Xavier Fok Adventures

• cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hi,

Xavier Fok here, currently 25 years old, I help out with poker hand strategy as a hand judge on pokerstrategy website. The purpose of this blog is to share with the community my learning in poker, hopefully helping others progress over time and also getting valuable feedback to improve my game.

I am very happy to be interviewed by a blogger and requested interview from my local newspaper.

Email from Maureen Koh from Singapore's Tabloid Papers

Click here for link to interview by famous blogger pris chew

Being a student of poker for about 5 years since 2009 November, I am very lucky to be rewarded with a reasonable income. However I faced some personal challenges as my ex of 7 years left me around June 2013, and I could not focus on working and ended up spending away most of the money inside my poker account. I am now in the progress of building up my account again from NL25 and NL50 6max zoom tables, thankfully possible because of a loan from my good buddy.

I also realized that I needed something that gave me a lot of satisfaction in my life. Tried out teaching tuition at the secondary levels, gave tuition at university levels for excel programming and I felt there is more I can do to impact lives, but yet unsure what it was going to be. Then I helped out as a hand judge on pokerstrategy and found that more value was being delivered because this knowledge is more directly related to financial income.
  • 136 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      on 28 May I realised bills were about to be paid and I didnt exactly have enough cash, so I decided to go on a 3 day intensive grind. It was been about 3 months since I last touched poker due to my commitments as a financial advisor, and luckily it turned out pretty okay.

this was my first time playing 8 tables of zoom across NL50 and NL25. i have tried many times and failed to focus, but this time round i did not have a choice, either i was going to make some money at the lower limits, or i was about to get kicked out of the house by my parents and have my health policies lapse. i fear that no insurance company will want to cover me again given that i have already made a claim previously on my hospitalisation bills. i forced myself to keep grinding, in my mind was the fact that my loan from my friend was going to expire in a week and if i dont make some money i might never have the chance to again.

somehow all the videos i watched and strategy i learnt seemed to pop up in my mind and i was making many moves that would not be so obvious to me. i thought its good to discuss a hand i felt was common enough yet many people play it wrongly.

Poker Stars $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2485379
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $34.32 - VPIP: 35, PFR: 33, 3B: 22, AF: 5.3, Hands: 187
      SB: $50.00 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 15, 3B: 11, AF: 1.9, Hands: 324
      BB: $51.73 - VPIP: 26, PFR: 19, 3B: 7, AF: 4.7, Hands: 1171
      Hero (UTG): $67.56 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 3.7, Hands: 1289323
      MP: $50.00 - VPIP: 23, PFR: 15, 3B: 9, AF: 2.5, Hands: 280
      CO: $50.00 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 19, 3B: 8, AF: 3.5, Hands: 2223

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is UTG with A :heart: Q :heart:
      Hero raises to $1.50, MP calls $1.50, 4 folds

Flop: ($3.75) 7 :club: A :club: 3 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1.82, Hero calls $1.82

Turn: ($7.39) 4 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($7.39) 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.00, MP calls $6

This is a common situation where Hero opens from (EP MP) early positions and then gets called by a later position (MP CO BU) with a somewhat tight calling range and then the flops comes an A with 2 disconnected cards. The common strategy here is to bet for value.

However a review of my previous hands played this way together with professional advice shows that it is more profitable to check and call all streets and then bet if villain checks back any street.

The reasoning is this, his range is very tight and with a hand like AT AJ AQ we are not always very far ahead, because his calling range on this board is usually AJ+ 77 33 and middle pocket pairs like 88-KK. for 88-kk middle pocket pairs he is calling a maximum of 2 streets, so bet bet bet is the same as check bet bet because hes only calling 2 streets. against AJ+ value is very thin so betting and checking makes no difference. against sets like 77 33 betting always loses money. I'm leaving out the flush draws since they represent a very small part of his range.

however if we check, he could now bet AJ+ 77 33 and a tonne of bluffs that we can call down for 3 streets, essentially now we face a weaker range than betting all streets.

In conclusion with AJ+ oop against tight ranges on dry Axx board its better to check/call and bet when checked behind.

However for fishes this is not the optimum strategy, because their ranges are much wider and they are also willing to call much wider. fishes meaning their calling range is something like 10-15%+ and fold to CB less than 65%. their calling range will consists of many more worse Ax, and worse pairs and gutshot draws and flush draws so ill bet 3 streets for value against a fish.
    • summermonkey
      summermonkey
      Bronze
      Wow. Someone is back. Hahaha.. Grind hard and make sure you keep your supernova! Top 28 in singapore lehz! Hahaha..
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Xavier,

Super interview. Love the fact you got your referral link in. :f_biggrin:

Happy Grinding

Laz
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Thanks summermonkey!!! yea almost lost it, luckily i realised it in time, first time in my life i was forced to handle 8 tables at a time just to extend the status for one more month haha. hope everything is good for you!
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      hi lazza61,

thanks! i thought i really learnt a lot from the community so i thought anyone interested in poker should learn from here straight away. its my responsibility as a fellow poker player.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      just saw an interesting hand i thought i should share, made out in a video. i was wondering which is easier to understand? reading words or watching a video? I'm concerned if others can catch the way i speak.

• cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze

just went swimming at this swimming pool, its very crowded today because the singapore government given out $100 to citizens for use of sports facilities, i guess its going to this crowded in the future and i like it. swam around... 10 laps maybe was chatting with my army mate and learning more about him.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cutegoldfish
      just saw an interesting hand i thought i should share, made out in a video. i was wondering which is easier to understand? reading words or watching a video? I'm concerned if others can catch the way i speak.

Your english is fine.

This is very similar to a hand Tyler Forrester went over in CREV on RIO a month or so ago. Worth watching if you have a sub. Same positions, AQo on 278r.

I was trying to think on the river what value hands you would play with this line?

The only hands I can think of is a few combos of 99 & T9s that wanted to x/r the turn? Maybe some 9x combos, but I'd think they should bet the turn. Perhaps people aren't value betting these undercard turns enough though. Given how much trash (12 AQo + probably double that in other give ups), I'd think this would be a fairly straight forward call with 66-88 at this betsize? Maybe fold to a 2.5x overbet.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      hi jules,

you brought up a very valid point. some combos of TJs TQs A9s 89s which is really not alot. if he was thinking enough he should be calling here but most likely he isnt, and sees oh no 3rd pair i fold.

thanks for the recommendation ill check out the hand when i get the subscription!
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      I thought after I posted. That as hero, on the turn, it's probably worth x/c with some hands like AA? Then we could bet the river with bluffs a little wider when it checks through on the turn.
      AA is very unlikely to be outdrawn and it would give us 6 more value combos on the river to bet with. It's also strengthens our x/c range on the turn. It's still going to get value from top pair hands when they bet. So it's really not losing a lot of value.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Hi jules,

with strong hands we should just go ahead and bet for value because on the turn there are so many draws that we can get value from. remember villain does not know our checking turn range was strengthened so they do not fold more because of that.

compare the top pair combinations to the number of draws that might check back?
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Possible draws:

JQs 4 combos, turns an OESD. Very often betting turn when check too anyways.

I think about 6 combos of KJs, KQs are all thats really worth worrying about missing a little value from.
      If he wants a raising range on the turn, these are just about the only hands that would fit so they might not even x/c. And he has all sets. So they probably should all be raised.

Villain Turn value bet hands:

JTs 3
      Ats 3
      JJ say 3 combos
      A9s 3
      maybe 98s 3
      4 sets 12 combos
      T9s 2 combos

So I think villain 'should' have enough Ax bluffs with zero equity against AA on the turn. When AA is x/c I think the value from these bluffs makes up for the lost value of not charging those 6 gutshots to see the river (if they even do). And the small risk of his other made hands outdrawing.

So I think it's not really close and like doing it with KK too. :f_love: Almost the same value, vulnerable to his Ax bluffs, but blocking his gutshots/oesd outs cancel this out. QQ works ok to bet I think.

I think it's worth keeping 99 in x/c range too for similar reasons. This would also make it nice to not have our range face up on the river and have a river x/r range.
    • G0ldFish89
      G0ldFish89
      Bronze
      gl OP

subbed
    • DannyJQ
      DannyJQ
      Bronze
      insta sub :f_love:

gl sir :f_cool:
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by G0ldFish89
      gl OP

subbed
      Thanks goldfish, we have the same name! Maybe I'm one year older haha.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DannyJQ
      insta sub :f_love:

gl sir :f_cool:
      Hello Danny, thanks for your interest! Please post here if you like my opinion.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jules97
      Possible draws:

JQs 4 combos, turns an OESD. Very often betting turn when check too anyways.

I think about 6 combos of KJs, KQs are all thats really worth worrying about missing a little value from.
      If he wants a raising range on the turn, these are just about the only hands that would fit so they might not even x/c. And he has all sets. So they probably should all be raised.

Villain Turn value bet hands:

JTs 3
      Ats 3
      JJ say 3 combos
      A9s 3
      maybe 98s 3
      4 sets 12 combos
      T9s 2 combos

So I think villain 'should' have enough Ax bluffs with zero equity against AA on the turn. When AA is x/c I think the value from these bluffs makes up for the lost value of not charging those 6 gutshots to see the river (if they even do). And the small risk of his other made hands outdrawing.

So I think it's not really close and like doing it with KK too. :f_love: Almost the same value, vulnerable to his Ax bluffs, but blocking his gutshots/oesd outs cancel this out. QQ works ok to bet I think.

I think it's worth keeping 99 in x/c range too for similar reasons. This would also make it nice to not have our range face up on the river and have a river x/r range.
      I think you pointed out something I missed. He is having alot of weak hands that's betting the turn that makes it better for us to check hands like AA KK since we are not really afraid of being out drawn..

Given that I think we should also check butted hands like 99 and also 55 44 for a check raise on the turn, not for balancing but because we get more value from a check than a bet.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      a royal flush finally!!!!

actually i think i had like 3 royal flushes in the last 6 months :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin: :s_biggrin:
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      my first client YC called me today, he has just received his policy documents and apparently thought he was not properly covered and i reassured him that it is properly covered.

i recall the first time i met YC, he was chinese speaking and i was not prepared to do a chinese Financial Education and Consultation Module. but because he was really so pleasant and nice i decided to just go ahead although at least 30% of whatever i prepared was going to be gone. after the Financial Education and Consultation Module, i went to his home to take the policy documents and saw his family that was pretty huge, 2 parents, 1 sick brother, 1 wife and 2 children all living on his income.

no wonder he has to work an average of 15 hours daily. this is the first time i had a REAL sense of satisfaction doing what i do. i know I'm protecting 6 people altogether by convincing YC to take up some protection. to be honest i don't think i did really convince him, because he was already sort of looking to acquire protection, i just happened to be there at the right time.

i thought that his wife should go and look for a job, and YC shared with me that she was cooking for a total of 7 people daily for 2 meals, and that if she goes out to work her income is no more than 700-800 and the increased cost that comes from the outside purchase of food adds up to be $1200+. which means she actually has to make more than $1000 which was impossible given her language barriers.

it was a really tiring journey following YC to and fro medical check ups because he is no longer in perfect health condition. thoughts about the commission really brought my mood down because it was no more than $120. i would have quit a long time ago if i was here for the $120. what is really satisfying is that he acknowledges the service i have provided through his behavior and he is aware that seldom will a financial adviser provide him this kind of service because it was not profitable to do so. i see this more like a charity act, except that im helping someone in a more long term way and that he acts to help himself and that i get a small benefit out of it (never actually compensates the work done but at least present).