bankroll

• DougWatts
      DougWatts
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

just have a general question I have been wondering about..
      Do most players grind out from small deposits.. build and climb levels without going bust many times or has the majority of players gotten stakes to get them started, or gone bust 50 times then gotten lucky?
      sometimes i run 40 to 50 bucks up then fall 15 back down playing in the micros at such small stakes its rare to make enough for withdrawal or even to climb up with proper BR management (100+ buy ins or the %5 rule).

I always thought maybe a stake could help someone out mentally at the tables who is not in a great financial situation or is just not wealthy in general with 1000's of dollars to risk on poker but has the potential skill level to be playing there..

anybody got any input?
  • 4 replies
    • Ustrix
      Ustrix
      Bronze
      Hey DougWatts,

Overall, you should be able to build up enough bankroll to successfully climb In stakes. This however, can take a long time. Your post doesn't mention about yourself taking shots, so I've assumed you stay at the same stake all the time. Sorry - if this is not the case.

Assuming your a cash game or STT (SnG) - The key, I believe in, Is once your more than 25-30% of your initial buy in, trying taking shots at the next level. This allows you to move up without risking too much, and if you lose, well its nothing more than what you put in, in the first place.

For MTT's I would normally wait for a 1st, 2nd(Possible 3rd depending on size of field) place finish at your normal stakes and then take 5-6 shots at the next level.

Bankroll management is crucial to stop you going broke, but don't be afraid to try your luck at a higher level when you have a bit of extra cash to do so.
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DougWatts
      Do most players grind out from small deposits.. build and climb levels without going bust many times or has the majority of players gotten stakes to get them started, or gone bust 50 times then gotten lucky?
      In order to apply for a stake, you'd have to prove that you're a winning player first, so I don't think anyone was really starting out on a stake, unless they had some wealthy friends.
      I also highly doubt that any winning player went bust 50 times and then moved up due to a hot streak of luck. If that's the case, they won't last very long in their new limits either. Poker is always about the long term.

A steady grind up the limits is the way to go. If you're beating your limit, it's only a matter of time until you can move up. And if you're not beating your limit, you have no business playing any higher anyway. It might take a while, but it's the only way to do it.

Also, welcome to the forums, Ustrix! :f_grin:
    • DougWatts
      DougWatts
      Bronze
      appreciate the insight, makes sense all in all.

Some helpful info I can use towards my goals.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks guys! :)