Where to start?!?

• dirtyafro
      dirtyafro
      Basic
      I am fairly new to poker, probably about a month of playing and study experience last summer and from about 2 weeks ago to now. in that time i have crammed a fair bit of study in and tried every form of micro stake poker sng/6max/mtts ect.......

i have $112 in my Pokerstars account, and just dont know what i should focus on to improve my game and to grind out for a better bankroll.

considering my lack of experience i feel i am a decent player who when fully focused has the potential to go far (i dream of being pro) what do you think would be the best thing for me to grind and what should i study?

thanks
  • 6 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey dirtyafro,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com :)

The best thing to study would be the game type you are most comfortable with playing. If you click the graphic at the bottom of my post, It will take you to the strategy section where you can choose what you want to learn.

Also don't forget about checking out our free poker money

Regards

Laz
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      Hey dirtyafro,

Welcome to the forums! :)

Couldn't agree more with what Laz said! I also moved this to our Beginner's Questions section for you :)

Regards,
      Tino
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dirtyafro
      Where to start?!?
      the beginning
    • ferrye
      ferrye
      Silver
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      Originally posted by dirtyafro
      Where to start?!?
      the beginning

Best answer, ever
    • aikira
      aikira
      Bronze
      what is most fun for you
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      my two cents:

you've got to figure out what format is best for you. That doesn't necessarily just mean the one that you think that you're best at. It might be that one format fits in with your life better than another.

For me I started out playing SNG's but I quickly found out that they tilted me a lot me than cash games because you can invest a lot of time in SNG's only to have something interfere and have to sit out. I found cash games a lot more convenient because I can sit in and out whenever I want.

In terms of developing your game you may initially want to visit schnitzelfish's productivity thread. Amongst a lot of other great info there are good tips on how to structure your learning and maximise it. This might give you a framework for approaching learning.

One way I would recommend approching it is to:
      :spade: Read some strategy articles (use the strategy section guides to :give you some structure)
      :diamond: Watch a video
      :club: Prepare for a play session ( make some strategy / mindset focuses for the session)
      :spade: Play a session ( marking hands for review at a later date)
      :heart: Review the session and post hands
      :diamond: write down areas for improvement
      :club: Rinse and repat this process focusing on the areas for improvement (leaks)

This is the approach I used to take. Have been real lazy recently. But ths worked best for me at least.

Hope this helps.