Need an Advice for 500$ deposit to Start

• RawadN
      Lately I decided to deposit 500$ to play poker.
      My plan is double up the 500$ to 1000$ in a period of 1 month.
      I know you'd win this money in a shorter time but it because i want to be safe.
      I am not a beginner at all but i am not professionnel.
      my question is:
      which game do u think i have to reach my goal
      thank you
  • 6 replies
    • Harrier88
      Do you mean what format of poker you should play, or what limit?

If it's about the format, I guess it doesn't really matter, because every format can potentially be played profitably. MTTs are difficult to grind, though, so maybe they wouldn't be a great choice. I'd personally recommend cash games, because they have a lower variance than most other formats.

If it's about the limit, then you just have to play the limit you're rolled for, and there's no way around it, no matter what you plan to achieve. That means that you should play NL10 at the moment, assuming you're a cash game player.

Also, doubling up an initial deposit of $500 in only a month is a quite ambitious goal. Are you sure you're up to it? What are your long-term goals?
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by RawadN
      Lately I decided to deposit 500$ to play poker.
      My plan is double up the 500$ to 1000$ in a period of 1 month.

my question is:
      which game do u think i have to reach my goal
      thank you
      Hi, RawadN...
      The problem is that you cannot "plan" to win anything.
      With your $500 you have only 20 Buy-ins for NL 25 cash.

Nice, but do you have the SKILL to win at that limit?

I would suggest that you practice sound bankroll management.
      Have a look at the paragraph heading "Realistic expectation of Profit" in this article:

In this article, read the section on "Bankroll Management"

If you approach it the right way, you will most likely make your $500, but if you're not careful, you can lose it all -- and rather quickly too.

If you look around the strategy section there are similar articles for Sit-N-Goes and for Multi-Table tournaments.

As for which game --
      Which game are you best at?
      Which game do you enjoy playing the most?

Best of luck,
    • Lazza61
      Hey RawadN,

Once you decide what type of games and limits you want to play, you should check out our Choosing the right Poker Room for you! thread.

You answer the questions from the original post and our awesome community will help you find a room that will maximise your chances.

• Justin37
      After 1 month pls reply here what is your current bankroll, what kind of games did you played. TQ
    • thazar
      Zoom NL50 SH, easy game :s_evil:
    • metalmonkey80
      Hi RawadN,

Welcome to Pokerstrategy.
      Just recently I have found myself in the same situation as yourself. I had $300 to deposit.
      After some reading I found a site that had lots of players and a good bonus structure. (poker stars)

I started playing 0.01/0.02 as I had no idea what I was doing.
      All I knew was that in order to make this work and get some profit I would need to spend a lot of hours learning and grinding up fpp by playing multiply tables at the same time.
      If your serious in making money you have to treat it like a job.

So far I have found the help on this site very useful as It does really help you stay out of trouble. If you have deposited already with a room I would recommend printing out a starting hand chart and sticking by it until you find it becoming second nature.

I lost most of my bank roll due to playing on tables that were more experienced than the level I was.

To date I have spent a month now playing like its my job to. I have adopted a better life style and 80% play 20% learn, my bankroll is back up to $300, i am playing 0.10/0.05 now and maybe after another month I will move up to 0.25/0.10, but always stick to your bank roll management, if you don't have 25 by ins Big stack strategy ( it will be hard to keep afloat.

Hope this is some help to you and good luck in reaching your goal, I would be able to hazard a guess to how long it will take you to double up to $1000. But will be interested in hearing when you do.

My regards