We live and we learn, we crash and we burn [Blog]

• Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Hi all!

I haven't had an active blog for a while, and when I was reading my old finnish one yesterday, I decided it is time for me to start a new one. This time here and in english.

I am 27 (turning into 28 on 24th) and I'm living in Oulu, Finland atm. I will graduate within two months from my school and will move to another town, but that's another story.

Poker is a fun hobby for me. A hobby that pays my other hobbys. Fishing mainly.

I have played poker for some time - seven or eight years - and have tried almost every variant there is. Mostly I have been playing No Limit Holdem cash games and some tournaments, but I have had some minor succes in PLO too.

A couple of days ago I started playing NL2 games and decided that I will move to NL5 once I have won 50 buy ins in NL2. I just finished a session where I reached that goal.

After 8. april

I usually play games up to NL50, although it had been a while since I last time played games that big. The reason why I wanted to play the smallest games is that a friend of mine asked me if I could teach him so he would get started in poker. I haven't played NL2 for a long time so I wanted to get a feeling about the players my friend will encounter. I must admit, I haven't had so much fun playing poker for some time!
      Another reason is the upcoming SCOOP, which will bring the reload bonus to PokerStars. So I have withdrawn most of my roll from the site to be able to deposite back once the bonus is available.

I hope you will enjoy my blog. I will try to be active and give you some updates when ever I have time or when there is something to share with you guys!

Good luck at the tables! :f_thumbsup:

- Lurjus
  • 48 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hey there Lurjus and welcome to blogs in the English community!

I used to do a lot of fishing, sea fishing mainly and won a few prizes but it was a fun thing really.

As for nl2, well, if you've played nl50 you will have so much fun down there in the trenches! :D :D nice to see you got to nl5 so quick, cool job.

We'll keep an eye on this one, I like challenge type blogs they are always interesting.

I hope your friend does really well and you both have fun, which is the main thing isn't it?

Best regards - and run good,

Mal.
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Hi everyone!

It's easter holidays, and I'm visiting my hometown. This is also the place where I will move in in the near future. Even though the spring is very early this year, there is still alot of snow and I where icefishing today. There was almost one meter of ice still. I was trying to find some graylings, but I only managed to get a nice pile of pearch. :f_p:

When it comes to my fishing hobby, you could say that the fly fishing is my cup of tee. I do also make some wobblers for salmon and trout, but fly tying has been a big part of my life for over twenty years. And the river is the place to be when the summer comes! :f_thumbsup:

I have also been playing some poker. Like promised, I moved to NL5 and I still feel like I'm really crushing it. Today I was thinking about my next move and decided to skip NL10 and to go straight in to NL16.

Like Mal said, the main thing for me when playing is to have fun! That is something everyone should remember. There has been times when I have forgot this, and it really has an impact on my motivation and when I don't have motivation, I forget to study the game.

Good luck to you at the tables! :s_thumbsup:

- Lurjus
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Hello!

It's still sunday, but the song is still beautifull

Like I said in my previous post, I have skipped NL10 and am now playing NL16 atm. The start wasn't that good and I haven't been playing that well. Despite my feeling about my play, I have had my moments and I have to admit that I have been quite lucky in some spots. Also the games feel quite soft, especially in weekends. All in all, I have to be very happy about my results.

It hasn't been raining recently and it is the worst time of pollen and road dust atm. This hasn't been a problem for me before, but for some reason this year I have been sneezing alot and I feel so stuffy (if that is the right word for it). All that makes me feel a bit ill and I have a feeling that my brains aren't functioning fully. Hopefully this will be over soon! :f_frown:

---

Here is one example of me spewing and not thinking straight (and being lucky :coolface: ).

After raising the A-high flop, what is villain folding on the turn to my shove? NOTHING!!! After all, he gives me so good odds to just call, but I'm like 'he must be weak and if he's not, I have my outs!' :facepalm:

Poker Stars, $0.08/$0.16 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $52.74 (329.6 bb)
      SB: $5.29 (33.1 bb)
      BB: $19.33 (120.8 bb)
      MP: $34.01 (212.6 bb)
      CO: $18.17 (113.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 7 8
      MP raises to $0.48, CO folds, Hero raises to $1.52, 2 folds, MP calls $1.04

Flop: ($3.28) 5 A 3 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.84, MP raises to $4.64, Hero calls $2.80

Turn: ($12.56) 6 (2 players)
      MP bets $5.92, Hero raises to $46.58, MP calls $21.93 and is all-in

River: ($68.26) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $68.26 pot ($1.50 rake)
      Final Board: 5 A 3 6 9
      Hero showed 7 8 and won $66.76 ($32.75 net)
      MP showed 3 3 and lost (-$34.01 net)

---

Ok, so that was me complaining about winning. :f_p:

GL and have fun you all! :f_grin:

- Lurjus
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Complaining about winning, now there's a notion perhaps more of us need to ponder!

You were right about the song to. :)
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Hi Lurjus! Great to see you starting a new blog here. :) Remember to post our own corner too.

Gl!
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Complaining about winning, now there's a notion perhaps more of us need to ponder!
      Just a fish on a heater! :pokerface:
      You can always do better, right?

Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      Remember to post our own corner too.
      Trying to keep one blog alive is enough for me, I think. :)

---

I'm watching the HU Championship final while I'm writing this. Lemon won the first one and I have a feeling he will win the final. I see him alot in NL16 and really like to play against him. He's propably one of the best regs on that stake.

I had a good day yesterday, but today I just miss everything and run very bad overall. But that's just variance and variance is our friend, or that's what I've heard. :f_pleased:
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      :f_zZz: I'm so exhausted..

We had a couple of friends having a nice evening in our place (me and my wife) on wednesday and I have to admit that I can't remember when I have been that drunk. And so was my wife! I just could erase the next day from my life. It was horrible! :facepalm: The only positive note is that I wasn't alone. Soo.. I decided, ofcourse, that I will never ever drink again.. untill friday came and my friend came to visit. Today I had an early morning and I was working outside the whole day. However, when I got home, I decided to have a session and it was a struggle. Despite the fact that I was very tired, I managed to play well.

In the middle of the last weeks hustle, I took a shot to NL25. Spew+over playing+leveling = fail
      I didn't have that much for the shot anyway, because I'm a BRM nit. Atm I'm back on NL16 and I feel like I'm crushing again. Twelve tables feels pretty optimal for me and that allowes me to get quite decent volume.

Some graphs for those who love them

The summer is almost here and I can't wait till I get to move. I found this one short video on youtube, where you can see some of the places where I like to spend my summer.

Tight lines! :f_p:

- Lurjus
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Fshieet, fly fishing it's like real life RuneScape
      Ohh that's nice! I mean it's nice that you both were drunk, you know..
      After sleepless night went out at the morning to grab some beers, so I could fall asleep. Four times. Shiiiet, so now feel like posting shit..
      Unfiltered beer + dried squid :heart:
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Originally posted by jawoftheox
      Fshieet, fly fishing it's like real life RuneScape
      If you mean that you will get hooked on it instantly, you might be right. :coolface:

After sleepless night went out at the morning to grab some beers, so I could fall asleep. Four times. Shiiiet, so now feel like posting shit..
      I hope you survived! :s_thumbsup:

Unfiltered beer + dried squid :heart:
      Now that sounds like an adventure! :f_biggrin:

---

I was super tired again today. Played some, spewed some, managed to win some.
      I might have to take a break tomorrow.

Good night everyone! For those who just started their session, good luck!

• gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Fly fishing AND Clint Mansell? Ye, you can stay! :s_cool: :s_cool:
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Fly fishing AND Clint Mansell? Ye, you can stay! :s_cool: :s_cool:
      Thank you sir! :f_cool:

• Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Good evening!

It was almost exactly one month ago when I started my blog. Now lets take a look at what has happened during this one month.

In my opening post I told how I had just withdrawn most of my bankroll and was starting over from the bottom. One reason for this was that the SCOOP was just coming and in the past couple of years there has been this reload bonus in Stars during the SCOOP. Well, apparently not this year.. :f_frown:

I had a decision to make. What would I want to do with the part of my bankroll I had on my bank account. At that point I had already reached the point where I could play NL25 with my 'new' roll. However, it wasn't big enough to handle a small downswing. Or maybe the bankroll was, but I wasn't. I couldn't play freely, knowing that if I play one very bad session, I would have to drop down again. So my decision was to deposit. Atm I'm playing NL25 with a roll that allows me to take shots to NL50. And I might even do that some day, but before that I want to be a clear winner at NL25!

In last three days I have been playing only NL25. The result is that I've got it in the green again, even though I feel like I haven't been runing that well.

Now then, what have learned? One thing is for sure. I am still able to 'cruise through the stakes'. Even thou I would have to withdraw my whole roll for some reason, it wouldn't be the end. I could always rebuild my BR.
      Maybe the most important things that I have learned are on the mental side. I easily get frustrated if thing won't go as I planned. If I hit a break even stretch, I might start to overplay and force the results. That will never work, and it just makes the stretch even longer and in the worst case, turns it to a downswing. Patience is a quality I have to develope in the future.

I think that's enough for now. Good luck boys and girls! :heart:

See you at the tables!

- Lurjus
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Greetings!

Originally posted by Lurjus
      Atm I'm playing NL25 with a roll that allows me to take shots to NL50. And I might even do that some day..
      That day was today. :f_cool: I first played some NL25 and NL25 Zoom (lost some), but then I felt like I wanted to challenge myself. So I opened twelve NL50 tables. They didn't feel that much different than NL25, but I'm still abit scared money so I will stick with smaller games for awhile.

For some reason I have huge difficulties to beat those Zoom games. I'm not sure what is the reason, but it must be something very fundamental, because I can still beat regular tables where the opponents stays the same. I was thinking about having some coaching to figure out what's wrong. Just haven't decided the coach yet.

Yesterday when I opened television, there was a show, where one guy was spending the whole year in the wilderness. The guy was Lars Monsen. I have been browsing his book about that year, but haven't seen the program. It was last episode on telly, but lucky me, I found it in Youtube with english subtitles. I watched the first episode already and I got the feeling that I too want to do that. Maybe not that long, but perhaps a whole summer with some spring in the beginning and autum in the end. We'll see.. :f_rolleyes:

Keep your feet dry! :f_p:

- Lurjus
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn. I hope I learned something today.

I decided to have a session, where I mix up some NL50 together with NL25. That didn't work out very well. I just had to force my self to quit after 40 minutes. Ofcourse I first tryed if leaving out the NL25 tables would help, but at that point I was just too messed up already. After I had had all the tables closed, I opened some new ones. This time they where all NL16 tables. I got back into my standard game plan, and started crushing. Poker is always fun when it feels easy. But when I try to get up in stakes, I usually take my dick out and start waving it around.

'Uuh.. Look how great I am!'... 'I'm the best and I don't have to fold, because I'm so good!' :facepalm: :rage: :f_mad:

Dumbass! You will succeed once you stop showing of your 'skills'.
      That been said, I'm just so pissed right now. So mad to my self. (If that wasn't clear)

Weekend is coming up. Can't wait! Tomorrow I have a friend sleeping on our couch, but he arrives late. So I have the whole evening time to play. He will leave on saturday, and I have to drop him to the airport, but after that it's not untill monday that I have something else to do other than grind. Although the weekend's weather might be superb, so will do something else too. Patio perhaps!? Anyone with me? :f_cool:

Now to :f_zZz: :f_zZz: :f_zZz:

- Lurjus
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      It sounds to me like you could use a day off Lujus :)

Personally, when I get my dick out and start waving it around it gets caught in my zipper. Know what I mean?

Leave the ego on the shelf sir, make calculated decisions instead of emotional ones - and profit. :)

Very best reagrds and have fun at the weekend with your friend. Friends are so valuable!

Mal.
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      It sounds to me like you could use a day off Lujus
      Naah.. I'm playing my best play ever atm, and I don't feel burned out just yet. I try to get a decent bank roll for the summer, because I don't have any job in sight after the school and it might be that poker will be my main source of income for at least a month.

Personally, when I get my dick out and start waving it around it gets caught in my zipper. Know what I mean?
      I think I have the same issue. :coolface:

Very best reagrds and have fun at the weekend with your friend. Friends are so valuable!
      Thank you. You are so right! :heart:

---

I just ended a sweet session. Run quite good and played well too. In the end I made at least one spewwy play when I was leveling my self. Villain played the hand well and got max out of me.

[SPOILER]
      There is no excuse in this one. Pure spew.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $24.68 (98.7 bb)
      BB: $25 (100 bb)
      UTG: $26.93 (107.7 bb)
      MP: $25 (100 bb)
      CO: $30.17 (120.7 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $83.52 (334.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 2 2
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, SB raises to $2.25, BB folds, Hero calls $1.75

Flop: ($4.75) 9 8 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.75, Hero calls $1.75

Turn: ($8.25) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.10, SB raises to $14.81, Hero raises to $50.81, SB calls $5.87

River: ($49.61) T (2 players)

Results: $49.61 pot ($2.00 rake)
      Final Board: 9 8 3 5 T
      SB showed 9 9 and won $47.61 ($22.93 net)
      Hero showed 2 2 and lost (-$24.68 net)
      [/spoiler]

I also had my moments.

[SPOILER]I could have raised preflop, but I didn't.

Floping the nuts is always nice.

Turn bet could have been a bit bigger. If the fish is in the calling mode, he will call anyway.

River is kind of a action killer and I bet for value and to induce him to bluff shove.

SB: $25 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $39.70 (158.8 bb)
      UTG: $27.82 (111.3 bb)
      MP: $25.52 (102.1 bb)
      CO: $14.31 (57.2 bb)
      BTN: $28.23 (112.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J T
      2 folds, CO calls $0.25, 2 folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.60) Q A K (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.10, CO calls $1.10

Turn: ($2.80) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.30, CO calls $3.30

River: ($9.40) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.60, CO calls $3.60

Results: $16.60 pot ($0.75 rake)
      Final Board: Q A K 2 T
      Hero showed J T and won $15.85 ($7.60 net)
      CO mucked K 6 and lost (-$8.25 net)
      [/spoiler]
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      [SPOILER]CO is a nitish reg. His raise on the flop just makes no sense + I have the ace of spades.

SB: $38.64 (154.6 bb)
      BB: $44.90 (179.6 bb)
      UTG: $25 (100 bb)
      MP: $26.37 (105.5 bb)
      CO: $27.79 (111.2 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $31.66 (126.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with J A
      UTG calls $0.25, MP raises to $1.20, CO calls $1.20, Hero calls $1.20, 3 folds

Flop: ($4.30) A 6 T (3 players)
      MP checks, CO checks, Hero bets $2.50, MP folds, CO raises to $6.75, Hero raises to $30.46 and is all-in, CO folds

Results: $17.80 pot ($0.80 rake)
      Final Board: A 6 T
      MP mucked and lost (-$1.20 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$7.95 net)
      Hero mucked J A and won $17 ($9.05 net)
      [/spoiler]

[SPOILER]Just a cool hand. :f_p:

SB: $33.76 (135 bb)
      Hero (BB): $50.22 (200.9 bb)
      UTG: $33.66 (134.6 bb)
      MP: $18.58 (74.3 bb)
      CO: $25.75 (103 bb)
      BTN: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T T
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.75, BTN folds, SB calls $0.65, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.25) 2 Q T (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $1.50, SB folds, Hero raises to $3.90, CO calls $2.40

Turn: ($10.05) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.10, CO calls $5.10

River: ($20.25) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.60, CO calls $5.60

Results: $31.45 pot ($1.42 rake)
      Final Board: 2 Q T Q 2
      Hero showed T T and won $30.03 ($14.68 net)
      CO mucked J J and lost (-$15.35 net)
      [/spoiler]

See you at the tables! :pokerface:

- Lurjus
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      It was a nice weekend with friends.

Yesterday I played some live HU with a friend who asked me to teach him some poker. It was a lot of fun! :coolface:

I managed to put in some volume online too. Can't complain really. I played quite well and I'm happy about that. I just feel like I was running against every possible setup. In the last session I really felt that I was going on this frustration tilt. But I just pushed through it.

I have a somewhat solid roll for NL50 now. However, I have also played some NL16 and I'm not yet satisfied on my NL25 results. I will propably play all of those limits, depending on the feeling I have about myself and the quality of the tables.

Tomorrow might be my day off the tables. We'll see.. :f_wink:

- Lurjus
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold

All I have to say! :f_mad: