6 max Turbos and nothing else

• etro
      etro
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!

Seeing so many SNG blogs sprawling in the blog section, I decided to try and give it a shot myself. My name is Deni and I'm from Bosnia. I've been playing poker since what seems like an eternity, beginning with cash games and ending up at sngs. Currently my main games are the 30$ 6 max turbo SNGs on Pokerstars, where I play as Exte.

My primary reason for starting this blog is to motivate myself to play more, being pretty lazy in general and having had ridiculously low volume since I started a full time job as of January and to post the occasional HH for review and hopefully constructive discussion. I hope that I'll be able to set some goals and to have an obligation to fulfil them.

I'd start with something modest, like maintaining platinum star each month and for the time being hopefully achieving SN by the end of the year. Depending on the progress and stakes (I plan on tackling the 60s in a couple of weeks) I would probably reevaluate my goals.

Here's my yearly graph with a laughable volume.

Thanks for stopping by and gl at the tables.
  • 13 replies
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Bronze
      Hi Deni,
      Blogging is great way to motivate yourself to put in more studying and playing itself. May I ask where do you live in Bosnia?

Also, in for the journey and keep us updated,

Best of luck,
      Frankie
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Welcome Etro!

I think I played you last year quite a lot on 15s :)
      Did you have by any chance avatar with some bankroll management building site???
      If so that was you , if not my bad ;)

Results so far look good on 30s, are you table selecting and if so how do you approach it?
      How many tables are you playing maximum ?

Subscribed, GL and look forward to the updates!
    • etro
      etro
      Bronze
      @Frankie
      Thanks for the encouragement Frankie, I'm actually not the type who posts and blogs much, which is all the more unusual for me to engage in this sort of a motivational method, but it can only be of benefit. I'm from Sarajevo btw.

@Ivica
      We played together at the 15s and only a few games at the 30s.
      I always used to 9 sometimes 12 table, however second half of last year my new staker asked me to only 6 table the 30s which helped me to really focus on the tables and pick up lots of small things that one misses out masstabling. Having had pretty good success that way I stuck with that, although I'll switch back to 9 tables pretty soon.
      Regarding table selection I try hard to avoid the very best regs, since I have no problems admitting when someone is better than me. That being said there are many bad players and mediocre regs so table selection should not be a priority.
      I never had said avatar, mine is pretty simple, "exte" on a white background.
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Thanks for all your answers!
      I remember you, mixed you up with another guy with similar avatar.

Who is your coach/staker if its not a big secret?
    • etro
      etro
      Bronze
      Things are going decently, wouldn't mind running with the red line though.

For all those who advocate folding AK pre to an allin, DON'T!!!

Poker Stars $27.84+$2.16 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: t1500 75 BBs
      SB: t1500 75 BBs
      BB: t1500 75 BBs
      Hero (UTG): t1500 75 BBs
      MP: t1500 75 BBs
      CO: t1500 75 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is UTG with A :heart: K :club:
      Hero raises to t60, 3 folds, SB raises to t1500 all in, 1 fold, Hero calls t1440 all in

Flop: (t3020) Q :club: Q :heart: J :spade: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Turn: (t3020) K :heart: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t3020) 9 :spade: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t3020
      SB shows A :club: T :diamond: (a straight, Ten to Ace)
      Hero shows A :heart: K :club: (two pair, Kings and Queens)
      SB wins t3020

And one more vs my favourite regtard :s_biggrin:

Poker Stars $27.84+$2.16 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t100/t200 Blinds - 3 players

Hero (BB): t2670 13.35 BBs
      BTN: t3976 19.88 BBs
      SB: t2354 11.77 BBs

Pre Flop: (t300) Hero is BB with 4 :club: 4 :diamond:
      1 fold, SB raises to t2354 all in, Hero calls t2154

Flop: (t4708) 9 :spade: Q :heart: 3 :spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Turn: (t4708) 8 :club: (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: (t4708) 2 :club: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t4708
      Hero shows 4 :club: 4 :diamond: (a pair of Fours)
      SB shows 4 :spade: 6 :diamond: (high card Queen)
      Hero wins t4708
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Who said 30s were not soft? :D
    • Demonic226
      Demonic226
      Bronze
      Ah I also played you a couple of times yesterday. Subbed and good luck!
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Bronze
      I pretty much knew it was Sarajevo :)

nice results for now, keep it up :)
    • etro
      etro
      Bronze
      Ah I also played you a couple of times yesterday. Subbed and good luck!

Thanks buddy, I've been following your blog too together with a few others.

I pretty much knew it was Sarajevo smile

Should be your best guess, statistically speaking ;)

Here are two hands I was unsure about how to proceed.

Poker Stars $27.84+$2.16 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t15/t30 Blinds - 6 players

BB: t1315 43.83 BBs
      Hero (UTG): t1580 52.67 BBs
      MP: t1470 49 BBs
      CO: t1440 48 BBs
      BTN: t1785 59.50 BBs
      SB: t1410 47 BBs

Pre Flop: (t45) Hero is UTG with J :spade: A :diamond:
      Hero raises to t75, 2 folds, BTN calls t75, 2 folds

Flop: (t195) 3 :diamond: 2 :spade: 9 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets t90, BTN raises to t210, Hero calls t120

Turn: (t615) 9 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (t615) 7 :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets t369, Hero ?

Villain is 25/20/2,5 over 700 hands and is an average reg. His line doesn't make much sense as he should hardly have a raising range on that flop. Given so few value combos do we have an easy call here?

Poker Stars $27.84+$2.16 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds - 3 players

BB: t2895 57.90 BBs
      Hero (BTN): t4340 86.80 BBs
      SB: t1765 35.30 BBs

Pre Flop: (t75) Hero is BTN with A :spade: K :club:
      Hero raises to t102, 1 fold, BB calls t52

Flop: (t229) 9 :heart: 4 :spade: A :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets t100, Hero raises to t275, BB raises to t450, Hero calls t175

Turn: (t1129) J :heart: (2 players)
      BB bets t550, Hero ?

Villain is a 40/27/1.8 fish. Do we fold the turn, and if not do we call a river shove?
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Hand 1

He can flat at 15/30 most of PPs as well as 1010-JJ in his range +AJ and AQ (if he doesn't 3 bet those vs UTG depends on his tendencies). He also has lots of J10,QJ,KJ,KQ all suited type of hands from his btn vs utg range.

The line seems like he raises flop with 2 overs and FD then slows down and bets missed draw on the river. I think aggro regs will raise there mid pps not just 2 overs and FD. On the other hand he can very well show set , poker, over pair but I think he would call flop and raise turn with those.
      The question is, can he thin value bet river with mid pps knowing that you will call A high there often on that run out?

I don't like river call cause reg knows you play UTG tight and once calling his flop raise in general I expect river bet to always be some value. Whether its over pair, sets, poker its the real question + if he can super thin value bet vs you (depending how he sees you pre and post flop). In general I would fold A high there. Also I am not fan of calling OOP a high vs reg there. If you believe you are ahead you should 3 bet him on that flop, if you decide to call raise flop OOP you will 99% of time face difficult bluff catch OOP decision on river :)

2nd hand vs fish is much easier.
      He has sets in his range as well as 2 pair combos. I don't think he will bluff you with random 9x or random Ax.
      Again depends how aggressive he is post flop in general and vs you (do you have some showdown where he donk bet or c/raise or played aggressive OOP in general and shoved ever some bluff or light stacking?).
      I would find here fold also even tough there is way less combos that beat us , just the fact that he is fish and takes action on flop AND TURN signals me big hand.
      Only reason to call him down is if he is capable of bluffing on those types of dry flops/turns and you have showdown info on him shoving you bluffs, weak holding, light stacking etc

In general both hands fold IMO

Keep them coming , really like the idea of hands on 30s :D
    • etro
      etro
      Bronze
      It can be said that the last month was a failure volumewise. I somehow managed to "grind out" 200 games and make some sort of profit, but it won't cut it in the long run. The problem I have is some sort of post work fatigue, where I just feel like sleeping all day. Defo need to change my diet and engage in some sport activities, basically waiting for this depressing weather to clear.
      Since volume doesn't seem to be able to motivate me, maybe money can :s_biggrin: I'm planning a trip to SE Asia mid August and I'm gonna be needing around 2,5K$ and paying for it with poker makes it just so much more baller. Well, the goal is to make it as soon as possible, 2 months maybe?, I don't know, I'd be fine with that.

Anyways, here are some stats from the last month:

:diamond: Games: 208
      :diamond: ABI: 27$
      :diamond: ROI 8%
      :diamond:P rofit: 482$

At least this month has started somewhat more promising, as having up to four yellow fishes (my colour for the most clueless of fish) can cause wonders to one's green line :s_cool:

And for the end two hands:

First one is just a facepalm call by a SS diamond star player and a pretty decent reg overall, not sure if he's aware just how -EV his call is.

Poker Stars $27.84+$2.16 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t75/t150 Blinds - 3 players

SB: t2456 16.37 BBs
      BB: t4855 32.37 BBs
      Hero (BTN): t1689 11.26 BBs

Pre Flop: (t225) Hero is BTN with A :heart: Q :club:
      Hero raises to t1425, SB raises to t2456 all in, 1 fold, Hero calls t264 all in

Flop: (t3528) 2 :heart: 3 :heart: 4 :spade: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Turn: (t3528) T :club: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t3528) Q :heart: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t3528
      SB shows 7 :diamond: A :club: (high card Ace)
      Hero shows A :heart: Q :club: (a pair of Queens)
      Hero wins t3528

The second one is vs IMO the best mid stakes reg:

Poker Stars $27.84+$2.16 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10/t20 Blinds - 6 players

SB: t1480 74 BBs
      BB: t1790 89.50 BBs
      UTG: t1320 66 BBs
      Hero (MP): t1370 68.50 BBs
      CO: t1440 72 BBs
      BTN: t1600 80 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is MP with A :spade: K :spade:
      UTG calls t20, Hero raises to t70, 3 folds, BB calls t50, UTG raises to t200, Hero calls t130, BB calls t130

Flop: (t610) T :spade: 7 :spade: 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, UTG bets t510, Hero raises to t1170 all in, BB folds, UTG calls t610 all in

When he makes it 200, I give him a range of KK+ or perhaps QQ+, AK+ if he feels particularly frisky. What about the preflop call then and the shove given the flop?
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Glad to see you back man!

Write more about SE Asia trip please :D

Regarding 1st hand
      That reg probably things you are shoving capped range there for 11+bb so he decided to call you with A7o. Still super bad call from SB...

Hand 2
      If that reg is 3 betting "a lot" he can certainly do that with 77 and 1010 pf vs UTG raise, therefore expect sets on this flop (as well as monsters).
      If you put him on KK+ for 3 bet pf, you shouldn't call with AKs his 3 bet. QQ+ AK are also super tight and AKs is behind that range but could be flat just because odds and playability. Once he has JJ+ in his range, AKs becomes strong value :)
    • etro
      etro
      Bronze
      Things are going pretty well so far, I'm currently in a nice upswing, hitting boards left and right. Let's try and not fuck things up by getting cocky. The volume sucks as usual, but last week I was in Tirana, Albania on a business trip and I didn't feel like playing on the laptop, so I was one-tabling a freeroll in the hotel room while watching telly which I shipped for 415$, lol. If I go on this way I may cover the costs for the trip by the end of the month. Here comes the luckbox graph. :f_biggrin:

Regarding the trip, we ought to be traveling to Bangkok and Koh Samui. All is agreed on, we just need to buy the tickets. The cheapest ones I found were 600 EUR from Istanbul via KL by Malasian and additional 100 EUR from Sarajevo to Istanbul. If anyone knows a cheaper way, please let me know. I was already in Thailand 4 years ago, on Phuket, and it was the most extraordinary and interesting trip I had. What I'd really like to do however is a inland discovery trip through Indochina, but it's hard to find people for it.
      Anyways, I'm really excited and just want to book the tickets as soon as possible, so that there will be no going back.