How do I size my bets?

• ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I wanna know how to size my bets.

C-bets on flop, turn and river against 2, 3, 3+ opponents?

Limped pots, same questions.

Do I pot all rivers with very good hands or nuts? I've gotten to many folds there lately.

Thanks!
  • 4 replies
    • kevsaf
      kevsaf
      Bronze
      I would size my bets after who's calling, in or out of postion, what we hit, if the flop is wet or dry, how many bad or good turn and rivers.

Maybe I don't get what you're asking :P

River is hard,
      vs a passive fish I would almost always potbet or overbet,
      vs a aggressive fish I may check or bet very small to induce,
      vs a reg I make my sizing accordingly to what I represent,

Post some hands here, I would really like to discuss this!! :)

Edit: didn't see it was omaha, but I guess this apply to. This make me wanna discuss it even more :D
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      I give some examples:

1. Hands we bet/fold, bet/call or bet/raise: how much of the pot do we bet versus 1 opponent? Versus 2 opponents?

2. Hands we bet/call or bet/raise: how much of the pot versus 3 or more opponents?

Right now I'm varying between 1/2, 2/3 and pot which leave both me and my opponents very confused :f_biggrin:

Do we change sizing on certain boards? For example with top set on a drawy board.

I got another idea: if we bet 1/2 pot on the flop, it's cheaper to c-bet turn and or river in order to get rid of floaters. But I think this is worse than betting higher.
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      As default i choose my betsizes by the board texture. If the board is really dry, i bet smaller (1/2 pot or so) and when it's very wet, i bet bigger (2/3-full pot).
      Because i ~never bluff in multiway pots, i bet little bit bigger even on dry boards, because it's more likely that someone could actually have something. Agains two players it's very situational, but usually i don't change my betsized that much. Maybe default +1bb or something like that.

If i'm playing against calling station(s) i usually bet big because if they want to call, they'll call no matter how big i bet. And if they're folding, they're going to fold no matter what i bet. Unless it's something like 1-2bb.

Hand streght itself is actually not that important to me. Ofc if villain(s) don't pay attention then you can adjust your betsizes just by the strenght of your hand, but you have to be aware that even the biggest fishes will eventually pick that up. :D

In limped pots i usually bet little bit bigger because the pot is so small. Either you want to build the pot or create FE, those ~1bb bets just don't do the trick.

You also need to think the SPR. For example sometimes you have to bet bigger just to make sure that you'll get the money in, and sometimes you have to bet smaller if you want to save some nice "chunk" for river bluff or something like that.

Also sometimes you want to induce your opponent to do something silly and then really big/small bet in strange spot will work.

But yeah, even when you have made decision to bet there are many things to take into consideration. Imo the most important ones are:

-Board texture
      -Opponent(s)
      -SPR

Choosing proper betsize for river is more like art. :D

It just depends in so many things. Villains, previous actions, your hand, your image, villain's range, etc, etc so it's really hard to give any more specific instructions.

But since we are talking about value bet, i think that one of the most important things is villain's range. More narrower you can squeeze it, more suitable betsize you can choose.

Also imo more unlikely you hand is, more bigger you can bet.

Against calling stations and other players with high WTSD you ofc bet as big as you dare, but then there are rest of the field..

In exactly same spot some villain thinks that big bet otr is 100% bluff and small bet definitely for the value and some players thinks just opposite.

So probably the best advice i could give (with my very low understanding of this game) to you is "Know your opponent."
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for that detailed answer PerusJamppa!
      Gonna return to it until it sticks.