Hey everyone

• aahitman
      aahitman
      Bronze
      Just passed the quiz, and been reading a lot of PokerStrategy articles.

I'm actually a newbie in Poker, since I've only played since September, and actually felt in love with this game, and since then it's my life... I've played for play money for about five hours a day, and actually invested a little (20$) on SNG... didn't work out as well as I hoped lol. Number one factor of loosing was not the bad play or whatever but bankroll management, starting going t 1$ buy-in, and on Tilt went to 5$ buy-in, lost three, and there goes my bankroll. So since then I've been studying poker, reading a lot of foruns and videos and even books, just finished Harrington on Hold'em (the three volumes)... AndI guess it help me a lot.

As a newbie I have a few key questions:

1 - How can we know wich game suits you? No-limit, Fixed Limit, Cap Limit, etc.

2 - How can we know wich game suits you? Cash games, Tournaments?

Well, which you all good luck in your poker carrers, as well as mine too :) and love the game, and will be here at the foruns for quite a while.

Bye
  • 4 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Welcome;)

Well i personally play now 9 months and still don't know which game suits to me. I play everything a bit.

Common suggestion here is that best for new players is to start with SSS(short stack strategy) to learn good TAG(tight aggressive) play. If you play it by the book you should make money and than after you have some roll(lets say 200$) is time probably to experiment. If you don't try you don't know right ;) Ofcourse experiment low limits and read some stuff before you do it.

Than most players play where they made most of money or they think they can make most of money;)

Good luck and enjoy,

slikec
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      Welcome here,

I hope You read BRM articles already ;)

To Your questions: Every player have to find his own way. You wrote that You played for playmoney a lot. SnG's only? Just try to play different games at the beginning and choose which You like. It takes me about a month before I choose my game.

Feel free to join coaching, watch videos, read articles and be active in forums. This will help You a lot in Your poker life :)

GL at the tables

edit: LOL, slikec was faster than me :D
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi aahitman,

Wise advice from established players already provided, can only second what they've already said.

Welcome to PokerStrategy though, keep re-reading the guides, try to log in to some live coaching sessions, ask whatever questions you have (we're all friendly here & there are a lot of highly skilled players around, more than willing to help us newbies!) & above all have fun!

Good luck

Bart.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Which game suits you? Whichever game you get the most enjoyment out of. As previously stated, starting with SSS (a no-limit cashgame strategy) will teach you discipline, patience etc which you need in other games as well so it is generally recommended as a starting point. It is also a good way of safely building your bankroll to a level where you can play other games within BRM.

Sounds like you have already begun studying a lot, remember to never stop trying to learn. It doesnt matter how good you get or how far you go in poker, you should never stop trying to improve.