tournament hands

• pokerst4r
      pokerst4r
      Bronze
      Hi All

I am struggling to finish in the money on tournaments although i usually finish close. i have a bankroll of $230 and play $2 speed MTT.
      I have a good understanding of the starting hands chart ( ie KQ late, only call pairs up to 99 if no one raises etc) but was woundering am i playing to tight for this type of tourament or should i just losen up around the 100 people left (if 60 places pay) or am i using the wrong strategy for this type of MTT

any help would be welcome
      Dave AKA Pokerst4r
  • 2 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi pokerst4r,

Playing TaG isn't the best in speed MTT's. You simply dont get dealt enough hands. Speed MTT's require more advanced play imo. Which will come to you in time, when you have played alot more MTT's. You need to change gears alot more often in speed MTT's, which again, will come with time.

I would advise any new MTT player to play normal speed blind levels, and also with double stack. This allows you to play true TaG, and will help you out alot. You need to know about push-or-fold play, and be confident with it. When you are approaching the bubble you need to bully the table, and abuse the situation.

PS: Moved this thread to the MTT section ;)

Practise, Practise, Practise!
      Stiev
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I agree... speed and turbo MTTs will result in a lot of variance... most of the time when I have made a final table here it's been push of fold for 2+ hours....

Generally with MTTs I'll play fairly loose from late position to build my stack... Also instead of folding KQ, AJ oop I will often limp trust my post flop play and reads....

Stick with normal timed MTTs and low buy-ins.... they will all add to your experience.... and don't get discouraged if you go through big runs without moneying.... it happens.... getting ITM is not that exciting anyway, it's all about the final table and winning it....

gl