Who is our oldest PokerStrategist?

• Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey guys,

There is so much talk in poker today about the aggressive "young turks" who are barely out of school, yet they crush the biggest games.

But what about our more senior players. Can the older more experienced players cut it with the young crushers who seemingly have unlimited testosterone to 3B, 4B and 5B relentlessly.

I am a great fan of Tuff Fishs' videos. He had turned $500 into 15k playing at Party in 2005 and made the fateful decision that he would start making videos for CardRunners. From that moment his world came crashing down. He went on a sick downswing. The UIGEA was passed and Party pulled out of the US. He was about 58 at the time. Sadly he passed away in 2010.

And of course one of my fave videos is 96 year old Jack Ury slowrolling some young punk at the WSOP

For the record I'm 52. So come on oldies be proud. How old are you and what do you think you have over the young turks?
  • 77 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Age + treachery > youth + skill :coolface:

I love the Jack Ury clip for a lot of reasons.

First of all, he does a marvelous job of playing the confused old fart.
      But the thing I like most is the big grin on Friedlander's face.

I used to hate getting old.
      However when I reached 61 this year, I realized that -- so far at least -- getting older beats all known alternatives.

When my mum retired she refused the senior's discount on the grounds that she didn't need it, and she wasn't old.

I rather enjoy getting 10% off of stuff!
      (all the more since I won't really qualify for 4 years)

Cheers,
      --VS
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze

Tuff Fish is dead?

VorpalF2F is 61?

This thread is mindblowing.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze

Tuff Fish is dead?

VorpalF2F is 61?

This thread is mindblowing.

I'm probably not quite old enough to post in this thread though so I'll just go now :f_cool:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by MJPerry
      VorpalF2F is 61?
      "The older I get, the better I used to be"

Who but an old fart can close a post "Peace"

Peace,
      --VS
    • ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      I second that cheer for the clip! I think I may have found one of my new poker heroes in Jack Ury!

Even if normally I would frown at such outrageous slowrolling, in this case it is a joy to make a happy exception. Especially considering as Vorpal says, Friedlander's face :s_cool:

I'm 42 which means - as in most things I find in life now - I'm too old to be young and too young to be old...

Which I guess is why they call it middle aged :f_confused:

But it's great to hear a shout out for all the poker playing foxes out there giving the young 'uns a run for their money!

And it's a good moment to fondly remember - and say a virtual Hail Mary - for dear old Lou Krieger of blessed poker memory. A real gentleman and total class act. A real ambassador for the game who is still very much missed.

Charlie
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      so many questions guys

Do you miss your own teeth?
      Does your head start spinning when you open more than 1 table?
      How many times do your grandchildren have come over to help you with your computers per day?
      Do you miss transportation by horse carriages and petrol lamps for light?

:f_love:
    • NijeVaznoKoSam
      NijeVaznoKoSam
      Bronze
      omg... those tuff_fish clips made me so confused.... i don't know if i should lough or cry or swear with him together...

but even then... your ages seem unreachable for now :D

NVKS
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by LemOn36
      so many questions guys

Do you miss your own teeth?
      Does your head start spinning when you open more than 1 table?
      How many times do your grandchildren have come over to help you with your computers per day?
      Do you miss transportation by horse carriages and petrol lamps for light?

:f_love:
        All my own teeth -- all in good shape.
        Quality > quantity, so max 2 zoom 8 otherwise, and max 2 5-Card Draw so I can take notes.
        Other way around. I've been working with computers since they used to occupy entire rooms. My first programs were written in FORTRAN using punch cards. I still write software.
        No, but I miss being able to repair anything on a car with simple hand tools.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Still waiting for more. I know you are out there.

• gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Well I'm certainly not the oldest, but I have booked my carbon dating appointment for this month; I'll be 59.

Mrsgadget on the other hand, reckons I'm about 14. :f_confused:

As for competing with the young bloods, I think I mentioned somewhere that the only thing I can do quicker than them is slow down.
      I get tired just reading the word Zoom.

It's all so bloody easy for you youngsters, ipod/tablet/laptop type hi-tech thingies to play when you're out and about; try balancing a monitor and keyboard on a zimmer frame on a Saturday afternoon in a Walmart queue and typing 'Fold to any' in Turbo Pascal ffs! :f_mad:

I can still learn just as well as I always have, just not as quick - and only if there is a toilet nearby...
      ...and if I learn 5 things today and by tomorrow I forgot not only 3 things, but why I wanted to learn them in the first bloody place.

Sometimes of course, I just forget what I was talking abo...

...can anyone else smell wee?...
    • MJPerry
      MJPerry
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by MJPerry
      VorpalF2F is 61?
      "The older I get, the better I used to be"

Who but an old fart can close a post "Peace"

Peace,
      --VS
      Yeah now I know it makes all kinds of sense ;)

No one under the age of 55 would be playing regular 5-Card Draw :s_cool:
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      Wait are all old guys moderators here?
      I smell conspiracy :f_confused:

p.s. i thought i was old being 36 so this thread makes me happy, keep the thread going our dear veterans :f_love:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      When they said "The Meek shall inherit the Earth", nobody realised they were talking about geriatric moderators. :coolface:
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Next stop ... the Olympics. Inspirational :tongue:

• ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      Next stop ... the Olympics. Inspirational tongue out

And don't forget 95 year old javelin throwers! :s_thumbsup:
    • ClerkenwellBoi
      ClerkenwellBoi
      Bronze
      I just noticed that there's an 'inspirational tongue out' in the quote box above.

Wow, that's what I need more of in my life.... inspirational tongues out :D
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      Tuff_Fish. :f_love:
      Those were the ~first poker related videos i ever watched and i was hooked immediately. :D
      Pure gold..

Oldest Pokerstrategist? I don't know, but there are one Finnish member who (i believe) is 66 years young now.
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Originally posted by Gerovit
      Wait are all old guys moderators here?
      I smell conspiracy :f_confused:
      TheMarxBros3 is 60 but not a mod; I have no idea why he hasn't blessed the thread with his presence yet - he's updating his blog regularly :f_confused:

Oh, and I'm missing those good old days when Party's soft had that yellow arrow pointing whose turn it was. It's sad that I didn't take part in the juicy real-money action then.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      TheMarxBros3 is one of two guys I know for sure who are older than my sprightly 52. The other one is in my 45 man skype group so I may have to point him here.

@Gerovit. You can rest easy. We have run out of old moderators (at least in the English community).