Two months - Two Limits

• Rich552
      Hi my name is Richard. (Rich7109)

I have been playing poker for a while now with more less success. I play 10NL full ring and have decided to take things seriously and try to improve my game in order to move up the limits.

My goals for April;

Reach $750 bankroll for 25NL

My goals for May;

Reach $1500 bankroll for 50NL

I will play 6 hours a day from 5pm-11pm. This is peak time on pokerstars. I may consider playing early mornings at the weekends between the hours of 5am-8am. Playing this early in the morning may allow me to find softer games due to the time zone. (midnight in america).

I will make use of the day by conducting session reviews and study.

My aim is to also to read at least one poker book a week. I will start with Building a Bankroll by Pawal "verneer" Nazarewicz.

In addition to the above I will also get some private coaching to help iron out my leaks and develop a good default game and sound thought process, which will be an ongoing development.

I will be updating my blog daily and would welcome any strategy discussion. Also if anyone would like to do sweat sessions please let me know.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy following my progress.
  • 10 replies
    • metza
      Did you forget May?

Good luck with your goals.
    • Lazza61
      Hey Rich552,

Welcome to the blogs :)

It is so important when getting serious to have plans. You seem to have a nice set of plans there but like metza, I'm wondering about May.

Happy Grinding

• Rich552
      lol. Yes I have actually made a mistake there, I am including May in this although technically it would be almost three months which I feel is achievable. I have corrected that error now.
    • Rich552
      So my journey to 50NL begins. I thought what better way to start, than by looking back to where I've come from.

It has been a rough couple of months for me in regards to poker, so much so, I was contemplating whether the emotional stress was worth it. Fortunately I channelled my frustration to positive effect and used this inner sense of injustice to come up with this goal and the desire to improve my game and finally realise my potential in regards to poker.

Poker I feel, is much like life and fitness. You have to work at it, gradually you will start to see improvement step by step. It can all get a bit disillusioning at times when one fails to see the fruits of ones labour.

The key is to break it down session by session, run by run. I am a firm believer in an old latin proverb 'Mens sana in corpora sank' or 'healthy body, healthy mind'.

As such will also be keeping a record of my fitness goals and aspirations which I hope will one day lead me to complete an ironman, just as I hope to one day be playing poker at mid/high stakes professionally.

And so enough of the philosophising and on the subject at hand. What preceded my new outlook on poker? My run of bad luck is clearly illustrated in the graph below which shows me running at 10 stack below EV. However it was not destined to last.

My downswing ended just as soon as my new outlook and expectations for life and poker also changed. What expectations are these you might ask? Well, for starters I have formulated a plan for my life with which I hope to move forward. I am joining the armed forces in a few months and hope to one day be a reservist playing poker professionally.

So there you have my long term aspirations! See graph below;

Now for all of you folks still reading this blog I thank you for joining me on this journey through life. As you can probably tell by now, I plan to extend this blog in the future so upon completion, my goals will be reset accordingly.

Below follows my last two sessions during which I maintained a good win rate of 19.41BB/100 for saturday the 5th april and owing to a rather unlucky climax to todays session a 10.79BB/100 win rate for sunday 6th april. I actually managed to net almost $100 over three sessions (one 3hr session early saturday morning netting me $20).

See graphs below;

The unfortunate climax I alluded to earlier, during which I lost almost two buy ins in quick succession and which also led to me feeling pretty deflated at the end of a 5.5hr long grind follows;

No Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10
      9 players
      Formatted by - Mac OS X hand history analysis and tracking

UTG - UTG ($8.00)
      UTG+1 - UTG+1 ($10.34)
      UTG+2 - UTG+2 ($33.75)
      MP - MP ($6.20)
      MP2 - MP2 ($10.61)
      CO - CO ($33.62)
      BTN - BTN ($10.84)
      SB - SB ($9.50)
      BB - Hero ($10.00)

Preflop: ($0.15, 9 players) Hero is BB with K:spade: A:spade:
      2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $0.20, 2 folds, CO calls $0.20, 1 fold, SB calls $0.15, Hero raises to $1.00, 1 fold, CO calls $0.80, 1 fold

Flop: 5:club: 3:spade: 3:club: ($2.40, 2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.30, Hero raises to $9.00 (all-in), CO calls $6.70

Turn: 6:club: ($20.40, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: K:club: ($20.40, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Total Pot: $20.40
      Hero shows K:spade: A:spade: (two pair, Kings and Threes)
      CO shows Q:club: J:heart: (a flush, King high)

CO wins $19.48

Not the most obvious call at first glance and I was pretty horrified when I saw BDFD+overcards but if you had been sat on this players table I am pretty sure you would of done the same. I was however, still a little tilted as I folded pocket aces to him a few hands earlier after he min/R'd the turn after calling flop so I have to put this loss down to bad judgement and tilt. I felt sick at not calling the turn previous as he turned out to be less of a loose passive and more a complete aggro monkey/tard.

The second hand demonstrates quite aptly to what extent emotion can interfere with good judgement.

8 players

UTG - UTG ($10.02)
      UTG+1 - UTG+1 ($10.00)
      MP - MP ($9.83)
      MP2 - MP2 ($9.45)
      CO - CO ($15.77)
      BTN - Hero ($12.53)
      SB - SB ($8.62)
      BB - BB ($11.05)

Preflop: ($0.15, 8 players) Hero is BTN with J:heart: J:spade:
      4 folds, CO raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $1.00, 2 folds, CO calls $0.70

Flop: 5:diamond: T:club: J:diamond: ($2.15, 2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $1.00, CO calls $1.00

Turn: 7:club: ($4.15, 2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $2.60, CO calls $2.60

River: A:diamond: ($9.35, 2 players)
      CO bets $4.30, Hero calls $4.30

Total Pot: $17.95
      CO shows K:club: Q:spade: (a straight, Ten to Ace)
      Hero mucks J:heart: J:spade:

CO wins $17.14

I tanked realising I should have jammed flop or turn, all of this within a few minutes of the hand above. I learned a valuable lesson today on why all the hand reading, polarisation and combos counting in the world counts for nothing if you don't accept defeat on the river. There wasn't a single hand left in his range that didn't have me crushed, perhaps two pair that turns itself into a bluff but I am still just subconsciously trying to justify my spew. Horrible spot, easy fold. Idiotic decision.

That concludes day one and two. I will be posting my next update monday night or tuesday morning.

I will sign off the post with a daily quote. Todays is from one of my favourite political figures,

"Never, never, never give up."

Sir Winston Churchill
    • Tomaloc
      i really dislike your flop betsizing in JJ hand.
      screw balance, this is nl10 and in this board his range is going to be rather inelastic in that he continues with any broadways and folds anything else pretty much regardless of sizing.

river is interesting, i remember zoomfr being sickeningly nitty. :D
      can he have twopair or worse sets vbetting (in his eyes he's not turning it into a bluff) about 1/4 of the time? these hands would probably go for another c/c because people are mostly super afraid and don't vbet thinly so folding is ok i guess.
      Nice goals and organizational skills :) ,

I'm in,

Best of luck sir,
    • Rich552
      Update for tuesday (and monday for those of you who are going to ask where it is!)

Well finally got into the gym and feel great. I made a awesome circuit using mainly cross fit exercises and made sure they were complex movements. Loved it although it was hard going and felt a little worse for wear the next day. (God bless the GF for the great massage which eventually got me mobile)

Goals for April: Improve Weighted Squat, Reduce recovery time needed and increase overall fitness. (aim to workout five out of seven days a week with two rest days on weekend.)

As far as poker goes my run of good luck came to an end and lost 2.5 buy ins on monday and broke even on tuesday.

Bankroll at $346. Still don't seem to grasp poker as a concept generally, I am still heavily results oriented and just can't seem to drill into my head the purpose of poker is making money. Not to inflate ones ego or outplay Phil Ivey. (in my wildest dreams I have done this!)

It comes down to exploitive folding. This is by far my worst leak. Had a micro check up which revealed, well, I did get some useful tips on blind defending and 3betting.

I can see now that I have to dedicate my time to study and not play. If I only play one hour a night employing all the concepts I have learned up until that point, it will be a far more productive and rewarding session than any run good variance rich 5hr long haul could be.

Quality, not quantity is the new goal for this month. Just as with fitness, practice does NOT make perfect! Perfect practice does! Keep repeating bad movements or bad thought processes and you will only reinforce these bad habits and thus build a poor foundation from the start.

My thai boxing instructor taught me that along time ago. It has taken me countless months of frustration to finally recall those words of wisdom. (Please don't reply with an arsey comment of "well actually, like you know, it wasn't that guy who said that, it was like, um this guy from blah de blah land" please save your breath.)
    • Rich552
      Called time on wednesday's grind at 1,198 hands as I felt I just moving away slightly from my A game. I found myself in a couple of spots today where my intuition proved to be spot on and finally engaged my brain to make what I think was a good river fold although I would welcome opinion on it.

9 players

UTG - UTG ($4.54)
      UTG+1 - Hero ($15.75)
      UTG+2 - UTG+2 ($6.49)
      MP - MP ($11.10)
      MP2 - MP2 ($9.86)
      CO - CO ($11.06)
      BTN - BTN ($11.88)
      SB - SB ($10.77)
      BB - BB ($1.20)

Preflop: ($0.15, 9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with Q:heart: Q:club:
      1 fold, Hero raises to $0.30, 3 folds, CO calls $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: 4:heart: 9:spade: 5:diamond: ($1.05, 3 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, CO calls $0.50, BTN calls $0.50

Turn: 8:diamond: ($2.55, 3 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, CO calls $1.20, 1 fold

River: K:spade: ($4.95, 2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.20, 1 fold, Uncalled bet of $3.20 returned to CO

Total Pot: $4.95

CO wins $4.95

UTG+1 vpip 10/ pfr 9/ 3bet 8% (2/25)/ AF 3.0/ called PFR 4% (1/24)/ 65 hands
      BU vpip 19/ pfr 15 over 200 hands with a WTSD of only 8%

I make standard open and c-bet for 1/2 pot on dry board. Same on the turn. I feel villain would check behind hands that I beat here (TT-JJ for 12 combos) whereas he would only bet with hands that have me crushed (44,99,55,KK,AA,67s for 22 combos). Would my opponent turn his hand into a bluff here? Im not sure if I turned my hand face up when I checked? perhaps my bet sizing indicated weakness what do you think?

Not a bad session and managed to boost my bankroll to $375 so at least I am moving in the right direction.

upload an image[/img]

Just got my new book through the post! Dynamic Full Ring Poker by James 'Splitsuit' Sweeney. Should be good reading.

I would like to end today's post with a quote from a greek guy you may of heard of;

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.' - Aristotle
    • Rich552
      Well not a bad session. I have really been enjoying reading the dynamic full ring book and have been taking sections from both to implement into my game on a session by session basis. Today's session was all about isolating, weat tight and weak loose limpers. I think I did quite well and did spot a couple of good opportunities to utilise this strategy and incorporate it into my game.

Bankroll is now up to $418 dollars so making the move 16NL. Hope this goes well. Just going to be focusing on my game and two tabling for the moment. That is until I feel both my bankroll and ability justify adding the extra 4-6 table one at a time.

upload images free[/img]

I will sign off my post today with a quote from Thomas A. Edison;

'Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.'

Very true.
      ^great thought indeed.

Also, awesome graphs and progress,

Keep it up and keep us updated please :)

All the best,