Bankroll management for zoom poker

• mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Hey people,

After about 2 years away from the virtual felt, I am back in business to the zoom poker tables. Because of a very limited bankroll, I had to start at the very beginning again, at nl2. For the moment, everything seems "normal", plenty of fish, maybe a little more regs than in 2012, but nothing spectacular. Still, the internet being full of topics saying how much harder online poker has become in the last few years, I thought about changing my old bankroll management of 30BI with a 5BI shot to the next limit to a 40BI BR with a 10BI shot in order to increase the data collecting/note taking time.

I am curious to hear about your bankroll management for zoom poker these days. How many BI deep? How deep a shot? Increasing the deepness when going upper in stakes? Your thoughts are greatly welcomed.

++
  • 15 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey there and welcome back to the virtual felt!

30BI + 5 for shots is OK for Zoom in the micros. I think anything more would be too much so I'd stick to what you used before :)

Moved this to our Beginners' Questions board :)

Regards,
      Gary
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I'm taking shots at 23BI moving down at 20BI.

I think whats not as important as the actual number is the fact that you follow it always instead of being too proud to move down.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Thank you for your replies, guys.

HollyMichelle, that's what I used to do and it worked for me in the past, still, I prefer to ask around before taking action, 2 years of inactivity is quite long in online poker.

Metza, when it comes to BRM, I have no ego, I will always move back down if I lose a fixed amount of BI.

I think I will go back to 30BI BR/ 5BI shot, I will give it a try and see, if it doesn't feel right, I will tighten a bit.
    • paulmoras
      paulmoras
      Bronze
      can u explain what 30+5 means?ok 30buyins for nl5 and u have extra 50$for taking shots at nl10?
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze

I don't think you really need a larger bankroll for Zoom than regular games, the variance is the same it just comes a lot faster.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Paulmoras

30 buy ins for the next limit (if nl5 for example, 30 x $5 = $150)
      5 buy ins shot, for example, you have $150, you start playing nl5 but it goes badly, your losing limit before going back down to nl2 is 5 buy ins, so, if you lose 5 x $5 = $25, you go back to playing nl2 until you have 30 buy ins for nl5 again.

MJPerry, I agree, my concern wasn't of that nature though, just about the relative toughness of the field these days.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      +1

I don't think you really need a larger bankroll for Zoom than regular games, the variance is the same it just comes a lot faster.

I agree. You shouldn't amend your bankroll requirements to be any different from regular games (provided it is the same format)

i.e NLSH reg NLSH zoom would be the same but obv PLO would be different from NLHE or PLHE or LHE for example

Variance is the same, you just get to the long run faster because we measure in terms of hands, not time.
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrkhaan
      MJPerry, I agree, my concern wasn't of that nature though, just about the relative toughness of the field these days.
      Sorry, I didn't read properly and just skimmed.

Really your bankroll is totally personal to you. It's true that in 2014 you can't get away with the 20BI rule that was standard in 2004, but maybe you can.

Is your bankroll small/easily replaceable?
      Do you keep a clear head during downswings?
      Are you willing to move up and down/mix stakes frequently?

If so then there's no reason you can't have a 20BI bankroll.

Personally, I prefer having 50+ BI because I can't answer "yes" to all three of those questions.
    • DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by muel294
      Variance is the same, you just get to the long run faster because we measure in terms of hands, not time.
      This is not true. The variance is higher, because the winrate is lower. That is because of the lack of table select, and lack of information and table dynamics.

However, $/hr should be the same, or better with rakeback, but you should expect to see more swings (lower winrate -> higher variance).

I'd recommend 40 BI+. Personally I use 60 BI+ BRM.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      true I guess I'm just looking at it in a vaccuum. There are other variables that dicatate it such as mindset, being able to table select and reads / dynamice developing.

Personally I stick to quite an aggressive approach of shots at 25BI/limit shots at 20BI for the next limit. But I don't have a problem jumping up and down limits. If it really tilts you it might be better t take a conservative approach and it may allow you to play more optimally this way.
    • Hades1313
      Hades1313
      Bronze
      I think it depends from player to player. Here are some thinghs you can take into consideration:

- Your skills. If you have played poker before and you have been to higher stakes (wining) but you don't have the bankroll for that then you can consider having a smaler BRM.
      - If you can doposit more if needed then you can have a smaler BRM
      - The stakes. Probebly the higher you go the bigger BRM you will need
      - Rake. At the micros the rake is preaty big and you may consider takeing shots earlyer if you are confident in your skills.
      - What are you playing for. If you are playing poker for a living or you need that incom for expences then you may consider a tighther BRM
    • Harrier88
      Harrier88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DarkAwi
      This is not true. The variance is higher, because the winrate is lower. That is because of the lack of table select, and lack of information and table dynamics.
      I'm not sure about that...

The lack of information and table dynamics can also work in your favor, because it means you can get away with more steals, bluffs and unorthodox moves.
      If you're using a HUD, you should still get most of the information you need to make profitable plays.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      zoom has its own very special kind of dynamics and ways to take reads, imo the "toughness" and "higher variance" are highly overrated (or maybe i'm just missing out on A LOT by not playing normal tables? :f_eek: )
      just jump in the player pool with a basic plan, take your own conclusions about it and adjust accordingly.
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      thanks to all of you for your thoughts, I decided to go up with my 35BI for NL5 and a 5BI shot, we'll see how it goes.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck!

Why not start a blog to let us follow your progress?!

Best regards,
      Gary