Bennisboy

• bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Alright, so I am starting again. I've dropped out of poker for the last year or so due to not really being motivated to play, or having a huge amount of time, but I feel like now is a good time to get back in to it.

without further ado, homework 1!

What is your motivation for playing poker?

Mainly going to be playing for fun and to keep my mind sharp. My job (although supposedly challenging), isn't too mentally stimulating, so I want something to keep my mind sharp.
      If it ends up generating some extra income, that would be cool as well.

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I DON'T FOLD ENOUGH... consequence being that I tend to value town myself...

What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Playing your hands selectively and agressively. Waiting for the right spots to pressurise your opponents and not playing too many marginal hands
  • 2 replies
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      HW 2

What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      As I play mostly 6 max, the ranges tend to be a bit wider than the SHC because of the lower probability of someone at the table having a big hand. There are also less players to act behind us than there would be in full ring games
      UTG is the only EP, after which we are straight in to MP. This means we can usually play a slightly more expansive selection of hands than displayed on the SHC.

Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I didn't want to fold 99 to the MP raise, equally didn't want to be OOP without initiative. So I 3bet the raiser in order to either take it down there or hopefully with a Cbet on the flop. Would it have been more sensible to fold here? Or is it a good idea to mix up the plays between folding and 3b?

IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $5.97 (119.4 bb)
      UTG: $2.35 (47 bb)
      MP: $2.15 (43 bb)
      CO: $12.45 (249 bb)
      BTN: $3.68 (73.6 bb)
      Hero (SB): $6.49 (129.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9 9
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BB folds, MP calls $0.25

Flop: ($0.85) 8 A J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, MP calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.85) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.85 pot ($0.12 rake)
      Final Board: 8 A J Q
      MP mucked and won $1.73 ($0.83 net)
      Hero mucked 9 9 and lost (-$0.90 net)

What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

This is slightly lower than I would have expected. I know against under pairs we are pretty much coinflip, but I would have expected this to be evened out slightly coming up against AJs and AQs (althought admittedly we would not have the same flush odds)

Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      BU     53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi bennisboy,

thanks for your posts,

Unfortunately we closed down the Beginners Course recently.

There was the announcement on this, you can read it here.

However, there will be many new courses introduced in our "news" section (the forum link of new courses will be provided directly in the news), so stay tuned and check for those please.

We truly apologize for any inconvenience this may caused.

Kind regards,
      Fran