Moved to live in Finland (questions)

• Saviorsorrow
      Saviorsorrow
      Bronze
      Hey,
      I moved to live in Finland this year and I have some questions.

1. Is there any tax on winnings? Maybe you could give me link on the law.
      2. I have unemployment benefits now. Will I lose it, if I cashout my winnings to finnish bank account?

Thank you.
  • 16 replies
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saviorsorrow
      Hey,
      I moved to live in Finland this year and I have some questions.

1. Is there any tax on winnings? Maybe you could give me link on the law.
      2. I have unemployment benefits now. Will I lose it, if I cashout my winnings to finnish bank account?

Thank you.
      Hi Saviorsorrow and welcome to Finnish Corner! :)

Good questions. Maybe this will help you atleast a little.

1) We don`t pay taxes from ETA-site winnings or winnings from livepoker in ETA-countries, but in the end the possible taxes depends about your local tax office. Do you play professionally? If you do, maybe we can find out someone who play professionally too and can tell you more about this.

2) So I guess you are not playing professionally because you ask this? If you cashout a big amounts they may call from the bank and ask where the money is come from. But I don`t see how it could affect to your unemployment benefits if you cashout every now and then and the amounts are not huge.

Feel free you ask more if you have something to ask about. :)

Btw. where in Finland you live?
    • Saviorsorrow
      Saviorsorrow
      Bronze
      Thank you!

I want to play professionally but atm I am playing NL30, going to play NL50. Was playing NL100 CAP also. So, I can win some amount of money but it isn't enough for living in Finland. But winnings + unemployment benefit would be fine. I have benefits while I'll be studying finnish. So I have about 1 year to become professional :s_cool:

Just I don't know what amount won't affect to my benefits. Should I ask about it in KELA?

I'm living in Helsinki.
    • skeida
      skeida
      Bronze
      Hey man,

to me it seems pretty unlikely you will get the unemployment benefits if u have no proof that u r seeking a job constantly. But i can be wrong.
      Also an interesting move to move over here and play NL50, but i wish u luck:)
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by skeida
      Hey man,

to me it seems pretty unlikely you will get the unemployment benefits if u have no proof that u r seeking a job constantly. But i can be wrong.
      Also an interesting move to move over here and play NL50, but i wish u luck:)
      I have some knowledge on my own about unemployment and benefits. In my opinion, they don`t nowdays supervise so closely if you are seeking job or not. And that is because the unemployment services has been targeted to biggest offices. But I don`t know how the things are in Helsinki.
    • Saviorsorrow
      Saviorsorrow
      Bronze
      Actually I have "adaptation" benefit. Adaptation period is 3 years long. My "job" for next 1 year will be learning finnish. So I don't have to be seeking any job.

Also an interesting move to move over here and play NL50, but i wish u luck
      Thank you! I can find job, but it is pretty hard w/o language. I moved here only because I really like your country (people, nature etc.) ;)

So, I have time to try to become a poker professional. ;)
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey, hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions out of curiosity? :)

Which country did you move from?

How much per month does it cost to live there?

How much benefits are you getting? Can anyone moving there get the same?)

Is the language hard to learn?
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ThatGuyMatt
      This! :f_biggrin:
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NutzAreOk
      Originally posted by ThatGuyMatt
      This! :f_biggrin:
      I've heard that finnish is the worlds second hardest language, right after japanese. :D
    • Saviorsorrow
      Saviorsorrow
      Bronze
      1) I came from Russia; (I know that many people here don't like russians. I also had some problems with that while moving here. But I can understand those people: russians is one of the reasons I left Russia, lol :)
      2+3) Me and my wife moved here as "inkeri". 889e - rent a flat (we receive 809e benefit for it) + 2x522e - unemployment benefit + 2x200e - for finnish courses. It's enough.
      4) I am still waiting for my finnish courses, but it is not seem to be difficult. Btw, courses are 5 hours per day.
    • HuhtalaJ
      HuhtalaJ
      Bronze
      Welcome to Finland and in the Finnish corner. Being active here can greatly benefit your Finnish studies ;)

As for the taxes, I'd want to clear out just what Nutz said: you won't have to pay taxes for winnings from the European Economic Area (EEA) but other winnings should get taxed. In live poker it's pretty clear cut whether the game was within EEA or not but online it's a bit different. What everyone usually tells to look for is the country where the poker room has its license but in the end it's the tax office that decides which factor determines it (license, headquarters etc). Generally poker sites like PokerStars.eu, William Hill and other Malta/Gibraltar licensed rooms are considered tax free by players, but remember that the tax office is the one that gives the last word for it.

Lastly, I have to remind that PokerStrategy.com, its staff and freelancers can not be held as "accurate and legit tax advisors" :P
    • NutzAreOk
      NutzAreOk
      Bronze
      Thx for clearing me out Janne. :)
    • Shevtshenko
      Shevtshenko
      Bronze
      No taxes on majority of the sites. Basically all sites that aren't shady and/or don't allow US players, are good to go as tax-free sites. Afaik, amount of money in your bank account is a factor for the unemployment benefit. That said, never applied for it, so have zero idea how big of a factor it would be.
    • Saviorsorrow
      Saviorsorrow
      Bronze
      Thank you for your answers!:)

Btw, I've found information in KELA that I should tell them if my income will be more than 300€/kk.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Finland sure is not the easiest country for being poker professional as living expences are much higher than in many other. E.g. some mid european ones. Might become problem if it's main income for your family before you have got into good enough level. But on other hand technical side is in good shape. Internet connections or electricity cuts should rarely be concerns.

I think KELA will follow pretty closely what sort of moneys move in your account. At least when I have given loan to some people getting benefits from there they have always wanted it in cash.

Tax side should be pretty safe when playing in eta sites as many have already commented.

Good luck for your studies. Btw if I may ask do you have education for some profession already? Probably hard to find job without one and at current times might be challenge anyway.
    • Hazardi90
      Hazardi90
      Bronze
      if u play on pokerstars i recommend higly getting a skrill card, and making all withrawals to it
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      If you get supplementary benefits (income support) from KELA, they will check your bank accounts. If you get unemployment benefits they are interested only in income from work.

Of course if they start to complain about gambling winnings and how they might affect your benefits, Skrill card is one possibility. Of course that is sort of illegal then too.