NL10 FR ZOOM Video

• jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      I recently took a second shot at NL10 and started to record my sessions for review. Any feedback/comments/tips/advice would be appreciated a lot.
      Watch on 720p.

VPIP/PFR/AF/AFq/Hands
      CbetFlop/Fold2FlopCbet/Att2Steal/Fold2Steal/3BetPF/Fol2PF3Bet

Looking forward to some discussions :)
  • 6 replies
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      I looked at the video and this is my comments:

I think you could reconsider how you deal with the blinds:

1) Early on I saw you clicking c/f in the BB. This is ok if you playing 2NL and playing according to some charts. It stops being ok at 10NL because you should start looking past just your own absolute card value.
      2) I saw your blind defence also seemed inconstant. With KJs you defended actively by 3beting (a bit big IMHO 7:10) but later with QJo you defended passively (11:40). Then with QJo when you hit your pair you changed to active play by donk into two players. IMHO KJs was the better passive defending hand. With active defence I believe it is more important to look at your opponent than your cards. So defend passively with good playable cards and attack opponents with wide ranges that will fold often.
      3) Your blind steal also seemed inconstant. You stole with J5s but not with J4s why?. In any event I dont like stealing with A3o (3:32) or J5s. True J5s floped a pair + FD but my problem is when you do hit your hand it sometimes is no good. Lets take Q6s (9:50) are you raising for value or raising as a bluff or just raising?

I think you should be more carefull 3betting against a strong range:
      1) AJ (6:51) is a very risky bluff 3bet against UTG + 1
      2) A5s (7:25) against an unknown UTG is just silly.

Oh TT (5:25) bet turn for value against draws and for cheap showdown.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      I haven't watched it all, but i have got a few tips to help you out:

~C-betting
      you don't always need to c-bet. I see you c-bet with ace high a couple of times vs fishy opponents. It's fine to check back and try and get to showdown with these hands.

Also, think about the board texture and you're opponent. If they are tight and have called preflop, they may have a pocket pair with which they'll fold to multiple barrels. So look for boards where you can make a backdoor hand - such as a backdoor flush draw or straight draw.

You dont have to win every pot. Checking back when you completely miss the board is fine.

~3betting
      In one of the hands i see you 3bet with A5s vs an UTG open. Now you're on the right track with 3betting with this hand, as it has a blocker to aces and good equity. BUT, vs a UTG open we should not be 3betting here. They're range is way tighter, therefore we shouldn't be 3betting. There are plenty of other much better spots to be taking up.

Flat calling with Ax suited is a good idea rather then 3betting.

~stats
      USE YOUR STATS!
      I see you making moves vs unknown people who you have around 30 hands on. These sorts of plays will increase the variance in your game, there's no need to make moves on people you have no information on. So play a bit more passive at times. I see in one hand you made a 3bet vs a UTG+1 opener with AJo. There's no need, wait for a better spot.

Hope that helped!
      PM me you're skype and we can play together sometime, i also play NL10 FR zoom.
    • surfwell1818
      surfwell1818
      Bronze
      Hi Jawoftheox,
      I play NL5 FR Zoom, so I have nothing to add except, thanks for the video and thread. It's been an aid to me watching and reading the posted comments so far. Zoom content is pretty thin to come by in all forms of media I have found.
      Cheers
      SM.
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mineriva

1) Early on I saw you clicking c/f in the BB. This is ok if you playing 2NL and playing according to some charts. It stops being ok at 10NL because you should start looking past just your own absolute card value.
      Yes, indeed. It's a bad habit and I am trying to get rid of it.

2) I saw your blind defence also seemed inconstant. With KJs you defended actively by 3beting (a bit big IMHO 7:10) but later with QJo you defended passively (11:40). Then with QJo when you hit your pair you changed to active play by donk into two players. IMHO KJs was the better passive defending hand. With active defence I believe it is more important to look at your opponent than your cards. So defend passively with good playable cards and attack opponents with wide ranges that will fold often.
      3betting and blind defence is what I struggle the most with. I'm never sure so I try this and that and at the end it's a mess. Thank you for advice, I will work on it!
      I raised bigger (3.6x) because I'm out of position post-flop.

3) Your blind steal also seemed inconstant. You stole with J5s but not with J4s why?. In any event I dont like stealing with A3o (3:32) or J5s. True J5s floped a pair + FD but my problem is when you do hit your hand it sometimes is no good. Lets take Q6s (9:50) are you raising for value or raising as a bluff or just raising?
      J4s hand had a limper. And I agree J5s was too loose against two unknowns, but A3o imo is pretty standard, there was a nit on SB, and unknown with 90bb on the BB. Since I just moved to NL10 I haven't yet changed my opening ranges. @ NL5 my winrate from SB was 5.1/100 over 70k hands stealing very loose and any suited queen vs unknown was a standard. I'm sure I will have to tighten up as the time goes, let's just see how far.

I think you should be more carefull 3betting against a strong range:
      1) AJ (6:51) is a very risky bluff 3bet against UTG + 1
      2) A5s (7:25) against an unknown UTG is just silly.
      Would folding AJo be allright?

A5s. I see DecMate pointed this one out as well.
      If I 3bet KK+ for value vs unknown UTG, what should I choose to bluff with if not small suited aces? AQo,KQs? Or should I bluff at all?
      I think we definitely should bluff with Ax, because his range will be mostly PP's and Ax hands, so we have blocker value.

Oh TT (5:25) bet turn for value against draws and for cheap showdown.
      Indeed. I probably thought that he was the open raiser, but I see he limped UTG, so he must have way weaker range.
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DecMate
      I haven't watched it all, but i have got a few tips to help you out:

~C-betting
      you don't always need to c-bet. I see you c-bet with ace high a couple of times vs fishy opponents. It's fine to check back and try and get to showdown with these hands.

Also, think about the board texture and you're opponent. If they are tight and have called preflop, they may have a pocket pair with which they'll fold to multiple barrels. So look for boards where you can make a backdoor hand - such as a backdoor flush draw or straight draw.

You dont have to win every pot. Checking back when you completely miss the board is fine.

~3betting
      In one of the hands i see you 3bet with A5s vs an UTG open. Now you're on the right track with 3betting with this hand, as it has a blocker to aces and good equity. BUT, vs a UTG open we should not be 3betting here. They're range is way tighter, therefore we shouldn't be 3betting. There are plenty of other much better spots to be taking up.

Flat calling with Ax suited is a good idea rather then 3betting.

~stats
      USE YOUR STATS!
      I see you making moves vs unknown people who you have around 30 hands on. These sorts of plays will increase the variance in your game, there's no need to make moves on people you have no information on. So play a bit more passive at times. I see in one hand you made a 3bet vs a UTG+1 opener with AJo. There's no need, wait for a better spot.

Hope that helped!
      PM me you're skype and we can play together sometime, i also play NL10 FR zoom.

Thanks for tips, I agree and I'll take them into account! I've seen you at the tables. :) Friend request sent.
    • jawoftheox
      jawoftheox
      Bronze
      Originally posted by surfwell1818
      Hi Jawoftheox,
      I play NL5 FR Zoom, so I have nothing to add except, thanks for the video and thread. It's been an aid to me watching and reading the posted comments so far. Zoom content is pretty thin to come by in all forms of media I have found.
      Cheers
      SM.
      I am happy that you found it useful. I think videos are better way to learn than hand histories, because you can see all the spots you don't usually ask about on forums. Tiny mistakes and details.
      I can share some FR ZOOM content with you. Friend request sent.