NL2 ZOOM evaluation

• rap1dw1n3r
      rap1dw1n3r
      Bronze
      http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/8789458_4DBB12BB05

Would be great is some 1 evaluated this hand for me

So preflop i've decided to call giving the great odds im getting. When the flop brings a king i decide to check raise to but a price on flush draws etc. when both of them call my check raise i put one of them on a King and another on a draw therefore i bet big on turn to get value from a lower king and from the remaining draws if the other player decides to call. once they call again and a turn is a blank i decide to check to induce some bluffs when the short stack bets so small i put him on a QQ,JJ AK type hands and maybe some busted draws and since the bigger stack folds i decide to put him all in for maximum value from QQ or JJ and some random KhTh type hands.

The question is should a check call on river would have been better to protect from hands like AK and KK AA?
  • 5 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      hi

are they that wide for you to c/r KQ into 2 opponents?
      not saying that your line is LOL terrible but the standard is to play it more passively by check/calling twice, if they aren't too wide there's a fair chance that by check/raising you will actually be running into better hands a bit too often. opener is utg as well so i don't like it.

as played on the river you have to decide between just check/calling against missed draws or shoving against worse hands, if he actually gets there with QQ JJ they have zero reason to bet the river themselves.
    • ferrye
      ferrye
      Bronze
      Imo, your first mistake is preflop. Calling UTG raise from out of position with KQo will usually get you in trouble. Not to mention there is a call from the CO.
      Postflop : I would just fold and avoid these very marginal situations.

Checkraising at the flop is not a bad idea, but you should still proceed cautiously.
      Since your hand was very marginal to begin with, I would have just called that 6 cent bet. I wouldn't like to raise the pot with that kind of hand. Because of your marginal hand and bad position, you do NOT want to play big pots.
      Since BOTH call your checkraise, I would not waste any more money on this one.

The turn brings a Jack. Not a very good card for you. Opponent just might have now Jacks full or KJ. And you still only have a King pair with not the best kicker.
      I think there is no worst hands which would call your bet at this point. Raising is pointless and since you get 2 calls, you are in deep trouble.

Checking the river is your best move in this hand :D , going all IN, the worst.
      There is no way opponent would show a A5, AJ or K10. You are only getting called by better hands.

All in all, avoid those marginal situations unless you are sure about your postflop game.
    • rap1dw1n3r
      rap1dw1n3r
      Bronze
      thanks a lot for you opinion and thoughts and when you mentioned in i really should've been check folding at least the turn after my check raise got called by both of them what do you think if i had just check called the river since the bet was so small?

p.s. especially tomalocs thoughts made me realise that the check calling was way the better line since by check calling i keep their bluff hands and missed draws and when i check raise i only keep the value hands
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      the main thing is, did you think you had the best hand on the flop, and why?
      turn is a bad card but it doesn't improve THAT much of villains range, assuming they are loose. if they are tight the c/r is just bad to begin with.
      villains can call with random and KJ KT K9 whatever, but... do they even have all these weak Kx (are they loose enough preflop)? that's the main question.

anyway i don't think we are behind CO too often, but i'm worried about the utg guy since he can have AK and AA.
      if utg seems tight (default assumption) i don't like the c/r, if he's playing like 40/30 then it's ok.

since you're playing nl2 though you should probably just learn the fundamentals - fold pre (marginal), if you call then check/call flop, check/call turn (marginal, fold is ok), check/fold river.
    • rap1dw1n3r
      rap1dw1n3r
      Bronze
      i thought i might have the best hand on flop since i block some AK AQ combos the utg guys might have had AJs ofc i still thought that he might have me beat but the combos were just too few for me to fold i dunno i guess its just my faulty thought process