Climbing the limits

• lorenzoa
      lorenzoa
      Bronze
      The goal of this blog is twofold , the main goal : as stated in the title I want to climb the limits.

I will probably opt for some kind of zoom/speed variant since I have very little spare time ( full-time job combined with studying and regular exercising )

Any good opinion on the difference between regular and speed , regarding levels of players, achievable win rate , volume , etc is very much appreciated.

I started playing probably around 5-6 years ago, with mixed results. Periods of very focussed and good play alternated with full on retard spew tilt evenings. Breaks in between, rinse and repeat. :)

I should really find some more time to work on my game and learn to control the mental aspect of the game. Any good sources , books , vids, ... besides ps.com?

Now we're getting to the second goal of this blog. I'm not a native English speaker, my mother-language is Dutch. I do have a decent passive knowledge of both English and French. By writing this blog I would like to further improve my English. So if you spot any bad grammar, spelling errors, bad sentences do let me know.

That's it for now.
  • 9 replies
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Hi lorenzao,

If you're looking for a book on the correct poker mindset, I can definitely recommend The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler. It is the most extensive source on this topic I have heard of, and it contains some great advice.

Oh, and if you hadn't pointed out that you're not a native speaker of English, I wouldn't even have noticed. :f_thumbsup:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey lorenzoa,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

It seems Harrier88 is a mind reader because that's exactly what I was going to say. :f_biggrin:

"The Mental Game of Poker" has not only been a great help for my poker, it has also improved my real life mindset.

And if you hadn't mentioned the fact you are a non-native English speaker, I would have assumed you were posting from the centre of London. :tongue:

Looking forward to more

Laz
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi lorenzoa,

Really glad that you decided to blog. I'm sure it will help you to stay motivated, and to move up quicker.

Also, your English seems great, so no worries :)

Subbed,

Best of luck,
      Fran
    • lorenzoa
      lorenzoa
      Bronze
      Thanks for the compliments on my English. My written English is a lot better than my spoken English though, I don't speak it often enough I guess.

Had my first session since the blog. Played around 2k hands zoom. Not that good of a session. Lost with a lot of premiums. If I find some time this weekend, maybe I'll post some hands here or on the hand evalution forum.

Are there any good sources on getting the max out of software like HEM2, notecaddy, tablescanner turbo, ...
      Anyone else having troubles to get their HEM2 HUD to work with zoom? Both pokerstars and HEM are running as admin. Hands are showing in HEM , the hud just doesn't display. It actually did work about two updates ago but hasn't since.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi lorenzoa,

You could probably make a thread about that problem at our Holdem Manager forum area, you'll get the best responses there, I'm sure.

You can find it here. :)

Let us know if you succeed to fix it.

Best of luck,
      Fran
    • lorenzoa
      lorenzoa
      Bronze
      Installing another firewall did the trick.
      Glad I got that sorted out, playing without a HUD is pretty irritating.

Don't know if I will get to playing a lot this weekend, need to catch up with my studying and stuff so I will see.

What are you guys playing?
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey lorenzoa,

Glad to see you sorted your HUD out. :)

My favourite game is 45 man SnGs on PokerStars. Wish I could nail some of these Golden SnGs. :f_eek:

Happy Grinding

Laz
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      I started playing 45-manners on Pokerstars as well recently, might become a regular thing.

My main games are Fast Fold shorthanded cash games on Ladbrokes (my tracked account). I'm still dabbling around in NL5, having decent success, but struggling to get the volume in.

Other games that I have played in the past and may still occasionally be playing are single table SNGs and low buy-in MTTs.
    • lorenzoa
      lorenzoa
      Bronze
      Have played a couple of sessions, one hand in particular that was very interesting lol really don't understand what he was thinking there :)

***** Hand History for Game 1111111111 ***** (Poker Stars)
      $25.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Tuesday, April 22, 03:24:48 ET 2014
      Table Hydra 2 (Real Money)
      Seat 1 is the button
      Seat 1: Player1 ( $46.75 USD ) - VPIP: 26, PFR: 17, 3B: 5, AF: 1,6, Hands: 1336
      Seat 2: Player2 ( $26.10 USD ) - VPIP: 18, PFR: 15, 3B: 7, AF: 3,0, Hands: 21408
      Seat 3: Hero ( $53.56 USD ) - VPIP: 26, PFR: 20, 3B: 5, AF: 2,3, Hands: 26295
      Seat 4: Player4 ( $56.61 USD ) - VPIP: 31, PFR: 18, 3B: 13, AF: 0,7, Hands: 99
      Seat 5: Player5 ( $30.12 USD ) - VPIP: 20, PFR: 18, 3B: 9, AF: 3,6, Hands: 14998
      Seat 6: Player6 ( $24.91 USD ) - VPIP: 32, PFR: 28, 3B: 17, AF: 3,0, Hands: 1774
      Player2 posts small blind [$0.10 USD].
      Hero posts big blind [$0.25 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to Hero [ Kc Ks ]
      Player4 calls [$0.25 USD]
      Player5 folds
      Player6 folds
      Player1 folds
      Player2 folds
      Hero raises [$1.00 USD]
      Player4 calls [$1.00 USD]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 6s, 7d, Kh ]