Learn how to fold...

• piraya
      piraya
      Bronze
      Since Novemeber 1 I have played almost 4000 hands on NL10. I figured it is time to slow down a bit and study the hands I have played so far. To advance in my game I have set up a goal to study my game, read articles etc 1/3 of my "poker time". Sometimes I think that no money can be made by reading books or study previously played hands and therefore most of my time has been spent on the tables, playing. When I come to my senses I know that is wrong. Studying will improve my game and in long term I will generate alot more money.

After reviewing some of my hands I have found one big leak. I have a real hard time folding the worse hand even though I know I am beat.

Here is an example:

0,05/0,10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:club: , J:diamond:
      4 folds, Hero raises, BB calls.

Flop: (13,00 SB) 3:diamond: , J:heart: , 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: (12,50 BB) T:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.

Something went wrong in the hand convertion. Anyway, my preflop raise was 4x BB and post-flop raise was somewhere around half the pot. After the turn i was pretty sure i had the best hand and continued to fire. Little more than half the pot becuase of the flush and straight draws. He now made a huge re-raise and went All-in, I'm 99% sure I'm beat, no deck in the card can save me. Why can I not fold?

Still I have done pretty well so far this month, but If i could learn how to fold I would do alot better. I know there is alot of people out there with the same problem. How do you cope with it?
  • 6 replies
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      i also had this problem. Multitabling makes folding easier
    • piraya
      piraya
      Bronze
      I am multitabling. 6-8 tables. I think I have improved a little in the area of folding, but I have still alot to learn. Maybe it's just a matter of discipline. Atleast I am aware of my flaw, that is a good sign :) I hope it will improve in time. We will see.

I belive learning how to fold is one of the most important things in poker. You can not have the best hand all the time. I have been very bad at minimize my losses and that is where I need to get better.
    • 118Hither
      118Hither
      Bronze
      LOL, someone once said to me, while I was holding the nuts, "I wish you would learn to fold" as we entered the final table and me and him were stacked up big time and he was firing at a pot, not once, not twice but on the river where I did a cheeky check when out of position.

I said to him, "How do I fold?"

"Click the button that says FOLD you maniac", by the way, I had played 12% of hands throughout the whole tournament.

"I don't see that one, I do have one that says Raise"

"Fine you will lose", he said

With my raise of 3x's, he instantly goes all in and so the following came out, "Say bye before I press call"

I went on too dominate the tournament and won a whooping $52 with over 6000 players.

Never playing a stupid freeroll agin
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 118Hither
      LOL, someone once said to me, while I was holding the nuts, "I wish you would learn to fold" as we entered the final table and me and him were stacked up big time and he was firing at a pot, not once, not twice but on the river where I did a cheeky check when out of position.

"Click the button that says FOLD you maniac", by the way, I had played 12% of hands throughout the whole tournament.

With my raise of 3x's, he instantly goes all in and so the following came out, "Say bye before I press call"

I went on too dominate the tournament and won a whooping $52 with over 6000 players.

lol, freerolls are a waste of time
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fun101rockets
      Originally posted by 118Hither

lol, freerolls are a waste of time
      I think they can give you experience and patience if you are a beginner. =)
      After that, stay away from them.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by piraya
      I'm 99% sure I'm beat, no deck in the card can save me. Why can I not fold?

lol @ "no deck in the card".

Have a hand strength chart nearby on the wall (pair, 2pair, set, straight, flush, FH, etc), look at it and ask yourself if you want to go broke on just a pair.

Or you can look at the flop and think of the best possible hand possible, you will be surprised how many hands beat your TPMK.