Low Stakes Heads Up Hyperz

• shAdOwArt
      shAdOwArt
      Bronze
      I'm a 24 years old computer science student from Sweden. I love strategy games and I've been among Europe's best in both StarCraft I & II and I'm pretty good at DotA too.

I originally started playing poker back in 2011. I began with $50 at Full Tillt and miraculously decided to cash out and move to Pokerstars one week before Black Friday. It was a small roll, but I would probably have quit if I had lost it.

After about a month I found Hu SNGs and started winning for the first time. I used to study poker about three times as much as I played it, and I only one tabled so my volume always sucked badly - but I had a really nice ROI.

I played for roughly 6 months before I started university and quit to focus on my studies. However, I ended up playing mostly DotA instead. I kinda regret quitting since I was beating the $30 turbos really hard and probably could have made quite a lot of money if I had kept playing.

Now its time for a comeback, this time at the hypers since it seems like that's where the action is.

I've played for 2 weeks now. As can be seen my graph, I initially had quite a rough time. It wasn't a bad beat, I just played badly. I had an idea of how I used to play but I had forgotten most of the details. And its the details that make you profitable.

EDIT: Appears that the showdown/non-showdown line behave in a wierd way if you're filtering for real $ so here's a new one with chips.

The $3.5s were pretty easy to beat, but at the $7s the fish are much more aggressive. Not good aggressive, spewy aggressive, but I didn't adjust accordingly and initially had a hard time with them when the stacks were ~8-14bb deep. I had to do a lot of maths to adjust my pre-flop ranges but now I'm pretty comfortable.

Here are some things I've done to catch up and improve my game:
      • Videos. I think these are a great starting point when pretty much everything about your game is off and I happened to have a few lying around on my HDD since 2011. There's also a lot of free videos on the net nowadays.
      • Maths. End game is a lot about estimating ranges and maths. I used to do this with Equilab and Excel but found a program called ICMIZER that speeds up these calculations a lot so I purchased it.
      • Reading hand evaluations. Only other peoples hands though. I had sorta forgotten that you could mark hands while playing but now that I remembered it I'm going to post some of my own in the future.
      • Gone through my database to analyze population tendencies. I think my sample is too small to have much use of this though, so it was mostly learning how to do it for the future.
      • Saw a video of a guy playing with a really advanced HUD that displayed villain's frequencies for different stack depths. I found it only but it cost $100 and was a bit over the top with the stats as well so I decided to write my own instead. Custom statistics was a bit tricky but I'm pleased with the result.

As for the future I think I'm best of mostly grinding to build up my roll and produce hands that I can review. If any heads up hyper player is interested in exchanging and reviewing each other's hand histories I'm game.

A short term goals for the future is to get my roll up to $750 and then start taking shots at the $15 games. I don't know if there are any regs at the $15 games, if so I'm gonna have to work a lot on that as my anti-reg game is pretty poor at the moment.
  • 4 replies
    • shAdOwArt
      shAdOwArt
      Bronze
      Results

Been running pretty good, the roll is up at $750 now so its time to start taking shots at the 15$ games.

The Mental Game

I've started reading Jared's book. It has helped me deal with variance, but the some of the tips also got me into a flow like state. This is great when sporting but you need to be more analytic when playing poker. I like to pretend I'm explaining my game to an imaginary student while I'm playing.

Adjustments

I've tightened up my out of position calling ranges a little, especially when the stacks are short. I think I was bleeding some money here. In position I've also started open shoving some hands instead of raise/folding them. Finally, I've started 3 bet bluffing a little looser. Previously I never did this this in the first blind level as I though the population was too tight and by the time I had enough data points to be willing to 3 bet bluff very little of the first blind level would remain, plus there's no guarantee that that the stacks are even anymore anyways. However, I think I judged the population to be too tight. I'm now NAI 3 betting some suited junk just outside of my calling range against players who open their first few buttons.

Software

I found a program called NoteTracker included in PT4 that automatically takes some notes which I'm at the moment taking manually. I've set up some filters for stuff I want recorded, mainly all-in ranges and donk bets, but I haven't really gotten it to work. Gotta read up some on this.

Reviews

I've committed myself to review a game a day, doing maths and range analysis's on all hands. So far I've kept up with it.

MTTs

I occasionally play some micro MTTs to keep myself at the computer for more husng grinding. I'm not very good at them though. I'm unsure if its worth investing time to improve. The articles here appear to be very old. Does anyone know how up to date they are? There is also a lot of videos but most of them focus on actual game play which I think is a really poor starting point.

As for the future, I have finals in 1-2 weeks time so I'm probably not going to spend much time on poker until the summer comes.
    • shAdOwArt
      shAdOwArt
      Bronze
      I made both quad Aces and a straight flush today :D Neither has ever happened to me before. I'm also up $210 on the $15 games. Today was a good day.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey shAdOwArt,

Nice. I hope you managed to get full value for them. It can be disappointing when you hit monsters like that and everyone folds.

Keep Crushing

Laz
    • shAdOwArt
      shAdOwArt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Lazza61
      Hey shAdOwArt,

Nice. I hope you managed to get full value for them. It can be disappointing when you hit monsters like that and everyone folds.

Keep Crushing

Laz
      Not much value sadly - villain had nothing good.

Today was a swingy day. Kept getting it in with dominated hands and got a lot of hands so bad I didn't even want to bluff with them. I'm up to 1000 games now and today was probably my last day of grinding in a while. The story so far:

The player pool at the $15 games are much smaller than at the $7 games. I'm now regularly running into the same people over and over again. 7% ROI definitely won't be maintainable here.

The guy I've played the most games against is some Chinese dude who's #1 on the $15 leader-boards this year. He has played 30k games already and hasn't moved up in stakes in 3 years so I assume he's playing for a living and has to withdraw a lot. He has pretty solid pre-flop ranges and has changed his game twice in response to me abusing him. Haven't been able to judge his post-flop much but I think he might be a bit fit/fold-ish. And he has the devil's luck when it comes to kickers. And he cracked my aces. Grrr...