Slow import into new tablespace

• Masqb
      Masqb
      Black
      Hi,
      I'm running out of space on main disk and I want to move my older hands on new HDD. I created new tablespace using pgAdmin 3, exported my hands and started importing into new database on new tablespace.
      Problem is that after importing few thousands hands import speed started dropping rapidly, after ~5gb of hands it dropped to 1 hand per second.
      Importing hands on my main disk, even into big database is still running normally (~150 h/s), what should I do to improve import speed on new disk?

I created new tablespace using instructions in G3K0's post https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=526&start=30#p11405
  • 5 replies
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      G3K0's post is for PokerTracker 3 and was created in 2008, 6 years ago. Most of the issues G3K0's post attempted to address are not concerns in 2014 while using PokerTracker4. If you wish to move your database to a new drive then you must

1) Install a new instance of PostgreSQL on the new drive, we recommend using PostgreSQL 9.0.17 64 Bit, we do not support versions later than this. Make note of the admin password, and create a new port for this instance - I recommend using 5439 (5432 is the default, swich the 2 with a 9 to remind yourself that your using PostgreSQL 9.0.x)

2) Backup your old database using PokerTracker's built in backup feature.

3) Create a new database in PT4 using Database > Database Management. Be sure to use the port you assigned for the new PostgreSQL instance on the new drive. Use the same name as the database you backed up. Make this database Active and the Default.

4) Remove the database you previously used on the original drive from PT4 by clicking Remove in the Database Management window - DO NOT CLICK DELETE.

4) Restore the backup database to the new default database. Do not restore any other components, just the database. Restart and start playing!

https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/tutorials/backup-and-restore
    • Masqb
      Masqb
      Black
      Originally posted by PokerTracker
      1) Install a new instance of PostgreSQL on the new drive, we recommend using PostgreSQL 9.0.17 64 Bit...
      I don't know how to do it. EnterpriceDB installer only asks for installation folder during first installation, when I try to install on new drive it finds existing directory and only allows to install on top of it.
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by Masqb
      Originally posted by PokerTracker
      1) Install a new instance of PostgreSQL on the new drive, we recommend using PostgreSQL 9.0.17 64 Bit...
      I don't know how to do it. EnterpriceDB installer only asks for installation folder during first installation, when I try to install on new drive it finds existing directory and only allows to install on top of it.
      If you already had 9.0 installed on the old drive, then you cannot install a new instance as you have discovered. You can only install new instances when there are multiple versions being used. To solve this problem you must uninstall the original instance on your old drive - obviously you should not do this until AFTER you backup.

PS: If you can wait a few weeks, we might have a new solution available to you. Thats all I can say for the time being.
    • Masqb
      Masqb
      Black
      I want to keep part of my database on the old drive.
      I'll try intalling 8.4 or 9.1 on the new drive and import hands there (backup/restore won't work, I presume)

Few weeks or few months? :P (Will PT5 have multi drive support?)
    • PokerTracker
      PokerTracker
      Gold
      Originally posted by Masqb
      I want to keep part of my database on the old drive.
      I'll try intalling 8.4 or 9.1 on the new drive and import hands there (backup/restore won't work, I presume)

Few weeks or few months? :P (Will PT5 have multi drive support?)
      9.1 is NOT supported. 9.0 is the latest option we can support at this time.

We do not recommend installing 8.4, but it can be done. Our database queries are optimised for 9.0, 8.4 uses old technology.

I recommend moving all of your databases to the new drive, if you're running out of space then Postgres needs to be uninstalled and the data folders deleted to regain that space.