Betwin90

• Betwin90
      Betwin90
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I've just found your site, got signed up with Poker 770 and started the beginner lessons. I'm really impressed so far!

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I play poker as a hobby, but would love to improve. I generally enjoy card games and really like the competitive nature of poker. I like to gamble when the odds are in my favour, this is definitely possible in poker if your good enough.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I tend to get either bored or tilted and play bad bluffs or bad starting hands which ends up with me losing my stack or sucking out on my opponent at the last minute. I find it hard to fold generally and even when I feel beat I tend to call down to showdown if I have two pair or better.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Tight aggressive play is being selective with starting hands (only playing a tight range) and using position to your advantage. When entering a pot a TAG will play aggressively betting their made hands or draws, folding to large amounts of resistance.
  • 4 replies
    • Betwin90
      Betwin90
      Bronze
      What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I think that hands could be played differently depending on your read of players e.g. if there are very tight players in SB and BB and the action is folded to you on the button it may be profitable to open your range of hands to raise as the blinds are always likely to fold.

Do you have questions about your preflop play?

What hands would you suggest to go all in with pre-flop? Would this only be AA and KK? Would this include AKs or AKo?

What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range?

46.32% Equity
    • Betwin90
      Betwin90
      Bronze
      You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

Preflop it is essentially a coinflip with 48.75% equity.

Postflop you are crushed with only 3.72% on a rainbow board and 18% on a suited board.

What would you do in the following hand? (

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Preflop: BU calls in position with only the blinds to act therefore I assume his range is tight-loose 22+, A7o+, A2s+, 67s+ (20% of hands).
      As BB is OOP, I would expect his range to be slightly tighter. No smaller suited connectors just JQs+, higher A's like AJo+ and A10s+. (14% of hands).

Flop: All players check. On this board (low cards relatively bunched), that players are either sitting on over cards, straight/flush draws, or slow playing hands like 66 (bad thing to do on a drawing board!)

Turn: As BB folds I would put him on missed over cards or small pocket pairs which missed.
      Since we checked the flop and then bet the turn we are representing the straight (A4 or 44) or a high pocket pair.
      I think that the player on the BU has the hand we are trying to represent (A4 or 44) or believes that we are bluffing and has some small hand e.g. A6 or pocket pair.

Because the only hands we can beat are complete bluffs and because we have very little chance of improving on the river I would fold in this situation. I would have been reluctant to make this continuation bet in the first place after checking the flop.
    • Betwin90
      Betwin90
      Bronze
      An extract from Strategy after the flop (Lesson 4)

"EXAMPLE 23 - STRONG COMBODRAW
      Before the flop - NL25 Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
      You are on the CO

UTG1, UTG2, UTG3, MP1, MP2 and MP3 fold
      You raise to $1
      BU calls $1
      SB folds
      BB calls $0.75

Flop - Active Players (3): You, BB, BU - Pot: $3.10

BB checks
      You bet $2.50
      BU raises to $8
      BB folds

You have a strong flush draw + OESD; 15 cards would probably give you the best hand. With this many outs you can go all-in. This wouldn't even be a semi-bluff; even if your opponent is guaranteed to call, your hand is profitable."

- Could someone please breakdown the calculation to show that it is profitable to go all in on the flop with both an OESD and Flush draw?
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Betwin90

Welcome to the beginner's course and I see that you're new to pokerstrategy.com as well good stuff on finding your way here. It sems that you have made a great start on the homework which is good to see. Bogdan, the course coach will be by in the coming days to see to your homework. I hope you enjoy the rest of the course.

Regards,
      Luke