

Well I am glad I did, NL2 6max is the ideal game for me at the moment. Multitabling 6 a time. 1669 hands played today, 21/19/3.0 game, 12% 3bet and up 34 bb/100. So my bankroll is now back to £55, im in the green, my graph shows a healthy upward trend and life is good again. Bankroll has swung around a bit, but I am now up to £55.92. It's a small gain, but I am happy so far.

I'll update again another day, let's hope I can keep things going
  • 18 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Nastypasty,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

The changes since I joined 3 years ago (Damn, just passed my anniversary without realising), have been momentous. Our strategy section has recently been updated and given a new look and there is always something new happening.

Hope you crush and looking forward to seeing some nice giraffes.

Happy Grinding

Laz
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Well yesterday was really pants. I didn't enjoy it at all. I am down to £52.17 and i was left scratching my head. I couldn't really figure out what happened.

KK vs tricky river decision
      NL2 KK vs turn suckout

These were two hands I recognised as being a bit strange.

I played a few hands badly, and I played a few hands luckily, but overall I wqas down and frustrated yesterday.

Here are some pics:

I'll post more when I have it
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      I've just come back from a nice holiday to Bali, great place! If anyone likes to surf, but perhaps isnt the most advanced surfer in the world (like me), then Bali is perfect. Consistent sets, what more could you ask for...

Perhaps I should ask for more sets in poker too.

So a quick update, before I left on holiday I took a hammering. I had a few losing sessions, I think I even threw my mouse on the floor in rage from a few bad beats, bad form! So I switched off the computer, left it for a couple of a weeks and now here I am, refreshed from a holiday.

Bankroll has dropped to £48 and I havent even cleared my first $5 bonus yet at Winner poker.... There is still much work to be done

Today I am in the middle of a 7 table session, I look to be about €4 up which is great after about 300 hands, so I will carry on and see if I can claw myself back into the green.

I am not to annoyed with the losing sessions, I had some horrific beats, I am sure variance will put some into my favour soon.
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      So I finally cleared my first $5 sign up bonus from winner poker... Here what i want to know: is there any way of getting more rakeback? I am looking at my stats and over the 9000 hands I have played in total, I have spent pretty much $30 in rake. I have earned $5 back....

is that good?

So my stats for yesterday session:
      1700 hands VPIP 19.5 PFR 15 3bet 6.1 WTSD 25% and W$SD% 62% Agg 2.1
      Total winnings: $0.04
      Total rake: $3

Broke even yesterday, frustrating session, I got off to a poor start, clawed back everything, got ahead by $4/5 then took a couple of beats and decided to stop. PLayed a few hands badly, so I have work to do to plug some leaks, I also noticed a few hands where I didn't bet the turn hard enough so lost a few BBs out there too. But, I'll keep pushing on
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi Nastypasty,

in for the journey :s_cool:

And welcome to the blogs :)

Kind regards,
      Fran
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Winner poker balance: £51
      Sky poker balance: £98
      Opening stars balance:

I've lost my silver status, I think I might struggle to get it back now because I have shifted my poker platform over to pokerstars (unfortunately I already had my stars account before I joined poker strategy. So I won't earn any points).

I have updated from HEM/HM2 to PT4 and I love it. I play NL2 6max zoom 4-tables and the HUD is really quick to update. The GUI is different and took some getting use to, but it's quick, its powerful, it's much better than HM2 imo.

So my session details from stars over the last few days:

Pretty happy with the results, now I will look at some leaks and play more hands
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      stars balance: $63
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Stars balance: $61

I hated yesterday so much. I went from $65 down to $54 and ended up on $61.

I learned that the feeling of being stacked is so much worse than the good feeling of stacking someone else. I mean if I stack someone, I feel smug and happy, but I kind of almost expect to win the majority of the time. If I get stacked I feel awful, so much worse than I did before I stacked someone.

It's like I have to stack two people to make up for the negativity of being stacked once. I really need to work on this emotion.

I am learning how to control my tilt now, accepting bad beats and coolers and draws that get there, but I am still getting annoyed with two things: preflop limp callers who donk the flop and players 4betting small suited connectors (I got stacked twice yesterday by this because I couldn't put those hands in their range)

Yesterdays session

Overall progress for NL2
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Well the Floyd Mayweather fight looked dodgy because pretty boy doesnt like Maidana's gloves?! Ridiculous. Man Utd lost again, to Sunderland... at HOME!... Joke. Crap day for sport for me today.

In poker news; so it turns out I will be getting credit from my poker stars account now. I must've originally setup pokerstars with a pokerstrategy code. After permitting pokerstars to share information, I should now be able to backdate the last 14 days of points to my account...

It's a shame this didnt happen before the end of the month, because i would have kept my silver status.

I just had another poor session $5.31 down. Got stacked 6 times, only two of those were avoidable because of me playing bad. Another two of those stacks were caused by villain catching two outers on the river (my AA vs KK and my KK vs QQ). The final two stacks were just unfortunate. What can you do. If I played them again, I would do the same everytime.

Couple of decent wins came from hitting nut flushes over smaller flush on the flop, delivered a couple of river bombs of my own, hitting a few sets etc.

My biggest issue at the moment is not knowing how to handle 4 bets and being scared to deliver a final river bet for value, in case of an all-in check-raise which I can't call. I know it sounds silly, but I seem scared of it. I seem to be content with getting two streets of value and checking the river down, where there is definite possibility to earn more value.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Nice result getting your account tracked, it won't take you long to get silver back.

Now if only those stacks would do the same!

I've removed the extra post for you by the way. :)

Run good, play well and have fun,

Mal.
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Perfect thank you, I wasn't sure if I should cry for help and say sorry for the noob error.
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Excellent!!

So my poker stars points have now been added from the last 14 days, which means that pokerstrategy have included the points from last month too. This means they have allowed me to keep my silver status and upgraded me. Thank you!

Poker stars balance: $70.21, I have had a good few session on NL2 zoom, FR. Happy with the results, I am back in the green and PT tells me I am running at 7.4BB/100 across all games since I initially deposited my $50. 16k hands. (Those stats ignore the hands I have played on the ipad/iphone)

Please with progress so far.
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      stars balance: $60 - ugghhhh

Well, yesterday sucked!

Loads of hands put in, nothing to show for it... I hate this game sometimes.

I feel like I should get something off my chest (which I know already is absolute nonsense). I feel that PokerStars rewards idiots. There. I said it. Here is an example: Watch this hand

I feel sometimes that PokerStars software is weighted a little more towards the underdog and that the river card follows a different algorithm. I seem to have had more premium pockets cracked on the river, than on any other street and more worryingly, my win percentage (when all in preflop) with AA is under 60%, KK is 63%. I thought it would be nearer to 80%..

So I know my ranting is pathetic, but it bothers me, I got tilted, I gave up yesterday before I started bleeding more money away, today I'll try to rebuild. I hope. I tell you what, a string of defeats knocks your confidence so much, right? Ugghhhh.
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      stars balance: $74

The swing changed in the right direction this time. I had a few AA hold up... it was like my whinging got rewarded?!

Best hand was QQ PF there was 4bet and two callers board came JQx and I was up against AA and JJ. Tripled up and a few extras.

So I will stop complaining
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      Stars balance: $68

I can't really report on about $4 of my losses today because the new pokerstars update has wiped all my handhistory settings, so I lost about 1000 hands.

On the plus side, my statistics will show me to have better results that I actually have earned....

So I watched a few pretty cool videos today about stockmarket traders in London. Basically a hedgefund millionaire put up £1 million of his own cash to take on 8 untrained novices and turn them into investing machines. These guys came from all sorts of backgrounds and the videos documented their crash into the reality of hardcore trading, in the midst of a horrible recession. It was pretty good eye opener in the ways of a hedgefund, made me a little curious as to its possibilities...

All I could find about trading was binary options... Bit sceptical about it.

In other news, I have cashed out my Winner Poker £50, because I don't need to play that platform any more, especially now as I get my points from PokerStars. So I am going to invest that £50 into stars. Possibly have a stab at NL5

Wish me luck;
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      $62.35 - enough said
    • Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      So my stars balance now includes an extra £50 deposit and stands at $159.74, so instead of posting my balance, I will simply post my winnings.

Yesterday I was down to around $62, meaning winnings of $12. Today my winnings stand at $31.14 after a couple of decent sessions.

• Nastypasty
      Nastypasty
      Bronze
      nothing much to report yet, ive had a break for the last few days. I am still exploring binary options.

more to come