Participate in a study about online poker and betting!

• HrzmiesRNMD
      HrzmiesRNMD
      Bronze
      Greetings!

I’m a postdoctoral researcher working at Newcastle University (UK), and I study decision making in poker. My collaborators and I have previously published a number of articles on the topic of “tilting” in poker. My PhD thesis on this topic can be found at: https://helda.helsinki.fi/handle/10138/41569

Currently, we’re studying betting behaviour in online poker. We’ve prepared and online survey and we’re hoping to get as many poker players as possible to fill it. Filling the survey takes 20-25 minutes. A prize of 4 x $50 Amazon.com gift-certificates will be drawn between participants.

The survey can be found at:

http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/jussi.palomaki/

I’m more than happy to answer any questions!

Sincerely,
      Jussi Palomäki

p.s. This post has been approved by the forum admin.
  • 36 replies
    • MikkoMi
      MikkoMi
      Bronze
      Hi Hrzmies,

Thanks for inviting us to participate.

Good luck!

B.R.
      Mikko
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi Jussi,

Very interesting research,
      I'll participate in the survey later today or tomorrow for sure,

Don't have time atm unfortunately,

Kind regards,
      Fran
    • HrzmiesRNMD
      HrzmiesRNMD
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for your interest and help! :)

-Jussi
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      1) Can we have the prizes shipped into Pokerstars accounts instead of Amazon please?

2) In terms of the variance and the bankroll recommended for medium safety, NL200 ~ PLO100 ~ SNG100 ~ MTT50 (all suitable for a $10K bankroll).

Thanks for the funny and interesting survey (I've completed it)!
    • HrzmiesRNMD
      HrzmiesRNMD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tonypmm
      1) Can we have the prizes shipped into Pokerstars accounts instead of Amazon please?

2) In terms of the variance and the bankroll recommended for medium safety, NL200 ~ PLO100 ~ SNG100 ~ MTT50 (all suitable for a $10K bankroll).

Thanks for the funny and interesting survey (I've completed it)!
      Thanks for the feedback!

About the prizes: I don't see any reason why not, but I will have to double-check. If it turns out we can ship the money to online poker accounts, I will give the prize winners this option also.

edit: I can't change the incentive instructions at this point, but I will keep your suggestion in mind.

-Jussi
    • ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      Hey Jussi,

Congratulations on embarking on a fascinating area of study and thank you for bringing it to our attention!

Over the years, I've known various people who have done PhD's and I can safely say that your thesis is the first one that really interests me. Ok, there was the one that my old professor did on the sex lives of Japanese courtesans in the 17th Century but you still manage to beat his...believe me, the title ended up being the most exciting part of that one ;)

No, this is definitely something that I think is worthy of study. I have only just started writing a blog which is my own very clumsy attempt - not to mention rather long winded! - attempt to look at all the various emotional, psychological and even spiritual connections between our poker playing and life. All part of my belief that ultimately the qualities that make for a good poker player will also make for a happy healthy human being. And vice versa.

So needless to say, I will be very interested in your conclusions from a much more academic and expert point of view. And indeed, looking forward to doing the survey when I can over the next couple of days.

All the best for the important work ahead,

Charlie
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      I think this is the first survey I'm happy to participate in. I'm going to fill it tomorrow. :)
    • HrzmiesRNMD
      HrzmiesRNMD
      Bronze
      Thank you kindly for your supportive comments!

ClerkenwellBoi: I will definitely give your blog a read, it seems very interesting :)

-Jussi
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      haha i had an assignment over christmas to write a hypothetical research proposal, so i did mine on poker and performance on measures of executive function. i read one of your papers about tilting (pretty sure i referenced it too!) :D

gl with the research
    • HrzmiesRNMD
      HrzmiesRNMD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      haha i had an assignment over christmas to write a hypothetical research proposal, so i did mine on poker and performance on measures of executive function. i read one of your papers about tilting (pretty sure i referenced it too!) :D

gl with the research
      That's cool :) ! Hope the assignment went well :D

Thanks!
    • Calzo94
      Calzo94
      Basic
      Just completed the study, something I find incredibly interesting as I'm about to study psychology at university and have wondered about the psychology behind poker players. Thanks for sharing! :D
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Filled it in as well :)
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze

That 89ss hand tilted the hell out of me when hero didn't bet flop or turn.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MJPerry

I strongly agree!
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle

I strongly agree!
      Was that the one with the all diamonds flop?
      I took a stab at the river in this one, even though I probably would have bet the flop and then played check/fold on turn and river in a real game. Didn't want to let every pot go by uncontested, though.

I think Hero always did the opposite of what I would have done on the flop. :f_grin:
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Cool Study :D

Filled it in there now... Q? : Did anyone find any of the faces at the end to be Male?

I'm starting to think maybe because i'm from Ireland I assumed the hairstyles were all female & that 2 were attractive (Plzzz Don't be all men..haha)

SabO! :club:
    • sabo999
      sabo999
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle

I strongly agree!
      What did we bet on the river?

I opted for $350 into $280?? (cnt recall pot size, but i no i overbet pot)... Polarising my range and thus assuming I can only ever get called by the A :diamond: MAYBE K :diamond:
    • HrzmiesRNMD
      HrzmiesRNMD
      Bronze

:D D
    • HrzmiesRNMD
      HrzmiesRNMD
      Bronze
      Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! The survey will be online for about 2 weeks, so there's time :) . Happy Easter!

-Jussi