How to play QQ against a tight opponent facing a 4bet?

• YourABigFish
      YourABigFish
      Basic
      Hey Guys,

I play very regularly at NL5 and there are many people like myself playing a sort of ABC Tight Poker at this level.The question i ask is how to play QQ pre flop against these sort of players, for example if I raise and get 3betted should I instant 4 bet regardless of his stats? Call?

The problem i Face with calling is that you cant easily get blown off your QQ hand if the flop comes K or A high. If i 4 bet these sort of players the only hands i will get action off them is JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AKs,AKo,AQs , he calls the 4 bet and the flop comes low should i just be looking to get my money in?

Another situation I struggle with is when facing a 4bet from these players with QQ because the only hands I think they are 4betting are QQ,KK,AA,AKs,AKo meaning im not a huge favourite to win the pot.
  • 13 replies
    • Veini
      Veini
      Silver
      dont 3bet QQ if you are struggling when 4bet at. vs utg and mp 3bet for value AA-KK and bluff with A2-5s and 78s etc

co-bb 3bet QQ and 5bet when 4bet. Ofcourse adjust to stats but these can be given as a rule of thumb. Atleast I use them at nl100
    • Wee21Man
      Wee21Man
      Bronze
      You can follow the new series of w34z3l.
      It is perfect for player at micro stakes.
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Originally posted by Wee21Man
      You can follow the new series of w34z3l.
      It is perfect for player at micro stakes.
      This would be great indeed, but you need at least a silver status,

Maybe you should try out our frre money offers; you could play for free and also earn a higher status on the forum which would unlock you a lot more training materials here. :)

Best of luck,
      Fran
    • bchan
      bchan
      Basic
      TBH, from my experience I would light 3-bet to understand whether Villain is holding KK or AA. Usually if they 4-bet that is the case and it can be folded.

What you need to understand is that Villain doesn't know whether you're holding QQ KK AA or AK so for them to 4-bet they've put themselves quite open.

WRT just calling a 3-bet and seeing the flop, my experience is that a C-bet should be raised and more than likely JJ will put you all in. If it's a dry flop KK and AA will try to suck more out before pushing it all in.

Hope this answers your query.
    • Daggystyle
      Daggystyle
      Bronze
      When facing 3-bet you can 4-bet with QQ, but you should fold to a shove. When 3-betting facing a 4-bet you should fold. Opponent is most likely holding AA,KK,AK.
    • Veini
      Veini
      Silver
      never ever 4bet fold with QQ. If you 4bet/fold QQ then you should't 4bet it. Iff you are folding QQ vs a 4bet do not 3bet.
    • Daggystyle
      Daggystyle
      Bronze
      Why wouldn't you fold QQ to a shove after 4-betting?

I guess i would call a 4-bet with QQ, that last post i made was not well thought out.
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Daggystyle
      Why wouldn't you fold QQ to a shove after 4-betting?
      Because (assuming we are playing 100bb deep):

Let's assume I am on the BU and you are in MP with QQ. You raise pre to 3bb. I 3bet to 9bb. You 4bet to 25bb. I shove.

The pot now is 126,5 big blinds. You have to call 75 more. So you need to have 37.2% equity.

Now:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP3    40.21%  38.35%   1.86% { QQ }
      BU     59.79%  57.93%   1.86% { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

So even versus my tight range, you can't fold anymore. Hope that answers the question.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      lots of weak regs at these stakes tend to call tons of 3bets and only 4bet nuts. it all depends i guess
    • Veini
      Veini
      Silver
      Polarize your 3betting range when you are ip so that you have an easy diccision to when facing a 4bet. This means 3bet the hands you want to stackoff with and hands that are just too weak too call a open.

4betfolding QQ 100bb deep is maybe the worst possible mistake you can make at 6max poker. This does not mean that you should stack off with QQ in every spot though. As a standard from utg QQ is a call for me to a 3bet
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      1. Tight opening range = call
      2. Semi loose opening range but nitty 4b range = 3bet/fold
      3. Loose op range and wide 4b range = 3b/broke
      4. Semi loose op rage and semi tight 4b range = 3b/call or broke depending on 4b size

With limited sample and when in doubt, just flat call vs the raise. This applies to utg and mp opens mostly.
    • Daggystyle
      Daggystyle
      Bronze
      Okok i get it :f_love: I have to say i have 4-bet with QQ, but i haven't folded to a shove(rarely get shoved tho). When i get shoved they show up with AA,KK. Some loose player have shoved with AK too, but that's pretty rare.

When 4-bet at i prefer to call.
    • WpIoNker
      WpIoNker
      Bronze
      Agree