Charity posts not allowed!? - Is this our Community?

• Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      Hello pokerstrategy community!
      Thread that opened one of my fellow countrymen regarding floods in Serbia and Bosnia got closed because, apparently, it's forbidden to advertise charity!?
      As i understand that it can be misused in some cases, there should be a way to mobilize community through ps forums.
      Once, this community was real community, where people helped others in so many ways, not just affiliate site with only profit as bottom line.
      That's the community that we need and miss. Especially in community such as ours where professional poker players are generally not accepted amongst genpop and thus we tend to stick together more than some other communities.
      I want you all to raise your voices and lets make pokerstrategy assign one mod to posts/threads that would be for charity, who would check is the cause legit, especially if some country or specific group of people is struck with horrific disasters.
      This is our community lets not make it corporate/marketing/profit purposes only.
      If that's the intend than let us know loud and clear we might want to choose other forums to be our home!
      All plus 1 for the cause!

EDIT: And NO mods we don't understand and wont accept it!
  • 8 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey Gerovit,

I cannot comment on this as it is not my decision.

I will ask the powers that be to come and make a statement. I hope you can understand and appreciate this.

Regards,
      Gary
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      Hey Gary,

thanks for stopping by.
      I know that it isn't your decision, however i'm sure that you personally would be in favor of charity posts, even though it would require extra work from your team.
      Just let our voice be heard (and yours whatever stance it is on)

Regards,

Milan.
    • acerbikas
      acerbikas
      Bronze
      I think there is a fine line between genuine charities and frauds, phishing and such cases as is currently in your case may be used for various malevolent reasons. Since generally communities abide the rules that you cannot advertise such things, I presume this is the stance the higher-ups take. At least I remember having taken up such a stance back in one of my forums back in the day.
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hi Gerovit,

thanks for raising this subject, I understand that the topic of floods in Serbia and Bosnia is close to a lot of our members. I also perfectly understand that you want to support the cause. Let me briefly explain the main reasons why the previous thread was closed.

As a company - generally we do not support charities. This is not related to us being indifferent to the human tragedies. We are a poker-related forum/community, by allowing charity annoucements or money-raising, we'd be facing a big number of requests related to all sorts of charity events (which is not what we'd want). As you might be probably aware, among genuine campaigns, there is also a big number of scammers who would want to take advantage of the situation.
      As a community - we aim to minimize these risks by not allowing charity annoucements. We also don't have the resources or time to verify if the offer is real or a scam.

In this case, however, we are willing to make an exception.

As already said, the floods affected (directly or indirectly) our members and you feel strong about supporting the cause. We will re-open the thread so you can participate in the discussion but please understand that we (as PokerStrategy.com) will not be able to promote it.

Thanks for your understanding.
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      Happy to hear you guys made an exception in this case.

Situation is really bad and requires immediate action. It will last for long time because once all flooding is done with, those families and people will have to live somewhere and eat. Not to mention that already 2 cities are totally destroyed and there is dead bodies in the waters still.

Thank you for understanding and hope you can find a way to support it also (or even open Serbian part for PokerStrategy for such a thing).
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      Hello Marta,

i appreciate your quick response and understanding in this matter and i'm grateful that you made an exception for genuine cause.
      I do, however, think that you, as a company, should reconsider general politics regarding charities, or at least make ad-hoc exceptions such as this.

Once again thank you very much for quick response and making an exception that can genuinely help save lives.

Regards,

Milan.
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      You're welcome guys. Hope that with help from people such yourselves, those who suffered because of the floods, will get through this quicker. Such things are hard to understand or accept. Good luck!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      All is well that ends well :)

Thank you for invoking such community spirit in times of distress for our fallen brothers and sisters, Milan.

Well done :)