Free 6max-Hyper-Coaching with Bernardc and Jaxtraw, May 14, post your questions here

• jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Hey Guys,

Great to be back on Poker Strategy. For those who do not know me, my name is Peter Falk, founder of http://jaxtrawpoker.com/category/videos/. On May 14, I will be hosting a live coaching question and answer session with Bernard "bernardc" Cappel on 6max Hyper play.

Bernard is an absolute beast when it comes to sng. He loves a challenge and is very profitable in all sng formats from HU to 6max Hypers. His prerakeback stats for 6max Hypers, $60-$100Hypers, and overall,

Bernard's approach to any sng format is to use HUD stats as his basis, then weigh other variables to refine his ranges. He uses a lot of common sense and logic to figure which his optimal play should be.

We will use our time on PokerStrat to talk about Bernard's strategy in general, and to answer your specific questions. If you have any questions, this is the thread to post them in. We will try to answer follow up questions on the fly, but as you know sometimes time runs out.

We are excited to do this, and Im confident you will get a lot out of it.
  • 15 replies
    • SvenBe
      SvenBe
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      He guys, keep your ideas & questions coming - leave some interesting questions or hands for Bernard and Peter, maybe even some hand histories!
    • FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      FFRRAANNKKIIEE
      Silver
      Hey,

Thanks for this free coaching, looking forward to watch it.

Here are some things which interest me:

-First level- in which circumstances (if any) we 3bet not ai and why?
      -First level- defending BB and postflop plan in these spots.
      -Middle phase- should we have a limping range from SB?
      -Bubble ICM adjustments with different stack sizes.

Sorry if asking too much or too simple, I'm just a beginner in the format, but am reallly interested in 6max hypers.

Kind regards,
      Fran
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Hey Frankie,

Good questions, ill see they get answered during the presentation. Keep em coming!
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      1. What tricks do you use to memorise Nash ranges for extremely shortstacked play (< 5 bb eff.)? With what precision do you distinguish stack sizes when doing so? (Say, are 3 bb different from 3.50 bb for you?)

2. Do you find it profitable for anyone to select the best of hyper and turbo midstake games at the same time, as opposed to grinding only hypers?

3. What kind of personality and skillset does a player (say, with a BR and playing experience sufficient for 12-15-tabling $30s-60s profitably) need for hypers to become a preferable game format for the SNE chase (if this, and not moving up to fame, is the main goal*) as opposed to turbos** or other games?

* The absence of a VIP level between SN and SNE is a big problem and so SNEs' volume is bigger than optimal, while with the terrible SN RB%, Stars become pretty unplayable. There's however no need to take part in the $100+ high variance reg-on-reg massacre to make 7 stars and a living.

** Tbh, I'm skeptical about hypers in this respect because imo turbos, with their 8% rake allowing for the same VPP-per-table-hour rate and deeper stacks allowing for an ROI up to twice bigger, are an easier (less swingy) way to make SNE. I think I'll just stop mixing superturbos in [I'm on iPoker] as they're a swingier way to make a lower hourly (especially because supers / hypers allow less time to act and the table count can't be the same as with turbos).

Sorry for the long rant - I've recently had a Skype dispute with Frankie on turbos vs hypers vs CAP for SNE and thought it would be awesome to hear what hyper regs say in defence of their format.
    • Maciekelo
      Maciekelo
      Bronze
      Hi, im really glad that i found this thread :) Here are some questions for you:

1. I had watched some videos from you where you explain blind vs blind wide raises/limps and flats in first blind level. How does your game changing when 2nd/3th blinds coming and you are still 15bb+ deep vs blind? Is it still profitable to play so many hands?

2. Do you ever flat at 8-10bb ? Sometimes im playing with non-folding randoms. They raise me and i dont expect to have any fold equity with 3bet. What is your gameplan when you holding hands like JTo 98s etc.? Im rarely flating this becouse i think i can double up easly if i hit and i dont want to flip vs bad player when im most of the time behind. Its about big blind play of course.

Big thanks and cant wait :)
    • Lagmalix
      Lagmalix
      Silver
      Thanks for doing this!
      I have a question regarding the bubble play, hopefully I’m not overthinking this. Let’s say the stacks are: bu 9 bb’s, sb 16 bb’s and bb 5 bb’s. We are the big stack and BU has folded. ICM says we should push close to any2 in those spots but are there any circumstances in which we could consider folding here (assuming calling isn’t an option either).
    • sandp1per
      sandp1per
      Bronze
      Hi, thanks for doing this chat and for you video series.

Just a few questions :

What is the best way to study 6 max hypers ?

What are the best areas to look to improve at to give you an edge over other regs (ie what are they not doing so well ?).

How do you know when changes in your game are correct given the variance and the amount of games need to measure results in hypers, do you trust EV more in order to see the impact of changes ?

How do you judge when to move up given variance/volume of games to indicate your true results, again is EV a better indicator than results

Thanks
    • pceetje
      pceetje
      Bronze
      Hi Jaxtraw,

Great that you are doing a coaching session on PS!

How big does a shove need to be, before you consider folding (f.ex. do you allways call a 3bb shove?)

Do you think it's profitable to play hypers with regs, who play a lot of tables, and are more easily exploited postflop, or do you prefer playing playing 'weak' players?

What does influence your calling ranges?

Thx!
    • maxwi
      maxwi
      Black
      In what kind of situations do you throw classic ICM out the window and play a different and better way?
      Where does your edge against the other regs come from?
    • maxwi
      maxwi
      Black
      Great coaching.

Unfortunately a bit short though.
      21:30 - 23:00 was scheduled but maybe the schedule is wrong.
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Glad you enjoyed, sorry about the timing error, that was on my end.
    • pceetje
      pceetje
      Bronze
      Hi Jaxtraw,

I saw on you website you are doing a low-stakes Hypers coaching in June.
      Unfortunately, I'm in my exam period now, so I won't be able to follow the course.
      Will there be another such coaching, or will the video's be accessible afterwards?
      I Have nice roi's on 3.5 and 7's, but i want to be able to move up to the 15's and beat them consistently, so I tought your coaching might be intesesting :) .

grtz, and thx for the coaching on PS!
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pceetje
      Hi Jaxtraw,

I saw on you website you are doing a low-stakes Hypers coaching in June.
      Unfortunately, I'm in my exam period now, so I won't be able to follow the course.
      Will there be another such coaching, or will the video's be accessible afterwards?
      I Have nice roi's on 3.5 and 7's, but i want to be able to move up to the 15's and beat them consistently, so I tought your coaching might be intesesting :) .

grtz, and thx for the coaching on PS!
      Hey pceetje,

This is a special low stakes class, our first and probably our last till at least mid-fall. Attendees will receive a free video after the class completion, and the video will be available for public sale (at same price) some time in july. So you can pay now and even if you do not attend you can get your vid early, or if you like you can wait till July, just check our site every now and then for release date, or follow us on facebook!
    • pceetje
      pceetje
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks, I think I will pay for the coaching.
      But isn't it a problem for you if I'm not able to actually follow the coaching, because then you don't get questions?
    • jaxtraw
      jaxtraw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pceetje
      Ok, thanks, I think I will pay for the coaching.
      But isn't it a problem for you if I'm not able to actually follow the coaching, because then you don't get questions?
      What makes these classes such a compelling video, even if you do not attend, aside from the crazy amount of depth we go into on our own, is you get the added benefit of hearing the questions and answers from all the other attendees. You might have a specific question that was not asked, but for the most part you will gain a lot from other attendees' questions, and just the overall thorough structure of the series.