steps to becoming better

• hardkandy
      hardkandy
      Basic
      Hey guys this is my first post here and I know this question has probably been asked allot however when I search for the specific answers I can never find it..

I've been playing poker on and off for about 2 years.. Never really taking it to seriously. I have done my fair share of losing more than winning due to becoming impatient or distracted which then makes me do stupid stuff.. I didn't really care to much cause $20 here and there was the price I paid for a few weeks of entertainment.

I have now decided to change my tune.. And not play for the thrill of money.. But to perfect my playing style.. Which in turn will reap rewards on its own merit. I have bought poker tracker 4 to evaluate what I'm doing wrong.. Started memorizing hands.. Taken a look at ev.. And Sussed out a few books to buy... (Still not sure which?).. And done a heap of online reading..

The question I want to ask is what order if there is any should I be studying this stuff in.. What should I be focusing on the most... What things in particular will help me to advance my knowledge, calculate effectively and ultimately show advancement.. Reading and watching videos seems very scattered I want to focus on one thing at a time if that's possible.. I'm not asking to be great overnight.. I know the work must be done.. But I am asking for all the street signs that tell me which direction I should be facing :P ..

FYI I only play online as my location allows for nothing else.. Any help would be fantastic.. Cheers!!
  • 6 replies
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Welcome to the forum, hardkandy! :s_grin:

If you haven't already, definitely check out this page, it contains everything you need to know to get going. The lessons are structured in a way that makes sense, introducing you to the basics first, and then expanding on that knowledge, so you won't miss out on anything during your journey. There are also quizzes along the way to make sure you understood the stuff you just learned.

I'll see you at the tables.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey hardkandy,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :)

Some excellent advice there from Harrier88 :)

Also don't forget to check out our free poker money.

Taking advantage of one of these will give you lifetime bronze status, which will open up more content. Also this will give you a tracked room to play on and earn SPs (StrategyPoints) which can give you higher status and unlock further content.

You can find more details about our Status and point system here.

If you have any questions at all, then please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Laz
    • hardkandy
      hardkandy
      Basic
      Thanks guys i will definatly be cheaking out that training.. juat a question though i know it all boils down to play.. but is knowing and aticking to the math involvd ultimately going to help me to be consistant?
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hardkandy
      is knowing and aticking to the math involvd ultimately going to help me to be consistant?
      It should be enough to enable you to beat the lowest stakes pretty much consistently.
      Some of the later lessons also deal with the topic of opponent specific play, which should give you the edge in some of the higher stakes as well, and allow you to exploit the players in the lower stakes even more.

Btw, correct bankroll management is arguably even more important than correct play (I don't know if that has ever been a problem for you). You should definitely make sure that you understood this topic (it's in the very first article) before you hit the tables. The importance of good bankroll management is often underestimated.
    • bryanw26
      bryanw26
      Bronze
      To better direct good material your way; what format/type of game do you want to focus on?
      Cash? MTT? SNG? Etc
    • hardkandy
      hardkandy
      Basic
      I used to play sng quite a bit and did fairly well in them won say 1/3.. But have lately been leaning more towards the cash games..

Harrier; in the past I haven't been to worried about bankroll management as $20 isn't allot.. What I've realized now though is $20 10 times is allot.. So I will be focusing on treating my money from now on as an "investment".. Not a play thing.. A profitable investor won't invest in a losing or high risk investment and I shouldn't either.. ;)