What do you class as a bad beat?

• TheDoctor64
      TheDoctor64
      Bronze
      Today I had 10 all-ins pre-flop, where my odds pre-flop were between 68% and 84% in my favour....

and lost 6 of them :-)

I fully understand variance so I am not concerned about one afternoon's play - just wanted to know what do you class as a bad beat?

Is it based on a percentage? Or more to do with timing?

i.e AA v TT 81%/19% really hurt, but didn't knock me out as I had a slightly bigger stack (only slightly)!

But ATo v A3o 71%/29% to bubble out was a real pain!!

Thought please,

Cheers,

Jass
  • 7 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Jass,

A bad beat in my view is getting, for example, 1 or 2-outered. I've honestly never really given it much thought what would really be considered a bad beat.

Losing ATvA3 therefore is not a bad beat. The guy is simply going to win 30% of the time, so that's actually quite often. Not a whole lot you can do about that. The same applies to losing AA against a lower pocket pair for example. Yes it sucks, but not really a bad beat.

Now if you have AA, hit your set on the flop, and then the other guy hits running quads, that would be a bad beat.

That's just how I look at it anyway :)

Regards,
      Tino
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi Jass,

Take a look here at the glossary of poker terms, there is a definition of bad beat for you. :)

Hope that helped and please try to avoid those, they suck big time! :f_cry:

Regards,

Mal.
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      I lost a 99.90% hand once, but it didnt tilt me that much, because villains play wasnt that bad (I coolered him and he sucked out on me...). But if u want to know what is sickness:

NL Omaha Hi/Lo - a game where if you stackoff preflop without AA2x or AA3x, you are burning money. AA2x has 55-75% equity and the "variance" for stacking off w/ that hand is low, because even when you lose the high hand, around half of the time you are going to win the low.
      So, I stacked off with A A 2/3 X 11 times:
      9 times villain didnt have aces and 2 times they had junk aces.
      Lost 9 pots and split 1.
      Never gona play this format again :f_mad:

Even worst is when a player calls 20% of his stack preflop with Queen fucking Ten against your kings, flops a queen on a dry flop and check raises - stacks off (where you cannot call him with worse) only to hit his fucking card and go on to winning the tournament for $4000 and you bust on 20 for 25 dollars and fourty-fucking-five cents!

Or... a player limp-calls AJo UTG 30bb deep, against your A :diamond: K :diamond: when the flop comes K :heart: Q :diamond: J :diamond: and he donk pushes with his fucking 6% equity only to hit his miracle fucking jack on the fucking river, FUCK! (and again goes on to splash YOUR chips on the final table, when you get like 10 fucking dollars for your 4 fucking hours of play)

I consider the idiot play that gets rewarded (even if its 40/60) worse of a bad beat than a 1 in a 1000 win.
      Sorry for the ramble, you can guess I play on stars... and I guess I shouldnt complain because its not like I lost like thousands in a day. Just sharing...
      I hope you have better luck in similar spots! ;)
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nsavov
      I consider the idiot play that gets rewarded (even if its 40/60) worse of a bad beat than a 1 in a 1000 win.
      same :D
      if you cooler villain and he hits an 1-outer, well whatever you'd have done the same, but when villain coldcalls a huge 4bet with 76o and flops twopair, well now that's bad :D
    • TheDoctor64
      TheDoctor64
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies guys...

I agree - it is not the stats but the rewarding of bad play that is a pain...

but only for a moment...
      Cheers

Jass
    • rompas
      rompas
      my worst bad beat was in a cash game for a 2k pot,, floped str8 flush with my78 spades , villian going crazy at flop so allin from both, he shows a4 spades and i start thinking what to do with all money :f_biggrin: turn k spades river q spades :f_o: never forgeting this pot, this is a bad beat for me,,,
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      The context figures into it too.
      I recently bust out of a tournament where I was short-stacked, and went all-in with a decent holding and flopped TP w/ an OK kicker. I was called by a big stack with T3o.

He got a 3 on the flop, and hit a T on the river. Out.

Bad beat?

Not really.
      He is stupid not to call, since even if he doesn't get me this time, he can get me next time, or the one after that.

While working on a project today, I watched 3 tables of SCOOP-19-H NL Hold'em 6-Max shootout.

After 12 hours, they had not completed the first two rounds.
      A whole lot of folding going on.

In all that time, I did not detect ANY loss where the player winning had made a stupid play and sucked out. The one thing I've noticed about bad players that win by suckouts, lose by trying the same crap again and again.

So bring 'em on, beat me with your 82o -- I'll get you some other time.

Peace,
      --VS