Getting Stronger

• tukioppilas62
      tukioppilas62
      Gold
      I'm 19-year old guy who just finished high-school and want's to become a good pokerplayer. I've posted a lot of hands at the english forum and it's been a great help to improve my game. Now I decided to start writing a blog about poker in english. I want to improve my english and I want to grow up as a person and pokerplayer. Would also be nice to get in touch with more people playing the same stakes as I.

I started poker when I was 14-old. My friends played on Everest poker against each other with playmoney and I made also an account with wrong details. Soon I founded freerolls and "shasta" limit holdem Sng tables with 10snt's prizepool. I found out that I can make money by multitabling them, having 10 tables running at the same time all sommer long. Build up a 50 dollar bankroll and ofc. lost it all on cash games. When I got to no limit tables it was like in heaven. :D

As I turned 18 I found this forum and made my first deposit and started to play nl2 and nl4. I also won in a tournament and moved up fast to 25nl. It's amazing to look at those hands I played. I really had no idea what I was doing. Just playing agressively and having a big big ego. Not even willing to improve. After watching tons of videos posting a lot of hands I managed to show profit at nl25 and moved up to 50nl zoom where I'm playing now and my results are breakeven.

I think the reasons I dont show profit are mostly on mental things. My character is realy the opposite of what I think most succersfull pokerplayers mostly are: I'm a chaotic, but creative person. Not consistent at all. My skills are on convicing people and creating ideas. After putting in the hours of work I can play nl25 and show easy profit by making bluffs on spot's where I know exactly what my opponent's is thinking I'm thinking. At nl50 peple are better players and I can't do it anymore. I also make a lot of mistakes by making plays that "might" work espc. when I'm playing my B-game I make plays which I KNOW are not good but which may look okayish. Super, super borderline stuff just because I'm playing my B-game. This also means I'm a bit tilted without realy recognizing it.

This is a very long post but I'm writing here because I want to improve. I've already put a lot of work on my game and I'm fanatic on poker about my goals and also on sports! I want to make 1 hand chinups! :D I'm going to write about my progress about that as well as my progress in poker. Now I'm out of job before I go to army for 2 months and have a lot of time for poker and training.

So, a lot of talking but what I'm really going to do is to stop on spot's where I'm not sure what the best play is really think and make a fold if I have the feeling I'm going to make a mistake. I'm also going to write a report of my every session, and at the end of the day I post it here. I haven't ever had a playing schedule, but now I've been putting a huge volume in which has made me just super tired. I feel like I'm playing all day long but I'm actually not - just wasting a lot of time on bullshit and knowing that but I've been too lazy and unwanted to stop it.

Today I take off from poker and tomorrow I'm going to start by waking up 6am and going to run 4km + making chinups, and stuff. After that I'm going to play 90min session, 15min brake, 90min session. 1 hour brake and then 90min, 15brake and 90min. So that I play 6h everyday and end my days at round about 4pm or 5pm.

I feel good about this! Take care and wish me luck! :f_love:
  • 9 replies
    • Respek66
      Respek66
      Basic
      Awesome post my new friend. Very great intro and I look forward to following along with your journey to become a better poker player and of course person. 1 handed chin ups!? Bruce Lee could do those but he was a god :f_p: try to add me on Skype if you can figure it out ;) shouldn't be too hard. I have always wanted to write about my career because I think it helps keep you motivated and discipline to keep on working hard. Let's move up in stakes together buddy!
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Everyone knows that im going to troll. What else could i do? :f_biggrin:

I like your schedule. The only thing i don't get is how can you do something after sport, but running might be easier i guess. I can barely walk after trainings :D

See you at the tables!

4bet bluffs doesnt count in our case anymore. You have to 5bet jam trash and obv post it here! Deal? :coolface:
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      Nice plan there. The exercise is really going to help. Everything else will show its way, get ready for the bumpy journey, it's definitely not going to be easy, yet at the same time fulfilling. The biggest challenges I faced were from poker and so are the biggest learning lessons. Good luck
    • tukioppilas62
      tukioppilas62
      Gold
      Haha, thanks for your comments guys!! :D

Waking up 6am was a bit too ambitious to start with, cause I usually get up at 12 and go to sleep whenever I want. Anyhow at 8:00 I managed to get out of bed and went immediately jogging. And I did it just because I remembered what I wrote here yesterday. Made also chin ups and trained shoulder at a training station. Wasn't very light after sleeping 4h only but 2x10 clean reps. Next time I make 1x12 and 1 x max. After I manage to make 20 I start again going to gym and make with extra weight's but before that I need to lose weight.

About poker. In the morning after running I played 60min session. First 30minutes I played my A-game, next 15minutes my level of focus dropped to my b-game. I started to forget positions made 1 river call which I wasn't sure if it's right and which probably could have been avoided by betting turn. After the last 15minutes I decided to quit cause my level of focuse was going even worse.

My 2nd session I played my A-game and concentrated 100% ended my session after playing 1/2 hour. I'm not trying to force myself to play high volume anymore if I don't feel like, just trying to focus on my mental game cause there are the most mistakes.

1 handanalysis, feel free to comment!

Villain F3b 45% large sample solid reg. BB a fish, preflop I think espc. 200bb deep the reg calls so wide that we can 3bet for value. Fish may cold call worse dominated hands too.

Flop I ch/ usually 200bb deep AA, KK, QQ cause our hand on this texture has 2 street's of value and is hard to call down facing raise. KQ I'm ch/folding on the flop facing a bet. Flop goes ch/ch. Turn by betting twice we can make villain fold 99, 88 and A-highs, we have enough Jx in our range I think. It took villain long to call the turn which made me think he mostly has an ace. 99, TT can call faster but he tanked a little. River 99 get's there but I doubt he has it often with the timing he took on turn and on the river he prob. doesn't
      see me bluffing a lot and he prob. folds TT. So betting 1/2 pot to drop Ax's and TT.

-----------

Playing my b/c-game I would have probably just bet the flop and think oh, he has something and ch/fold the turn without concentrating on ranges and timings properly.

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $57.80 (115.6 bb)
      Hero (SB): $112.65 (225.3 bb)
      BB: $18.69 (37.4 bb)
      UTG: $67.09 (134.2 bb)
      MP: $24.12 (48.2 bb)
      CO: $110.79 (221.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K Q
      2 folds, CO raises to $1.50, BTN folds, Hero raises to $5, BB folds, CO calls $3.50

Flop: ($10.50) 8 8 J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($10.50) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $4, CO calls $4

River: ($18.50) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $8.83, CO folds

Results:
      $18.50 pot ($0.83 rake)
      Final Board: 8 8 J J 9
      Hero mucked K Q and won $17.67 ($8.67 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$9 net)
    • tukioppilas62
      tukioppilas62
      Gold
      Played today 1,5k hands only. Woke up at 12am, had no fun to go run but I started to play after I woke up and ate breakfast. I had the feeling I have too much agression. I was cappable to play well and concentrate but I had realy force myself hard not to spew and to think objectively. My first session I played only 300 hands and after that I took a break and meditated for half an hour. After that I was cappable to play my A-game for round about 20minutes but I still had the feeling I have too much energy and agression. Went to gym trained hard and came back fresh. Played 40minutes. The first 1/2 hour I was in the zone but then my concentration was totally scrapped. Quit after 40min session, went for a kebab and beers with my friend and just came back. We tried to pick up two german tourist but they were lesbian. :( (

My redline and results are better on the last 2 days when I concentrated hard on my mental game and I feel I'm moving to a new level. I'm actually not sure if it's better to have a schedule when to play or not, or just to play when I feel I can play well. Drinking damages concentration but it's important to keep up social life and have fun - so it's also an two piped deal. I guess optimal for poker is to have an sex relationship and to have frend's to party with and to have a family without a lot of problems. Problems always harm the controll and concentration. The high agression is maybe the biggest problem I have now, which affects me while I'm playing. I realy need sex and sport regularly to keep myself more focused on the tables. My goal is to live somewhere abroad and just focuse on playing and having fun. I also want to move up stakes and beat better players. I don't give a shit about money - I want to become better in the game. It's like chess, the master nerd's didn't thought about money when they started they just wanted to become better and better. I have the same passion and no one is going to stop me. Nl50 zoom is totally beatable when I can play with full concentration. When I play and don't realy concentrate and give 100% I lose! To improve in the time I can play my A-game I'm going to write in my own notebook about why and when my A-game turn's to B-game and what are the mistakes I make on my B-game. The new A-ha feeling I've become is that it doesn't matter how much volume I put in if the way I play is a loosing way. If my A-game makes 9bb/100 and my B-game makes -19bb/100 and I can only play 30min A-game and the rest is B-game I end up breakeven or losing. As the great book "mental game of poker2" says - analyse ur A-game, analyse ur B-game, analyse ur C-game. That's what I'm going to do!!
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Sad story about those 2 girls... Were they good? :D
    • tukioppilas62
      tukioppilas62
      Gold
      I feel really sad. I've fucked up with my schedule and with everything. I really need to find a girlfriend and I need to quit smoking pot and drinking. I feel so shit about everything from start to end of my life. It has been a hell and I just need to get out of my family. And I need to find a way to be happy with no drugs. All bullshit reflects to poker and I feel I need to fix my mind before I really can improve and find the real motivation. I'm going to quit drinking and smoking pot today. For real 0 tolerance - no alc. at even in my graduation party. It just doesn't pass to me at all. Sucks to post stuff like this that doesn't realy interest anyone but it's in my mind the most important thing. So I write it.
    • gAsheks
      gAsheks
      Bronze
      Sounds like a big plans, and hope that you can realize them but:
      If you want to be balanced and live GTO you should drink at the school party :coolface:
    • tukioppilas62
      tukioppilas62
      Gold
      Hah, picking up girls is easier for me if I'm clean!! But finding a girlfrend is hard if u look for quality. But I hate drinking cause I lose control and weird stuff just starts to happen..