My Long Road To Poker Glory

• WhiteNinja23
      WhiteNinja23
      Bronze
      Hi there and welcome to my blog.

About Me:
      My name is Michael (mike), I am 22 years if age living in Auckland, New Zealand. Currently I work full time at a bank, but my dream is to become a professional poker player. I decided to start this blog to hopefully inspire and motivate me to achieve my goals in poker (and maybe other goals in life).

My Poker Life So Far:
      Even from my early teenage years I've had a fascination with poker, knowing that it was possible to make a living from it My start in poker came when I was watching the 2010 ME, which is still IMO the greatest televised ME to date. They were advertising their game on Facebook which I started to play whenever I got the chance. Feeling more confident with my game I then went along to my university poker club which hosted a $20 rebuy event each week which usually got around 20 runners. It was there that i met one of my friends I knew outside of university (Josh) who had been having some success online. He referred me to a little strategy site online which a few of you may know about. I quickly soaked up the beginners strategy articles and passed the quiz to get my $50 start on FTP. Using the first week of my mid semester break I started playing sit 'n' go's ranging from $5 to $50, and found that I was doing better at mid stakes rather than micros. In my first week of poker i ran my $50 into $500.
      My start in poker came to a fairly abrupt end, for the at the end of my first week black Friday hit. When FTP did re open for the rest of the world for the short two months I managed to continue my run up, cashing for around $6k in tournaments. I managed to get most of the money i had off before FTP closed for good.

Since then i have played live poker, i have tried other sites and other games but I have been a break even or losing player. This is generally because I like to go on desperation tilt, I've played as high as 25/50 cap games and 5/10 online at times. I know that i have the skills necessary to be good enough to play poker full time but there needs to be serious change to the way i approach my poker career and my bankroll management.

The Challenge:
      And so my challenge is to start from the micros playing 6max NLH or PLO and ladder my way up the stakes until I reach a level where I can quit my job and play professionally. My main goal is to achieve this whilst sticking to my bankroll management plan. I had originally intended to do a 40 50 BRM plan where I would need 50 BI at the next level before I moved up and if I was to fall to 40 BI I would move down stakes. After some consideration and having a chat with a few friends I have decided to change this to a 20 30 BRM plan. As of today I am going to deposit $150 on PokerStars, which is 30 BI at NL5. If i fall to 20 BI then I will drop down o NL2 and I will have to get to $300 before I start playing Nl10. I will probably play anywhere between 4 to 12 tables at a time.

Goals:
      Short Term: For the Month Of May
      Play at least 10,000 hands
      Play/study poker 15 hours a week
      Post 3 times per week
      Stick to BRM plan
      Long Term:
      I want to increase my hands per month, the amount of hours i play ad study to the stage that I can play professionally.

Your Part:
      First of all thanks for reading through and for any support you give me while I attempt my challenge. I would love input in the form of comments about my goals and methods, comments on the hands that I will post, suggestions for good strategy articles to read or strategy sites/ coaches to sign up to (my PokerStars account isn't tracked by PS) and any other encouragement you can give me.

I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I will

Mike :D
  • 9 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Mike,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

It's taken you a long time to make your first post and I hope it will be the first of many. Also nice to see someone else from from my area (I'm in Tasmania).

GL and happy fishing

Laz
    • WhiteNinja23
      WhiteNinja23
      Bronze
      Here is the very first session, 700 hands over 51mins. Ended up with a profit of $6.54 and all in adj equity of $1.91. Good start I think, pity that I played one of the last hands pretty poorly and called off in a very bad spot (one of the biggest problems in my game). Next session will probably be tomorrow night so expect a post in about 24 hours time, might add in a hand post shortly if I find one that is worth discussing . Thanks to Lazza as well for the support.
      [img][IMG]https://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/smokeys_scratch/NL54514_zps2eb10ae6.png[/IMG][/img]
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Mike,

If you want to display images then you'll have to signup for an online image hosting website like Imgur, Tinypic or PostImage (all free). Then you upload your image to them and use their links to post here.

Regards

Laz
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi whiteninja,

Welcome to the blogs!

I'm in for the journey :)

You seem very determinant and precise with your goals,
      which is pretty promising.

Please keep us updated. :s_cool:

Best of luck,
      Fran
    • WhiteNinja23
      WhiteNinja23
      Bronze
      So this was an interesting hand, was only my second hand on the table, so not a lot of info on the opponents. Tell me what ya think

PokerStars - $0.05 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $1.95 (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
      Hero (CO): $4.60
      BTN: $5.39 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 2)
      SB: $5.02 (VPIP: -, PFR: -, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
      BB: $5.00 (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 7)

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has 9:diamond: 9:club:

UTG raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.15, fold, SB calls $0.13, fold

Flop: ($0.50, 3 players) 5:spade: 5:diamond: 2:spade:
      SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $0.36, SB raises to $1.00, fold, Hero calls $0.64

Turn: ($2.50, 2 players) J:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.50, 2 players) J:spade:
      SB bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

SB shows 9:spade: K:diamond: (Two Pair, Jacks and Fives) (Pre 31%, Flop 16%, Turn 7%)Hero shows 9:diamond: 9:club: (Two Pair, Jacks and Nines) (Pre 69%, Flop 84%, Turn 93%)Hero wins $4.70
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      My fishy brain says sb is at it, so i call down and see what happens on the river; I call the 1/2 pot bet there.

Disclaimer: I am a fish.

A better discussion may be generated here and get you a more comprehensive analysis.

You only need to be bronze to post. :)

Have fun,

Mal.
    • WhiteNinja23
      WhiteNinja23
      Bronze
      Hey everybody

Second session tonight, another 698 hand in 49 mins. I'm happy with how I played this session for the most of it, still some pretty bad calls when I should know better. Got into some really good spots tonight though, had nut flush v 2nd nut flush on the flop in one hand, also got it all in with bottom set v TP medium kicker and aces to ship a $15 pot. Small set back at the end of the session though, had my jacks cracked by a two outer on the river, all in pre jacks v threes for a $4 dollar pot, and then the very next hand on the table stacked off with queens v aces for a $10 pot. Overall ended up with $19.39 profit and all in adjusted equity of $16.91. Really happy with this start, hope i can keep it going so smoothly.

P.S these two sessions I've been 8 tabling, liking how it feels and will stick to it for a while.

[img][IMG]https://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/smokeys_scratch/NL55514session_zps75232f49.png[/IMG][/img]
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Why not try some zoom tables? Helps to kick up the hand rate if you like it. And allows you more focus on each table.
    • WhiteNinja23
      WhiteNinja23
      Bronze
      Hey everybody

Been a while since I've last posted, had a busy week playing some live poker, work and some other social commitments. Did manage to get some more sessions in though. I won all but one of my sessions which I'm really stoked about. I'll post the first week's graph below.

For the coming week, I need to put in a lot more hands and a few more posts. I want to talk about my hand ranges and my vpip and pfr stats in a post, I also want to talk about the possibility of playing zoom poker, so look out for that sometime later this week. Other than that I think the big goal for the week is to try and make it to NL10, which I think is attainable with about double the hands and a bit of run good.

Thanks for all the support.

[img][IMG]https://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m104/smokeys_scratch/NL5Week1_zpsdab72ff7.png[/IMG][/img]