A FRESH START (50$ - 2500$ challenge inside)

• AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      New title - new goals ;)

Introduction:
      A FRESH START (50$ - 2500$ challenge inside)

I left my old introduction in the spoiler.

/AlcopopDK

I’ve been a member of Pokerstrategy for quite some time, but as my postcount indicates, I haven’t been as active in the forums as I could’ve been. This blog is my way of making up for that, as I feel it’s time to give something back to the community ;)

About me:
      My name is Mads, and I’m a 25 year old lad from Denmark, who’s never been able to break out of the micros, even though I’ve spent a lot of time playing and studying poker (probably too little studying ;) ) since I turned 18.

Current games and stakes:
      I’m playing a wide variety of MTSNGs in the pricerange of 2.5$ - 4.5$ mixed with a small number of STTs to get a feel for this format as well.

Shortterm Goals (May):
      - Goldstar status @ Stars
      - Platinum status @ Pokerstrategy
      - Upgrade to PT4
      - Get familiar with ICMizer and get better at using it postsession
      - Move to 7$ SNGs and grind a bankroll that allows me to play 8$ 180 mans comfortably

Longterm Goals:
      - Grind a bankroll that allows me to play 15$/30$ STTs and 7$/8$/3.5r$/15$ MTSNGs comfortably

Overall Goals:
      - Do a lot of off table work
      - Watch all relevant videos @ Pokerstrategy
      - Keep this blog active
      - Be active in the forums

The Title!?
      As SNG grinders we (hopefully) learn to accept the variance in our games, but I think there’s more to it than accepting the variance. We need to embrace the variance, since the variance keeps the fish (and bad regs) coming back day after day. Without the variance the games would dry up and only contain nitty regulars – That’s why we all should learn to love the Variance instead of bitching about it ;)

SNG Graph for 2014:
      First 500 games are 1$/1.5$ games and the rest is my current stakes with few shots at 7$ limits.

/AlcopopDK
  • 83 replies
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      Before tonights session i've been going through a couple of hands to show how brutal (or awesome) variance can be. In both hands i get it in good pre, but have to rely on a ONE outer on the river - Enjoy ;)

Hand #1

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/7840030_C37B69284A

Hand #2

PokerStars - $3.19+$0.31|500/1000 Ante 60 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: 10,888.00
      Hero (BB): 8,830.00
      UTG: 4,081.00
      UTG+1: 7,728.00
      MP: 5,804.00
      CO: 15,734.00
      BTN: 14,435.00

SB posts ante 60.00, Hero posts ante 60.00, UTG posts ante 60.00, UTG+1 posts ante 60.00, MP posts ante 60.00, CO posts ante 60.00, BTN posts ante 60.00, SB posts SB 500.00, Hero posts BB 1,000.00

Pre Flop: (1920.00) Hero has K:diamond: K:heart:

UTG raises to 4,021.00 and is all-in, fold, fold, CO calls 4,021.00, BTN raises to 14,375.00 and is all-in, fold, Hero calls 7,770.00 and is all-in, CO calls 10,354.00

Flop: (42461.00, 4 players) 2:club: Q:club: 2:spade:

Turn: (42461.00, 4 players) T:club:

River: (42461.00, 4 players) K:club:

CO shows Q:diamond: Q:spade: (Full House, Queens full of Twos) (Pre 18%, Flop 95%, Turn 95%)
      BTN shows K:spade: A:club: (Flush, Ace High) (Pre 21%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)
      Hero shows K:diamond: K:heart: (Full House, Kings full of Twos) (Pre 44%, Flop 5%, Turn 3%)
      UTG shows T:spade: T:heart: (Full House, Tens full of Twos) (Pre 17%, Flop 0%, Turn 3%)
      Hero wins 31,251.00
      CO wins 11,210.00

/AlcopopDK
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Mads,

Welcome to the blogs. :)

I agree that variance gives an advantage to the player who can accept it over the player who can't.

It took me until I read "The Mental Game of Poker" before I learnt to accept variance as my friend. It is still frustrating of course when peeps keep hitting their unlikely hands but there is nothing we can do about that, so we move on.

GL and Happy Fishing

Laz
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hi Mads,

Very nice intro,

I'll definetely follow,

Can you tell us more about STT MTT mix? Do you play these in separate sessions or you just mix them according to the circumstances in a given time (sometimes more STTs- sometimes more MTTs?)

Best of luck and keep us updated,
      Fran
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      thx for the kind words ;)

super happy to get some replies in the thread!

@FRANKIE
      ive recently started to add STTs to my grind schedule in order to get some experience in this format aswell. this means that 95%+ of my volume so far has been MTSNGs.

im 24 tabling atm and to keep track of different formats im trying to keep STTs to one corner of my screen. at times it can be a stressfactor to move tbls arround, but it helps me keep on top of things (like not missing icm spots).

starting up my session now

GL at the tables ;)

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      brutal session just came to an end.... ran into all sorts of crap tonight but somehow managed to only loose ~50 bucks.

on the plus side i got Silverstar @ stars and i think im closer than 50% to Goldstar @ Pokerstrategy which is nice too ;)

This hand pretty much sums up my night:

PokerStars - $2.28+$0.22|10/20 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

MP: 1,050.00
      Hero (MP+1): 1,470.00
      CO: 1,470.00
      BTN: 1,580.00
      SB: 1,480.00
      BB: 1,840.00
      UTG: 1,500.00
      UTG+1: 3,110.00

SB posts SB 10.00, BB posts BB 20.00

Pre Flop: (30.00) Hero has 9:spade: 9:heart:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 70.00, fold, Hero calls 70.00, CO calls 70.00, fold, fold, BB calls 50.00

Flop: (290.00, 4 players) 8:club: 9:club: Q:diamond:
      BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets 160.00, CO raises to 360.00, fold, fold, Hero raises to 1,400.00 and is all-in, CO calls 1,040.00 and is all-in

Turn: (3090.00, 2 players) 6:club:

River: (3090.00, 2 players) 8:diamond:

Hero shows 9:spade: 9:heart: (Full House, Nines full of Eights) (Pre 83%, Flop 95%, Turn 98%)
      CO shows 8:heart: 8:spade: (Four of a Kind, Eights) (Pre 17%, Flop 5%, Turn 2%)
      CO wins 3,090.00

Off to sleep - and back at it 2morrow ;)

/AlcopopDK
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Gogogo! You've made me write a long rant about the nature of what poker players (not mathematicians like me) call 'variance' :D :
      I'm somewhat surprised by your words about SnGs having bigger 'variance' in general (than, say, PLO). I'm not really sure what poker players usually mean by 'variance'. I guess, the mental pressure on an 'average reg' is meant.

In those terms, MTTs, incl. 180-mans, are somewhat harsher on the brain because, as we mathematicians say, they're 'skewed' - bustouts and small cashes are frequent while deep finishes are rare, so it often takes a lot of games to grind out of a breakeven or losing stretch.

However, the skewness is actually a good news because, on the bright side, a single big cash secures a bankroll for many games to come, and general the risk of ruin is significantly smaller than for STTs and cash games with the same variance-to-winrate ratio, which makes MTTs and MTSnGs more pleasant for share buyers (backers).

The said ratio is often meant when players say that hypers have a bigger 'variance' than turbos of the same BI and table size. The variance in the strict mathematical sense is about the same regardless of the speed because the prize distribution is the same; what differs are ROIs attainable by regs, and that difference is responsible for the bigger downswing sizes in BIs in hypers.

But $8 180-mans, $15 hypers, $30 turbos, PLO25 and NL50 are all about equivalent as to BRM requirements imo, and I wouldn't say that one of these games has significantly bigger swings; they just have different flavours of tilt triggers.

Frankie, STTs (especially hypers) are handy when the main game (MTSnGs here) fails to fill up fast. They're perfect for starting and finishing the session because they fill up instantly and are shorter, so one can keep a fairly constant table count while MTSnGs are loading at the beginning and during a small number of deep runs in the end. In the middle, all the table slots get filled by MTSnGs, while the hypers fortunately end by this time.

I for one used to fire a few Twisters on iPoker (similar to Stars hypers in terms of the speed and stack sizes) while jackpot SnGs were filling up. Now the big size of the Rio jackpot makes the games fill up faster than superturbos :f_eek: so the trick isn't working (but also isn't needed).
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      @Tony

i'm pleased that i "made" u rant about variance and i think u have some very good points!

For the record though i didn't make any conclusions that SNGs had bigger variance than other formats, just that variance in general can be tough ;)

and also thx for ur input on mixing STTs into the schedule!

Im gonna put in an afternoon session, and hopefully break out of the declining curve that my graph has atm. ;)

GL guys

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      The first week of this Blog is now history...

im not satisfied with volume, nor results...

For this week im putting up a goal of at least 700 SNGs. im confident that with hard work the results will come eventually.

ive already logged the first small session for this week and im looking to play another one tonight. But first im gonna watch the most recent video on 180 mans by Collin Moshman.

GL out there ;)

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      Wow last couple of days has basicly been like this:

On the other hand volume is fine and im pleased with that ;)

ive posted a couple of hands in the hand evaluation forum and i would be happy if u would post some feedback!

2.5$ 180 2 tables remaining

&

FT of 45 man turbo (3.5$)

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      Had a couple of good sessions today ;)

First of all back in the Green for the week (and for the month)

- 400 ish SNGs played so far this week (slightly ahead of pace)
      - Gold @Pokerstrategy (prolly a little behind pace on this one)
      - 50% Goldstar @Pokerstars

All in all a nice day! But i need to catch up on some videos on here ;)

GL out there!

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      unfortunately ive been absent from the forums for a week and a half. furthermore i havent managed to play a single hand of poker in this period.

this is a consequence of me being clumsy... trying to skip some steps down the stairs i litterally ran my had into the brick wall which resulted in a minor concussion. The consussion has given me a headache (gone now ;) ) and therefore i havent spent much time at my computer...

on the plus side ive graduated my bachelor of financial management and services in the same timeframe and im now job-hunting! ;)

i'll post graph for week two of this blog, and some thoughts on which of my may goals i'll be able to complete, and which ones i have to reconsider, later today.

GL at the tbls

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      Heres my graph for week two of this blog:

im not gonna get platinum @Pokerstrategy this month due to lack of volume, and im not sure about Goldstar @Stars but i might give it a shot this week (im 50% atm).

about the software upgrades im gonna buy these when i have money to spare off my bankroll (i know i should just go ahead and buy those, but im reluctant about spending more money from my liferoll on poker)

im satisfied with the off table work that includes watching videos, but i definately have room for improvement when it comes to looking at interesting spots...

Thats all for now - see you at the tbls ;)

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      Its time to post a status for May '14 ;)

i did struggle to put in the volume and im definately hoping to improve that in June!

Graph:

graph is a bit off (PS cashier says + 135$) but it shows that May has been swingy as hell ;/

at this point i only have 3 goals for June:

- Goldstar @ Stars (~2k games at current stakes)
      - 10%+ ROI
      - Update graph with VPP counts preferably after each session

GL guys

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      small update b4 ill go to sleep

VPP count: 234 / 2500

Bankroll is at all time peak ;) and with a little endgame rungood ill skyrocket into higher stakes this month ;)

/AlcopopDK
    • larsonk7
      larsonk7
      Bronze
      Gl Alco

Well done on the bankroll:)

Do you play Mtt's as well?
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      ty ty Larsonk7 ;)

every once in a while ill play some MTTs (for fpp or qualified) but im trying my best to keep it at a minimum....

played 130+ SNGs (and big11 which i busted early ;) ) with a decent profit today

VPP count: 423,50 / 2500

QUESTION: ive been uploading pictures with imageshack, but aparently they have a fee now, and 30 day trial ends tomorrow... how can i upload pictures without using imageshack?? ty in advantage

GL guys

/AlcopopDK
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      VPP count: 547,85 / 2500

QUESTION: ive been uploading pictures with imageshack, but aparently they have a fee now, and 30 day trial ends tomorrow... how can i upload pictures without using imageshack?? ty in advantage

Bad session overall today... but im looking forward to hopefully playing 150 SNGs Monday!

/AlcopopDK
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      imgur.com works well on this forum.

It's great that you're set to grind no matter what, keep it up!

P.S. Don't confuse the words 'advantage' and 'advance' ;)
    • AlcopopDK
      AlcopopDK
      Bronze
      Thx tony - ill take a look at imgur.com... and thx for pointing out that ive mixed up the words (english is not my native language) ;)

although i stated that yesterdays session was bad - it wasnt all bad ;)

I lost some money, but i feel that my game is still improving (even when things go bad).

I also added the 5$ 90 man turbo progressive KO SNGs to my schedule and these are just gr8! the turbo format suits me, and its just a fun game with KOs increasing in value during the game!

If you're playing MTSNGs in that pricerange and havent tried those SNGs - do yourself a favor and try them out ;)

Have some RL stuff to do b4 todays session - GL and cya at the tables later !!!

/AlcopopDK