6 max stats for identifying player types

• seacat22
      seacat22
      Silver
      Having recently switched from fr to 6 max I find I am having problems and losing money because when I classify a player type I am still using fr stats eg someone playing 22/22 I would think they were a lag when in fact they are probably tag and would use wrong strategy against them. ?(

Obviously there is no exact answer but who would like a stab at the following player types at 6 max non speed tables eg vpip/prf 3bet or anything else you think is useful
      loose/passive
      loose/aggressive
      tight/passive
      tag/reg
      nit
      maniac

look forward to your thoughts
      ps I have read the silver article "the five player types" but this info is missing
  • 4 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i'll stab for VPIP, PFR, 3b because these will be most indicative of style:

Loose passive - anywhere from ~28 vpip. PFR will vary but probably won't be much more than 10 or 12 depending on sample. not much of a 3bet (maybe 3% but not much more)

Loose aggressive (good) would be around 26/24/12

Loose aggressive (bad) would be the standard retard: 50/25 with random 3bet stats ranging from 0 to 20 or something stupid.

Tight passive: 16/8/3

TAG/Reg: most people are around these numbers, give or take: 23/21/8, but many regs are having smaller 3bets (some regs have higher 3bets) and some people are overall a lot tighter, like 19/17 and the gaps between VPIP/PFR vary a lot.

Nit: i'd say something like 17/15/4

Maniac = loose aggressive (bad) so stupid random stats that are overall much higher than what you would expect to see.
    • seacat22
      seacat22
      Silver
      thank you Dr Dunne for taking the time to give an in depth answer was definitely on the wrong track as i was treating 23/21 s as lags. I notice lots of your stats are close together many of mine have very large gaps in them any significance in this.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      not 100% sure what you mean.. do you mean VPIP/PFR are close together? or differences between nit/TAG and LAG are small?

i think it might be because they are just ballpark figures/estimates. i'd consider a 18/18 a pretty tight TAG, or 20/18 for example. but also 25/20 could also be TAG but on the slightly laggy side. its just how i see the numbers/categorise the players and everyone will see it slightly differently i guess.

the larger the gap between the VPIP/PFR then obviously the wider they are coldcalling (with respect to overall VPIP). depending on how the limit plays, if you have a wide coldcalling range you may be opening urself up to getting squeezed, maybe you are leaking money postflop, or you might be missing out on some spots to turn some of those worse hands into 3bet bluffs for example. hard to say tho.

about 3bets, its really limit-dependent i think because you could probably get away with 3betting a completely merged range on nl2/nl5 for example and that might have an effect on the overall frequency of 3betting. but if you have a solid 3betting game i guess it could be anything between 8%-12% depending on things like postflop edge. however i havent seen many people on nl25 or below with much more than 10% and most regs seem between 6% and 10%.

you are definitely wrong to treat 23/21 as lags! maybe it will help to look into opening ranges for your own game and then once you get a feel for what is good you can compare to others. generally from EP-SB some good open raise frequencies are: ~12%, 16%, 26%, 55%, 35%. if you are just coming from fullring it makes a lot of sense to play tighter just to get used to the dynamics, but if you are playing tighter than this you will definitely want to open up more sooner or later. as you improve and get more confident you can open up more than this too.
    • seacat22
      seacat22
      Silver
      the larger the gap between the VPIP/PFR then obviously the wider they are coldcalling (with respect to overall VPIP). depending on how the limit plays, if you have a wide coldcalling range you may be opening urself up to getting squeezed, maybe you are leaking money postflop, or you might be missing out on some spots to turn some of those worse hands into 3bet bluffs for example. hard to say tho.

sorry my question so badly worded but it was the above I was after ,the rest has given me a lot of food for thought
      thanks again