Time banking strategy

• dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      I was playing a hyper turbo today and came across a situation where it would be beneficial to stall and was wondering if this type of strategy is illegal or is it ok in certain circumstances.

blinds are 20/40
      I am chip leader with 1700 chips on button
      SB 650
      BB 650 (rounded chips for simplicity)

Both are regs who will resteal a fair range so raise/folding becomes less of an option. It seems like an ideal situation therefore I will be overshoving fairly wide, however with 17bb effective it isnt that great.

I found that by stalling every hand in this situation I can make the blinds increase whilst playing less hands meaning i can shorten the amount of hands before blinds reach 30/60 where i can gain a bigger edge with my allins.

Do you think this is ok or is it against the spirit of the game. I would think any edge i could gain should be ok be it through playing hands or otherwise
  • 4 replies
    • NijeVaznoKoSam
      NijeVaznoKoSam
      Bronze
      I totaly agree with timebanking... it can't be aginst any rule, since you will time out, when you used your timebank fully ;)

It might be in many situations a good strategy to reach as shortie a.e. itm or in your case to hit the shorties with increased blinds :D

NVKS
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      It's obviously not against any rule, but not very good sportsmanship in my opinion. I guess stalling for a little while is fine as long as you do it only in a few situations and don't exhaust your entire time bank.

Imagine everyone would be doing this at any chance they get. Would you want to play in those games?
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      What every makes you money! In the end it's all about the green!

Nah but really I don't think it's bad manners at all. It's just a tactic to give yourself a better chipev.
    • toxicchili
      toxicchili
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Harrier88
      It's obviously not against any rule, but not very good sportsmanship in my opinion. I guess stalling for a little while is fine as long as you do it only in a few situations and don't exhaust your entire time bank.

Imagine everyone would be doing this at any chance they get. Would you want to play in those games?
      While there can be strategic benefits, I agree, it is poor sportsmanship. I have seen a whole table doing this though in an online MTT though while waiting for the last few players to go out.