How to keep motivation up and keep up learning?

• Berzerekki
      Berzerekki
      Bronze
      Hello!

I've been playing for a 1½ years online- and livepoker. My bankroll has been going up and down for the whole time. I've never managed to climb up for the higher stakes (NL2-10 is what i've been playing mostly).

Now i have been taking a short break from games because of my university and personal life. Reading a few articles now and then and lurking pokerstrategy forums for any good tips. Mostly my games have been micro tournaments with a short bankroll. Sundays goes with 11$ sunday storm tournament etc..

I like playing poker, but the thing is. I don't like to be stuck with the same levels all the time. Well i know that going to the upper levels means: i have to beat the microstakes. I know about bankroll management and basics stuff, but the problem is a lack of motivation, the spark to be able to sit down on a computer for several hours and grind.

That is a huge problem with me. Same thing at school also. I get really into something new and i get easily, well not bored, but kinda hoping that i won't have to do the "hard work". I want to be good at poker. I want to make some money for a living and win big tournaments !

Should i make some kind of a schedule and plan for the future? How do i "get my ass off" and start working for my dream. I really want to change my attitude, not only for poker but everything else.

I think here is few things how to light up my motivation and concentration:

- Start to workout: For a 2-3 times per week should be fine. Jogging, gym, tennis. Anything with a sweating.
      - Start to eat more healthly: Add some fruits, vegetables, smoothies, porridges etc. To my eating habits. Im living students life at the moment. And in Finland, the "healthy" food is really expensive. Well schools food is great, but dispite that its expensive..
      - Dont sit on a computer all the time: In a day i sit on my computer about 8 hours playing some games or just scrolling trought internet.
      - Watch some poker related videos or coachings: I think this is the one thing to spark up my motivation for playing poker.

Well there is few points to start with but i don't know. What do you guys think. Anyone else have the same problems i have? :f_o:
  • 6 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hi Berzerekki,

I wrote extensively about motivation in the Complete Guide to Motivation in Life and Poker.

In there, you should find the answer your questions and give you specific action steps to get started.

Primoz
    • pauln
      pauln
      Bronze
      Schnitzelfisch is of course the undisputed master of this kind of thing and his material is worth its' weight in gold.

I thought i'd just add my experience with it and that's being part of a skype study group. Having some form of peer accountability (guys who are pushing each other to improve and work hard) is what got me into the habit of working hard at my game (not just reading and watching videos with nothing going in).
    • Berzerekki
      Berzerekki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Hi Berzerekki,

I wrote extensively about motivation in the Complete Guide to Motivation in Life and Poker.

In there, you should find the answer your questions and give you specific action steps to get started.

Primoz

Wow thanks! I think this is going to be a BIG help for any player who lack of motivation. :) Im going to read it with a thought.
    • Berzerekki
      Berzerekki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pauln
      Schnitzelfisch is of course the undisputed master of this kind of thing and his material is worth its' weight in gold.

I thought i'd just add my experience with it and that's being part of a skype study group. Having some form of peer accountability (guys who are pushing each other to improve and work hard) is what got me into the habit of working hard at my game (not just reading and watching videos with nothing going in).
      Yeah, maybe i'll try to join the stufy group some day. I really need a same minded people around me. :f_biggrin:
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      I've had/got the exact same problem. Same thing with school lol. But the truth is, all those who have made it to the top have earnt it and worked really hard at it. There isn't any magic method, hard work dedication and patience is what will get you there. And me. Lol.

I've played 160k hands at NL10 break even. But im still going and i'm not giving up. Still improving and playing alot.
    • Mantuze
      Mantuze
      Basic
      Originally posted by Berzerekki
      Hello!

I've been playing for a 1½ years online- and livepoker. My bankroll has been going up and down for the whole time. I've never managed to climb up for the higher stakes (NL2-10 is what i've been playing mostly).

Now i have been taking a short break from games because of my university and personal life. Reading a few articles now and then and lurking pokerstrategy forums for any good tips. Mostly my games have been micro tournaments with a short bankroll. Sundays goes with 11$ sunday storm tournament etc..

I like playing poker, but the thing is. I don't like to be stuck with the same levels all the time. Well i know that going to the upper levels means: i have to beat the microstakes. I know about bankroll management and basics stuff, but the problem is a lack of motivation, the spark to be able to sit down on a computer for several hours and grind.

That is a huge problem with me. Same thing at school also. I get really into something new and i get easily, well not bored, but kinda hoping that i won't have to do the "hard work". I want to be good at poker. I want to make some money for a living and win big tournaments !

Should i make some kind of a schedule and plan for the future? How do i "get my ass off" and start working for my dream. I really want to change my attitude, not only for poker but everything else.

I think here is few things how to light up my motivation and concentration:

- Start to workout: For a 2-3 times per week should be fine. Jogging, gym, tennis. Anything with a sweating.
      - Start to eat more healthly: Add some fruits, vegetables, smoothies, porridges etc. To my eating habits. Im living students life at the moment. And in Finland, the "healthy" food is really expensive. Well schools food is great, but dispite that its expensive..
      - Dont sit on a computer all the time: In a day i sit on my computer about 8 hours playing some games or just scrolling trought internet.
      - Watch some poker related videos or coachings: I think this is the one thing to spark up my motivation for playing poker.

Well there is few points to start with but i don't know. What do you guys think. Anyone else have the same problems i have? :f_o:
      Hei ya, I had the same problems before.. I'm HU Hyper Turbo player, and this is my recipe to not get bored or motivated my self to poker (I do this all the time):

*Go just for a run every day - it clears your minds. I do this between sessions. I have 3 sessions during a day, and after second I go for a run.
      *Watch motivated videos while playing or get bored. - I have few examples, you can listen while playing or on short brakes - EXAMPLES
      *Cooking - one of my favorite. I like cooking and make food, it makes me relax and distract my minds about poker.
      *Do something new - I have started learning Spanish and learning flairing (bartenders speech). Also reading a book, now it's Mark Nepo "Book of awakening", reading Mental game of poker vol2 as well.
      *Have a free days during a week - i have 2 days without poker. One of them is semi-without, I usually watch my hands history, or new videos of my type of poker.
      *Get a friends that you can talk with - it's very important, because you have to discus with something about everything. It can be your wife, girl, best friend. Or start writing a blog :)

Have a good sessions!