$10 deposit challenge

• Halfamp
      Halfamp
      Bronze
      Hi guys

Just signed up to take notes on a challenge I have set myself and to see what you all think of it. It's pretty ridiculous really but I have good reason for giving it a go.
      The plan is to deposit $10 (as I have withdrawn everything else) and build a bankroll from there.
      I have been playing poker for near enough 10 years recreationally online mostly and have got to a point where I would consider myself a pretty good sit and go/ tourney player but have never been disciplined enough to build a bankroll, mostly because I have needed to withdraw cash here and there.

Having just paid for my wedding this year and a baby on the way I can't justify to the wife spending too much on poker. Especially without some hard evidence on how I do it.

So I want to keep a log starting from the absolute minimum deposit to prove whether I am a successful poker player or not, working from the most extreme of bankrolls.

With my initial deposit I will be playing micro stake sit and gos ranging from 45 to 360 entrants. I won't be touching the tournaments till I reach my first goal of $100.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and would particularly love it if anyone fancies giving it a go with me to see how far we could take it.
      I am under now illusions that this is going to be a real slow burner, but think its a great way to prove to yourself and perhaps others that when it comes to poker, you know what your doing.

Thanks for taking time out to read,
      Even if there is no interest from others I will post updates.
  • 16 replies
    • MihaiMoigradan
      MihaiMoigradan
      Bronze
      Hello Halfamp,

I personally love these low bankroll challenges. Definitely gonna follow your posts.

I'm also playing with a $7.78 bankroll and I'm trying to reach the 7$ SNG limit. Playing $0.25 45s SNGs until $20 when I'll start to add the $0.50 180s Turbo ones.

-How many SNGs do you play/day?
      -Turbo/reg speed?
      -Are you playing the $0.10 360s ones? My advice would be: DON'T. Big waste of time and money.

Cheers, Mihai.
    • Halfamp
      Halfamp
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, looks like we are at roughly the same point.
      I was considering starting at the 50cent turbos, 45/90 players.
      As much as I hate these turbos variance, it will probably be the quickest way to build up to something more respectable. But you might be taking the right route in playing the lower levels, as I'm not giving myself much room for error.
      I can only really have a good session in the evenings due to work commitments , maybe run 4 multitabling as I find any more and u don't seem to play as well.
    • Halfamp
      Halfamp
      Bronze
      Played 10 tables last night 50 cent sit and go turbos ranging from 45 up to 360 players, found them to be a lot tougher than I remember.
      Playing a pretty standard aggressive strategy, but blinds just too fast to allow much skill. Having to rely on 50/50 shoves to pay off most of the time.
      Ended up down around $7 so thinking of changing strategy to the only other viable option of the .25 cent sit n Gos as mentioned above.
      Feeling positive that I can get results in these but what a grind it's gonna be.
    • MihaiMoigradan
      MihaiMoigradan
      Bronze
      The .25 SNGs are good to start. They last around 2h20m if you get to win one.

I have 60% ROI on a sample of 40 SNGs.

Best of luck, Mihai.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there Halfamp,

Seems a like a tough challenge, doable as they say, but tough just the same.
      I have done a few bankroll building challenges myself and they are definitely harder than they used to be.

Wishing you lots of rungood and playgood and I hope you make it work, that would be awesome!

Mal.
    • Halfamp
      Halfamp
      Bronze
      Down again last night, played 8 .25 sngs and couple of .55 mtt with 500 cap.
      Only cashed in one of the tourneys. Down to $5.99.
      Feel as though I started the session playing to fast since having played turbos recently. Think if I slow it down a little an pick my spots that .25 will work out
    • MihaiMoigradan
      MihaiMoigradan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Halfamp
      I won't be touching the tournaments till I reach my first goal of $100.
      Stick to the plan, mate.
    • Halfamp
      Halfamp
      Bronze
      Very good point, cheers
    • Halfamp
      Halfamp
      Bronze
      I decided to play one table today to get back to basics and ended up winning the 90 player sit n go.
      Much to be said about focusing on the one table. Ended up a pretty easy win, was never really in much trouble. Strange how sometimes everything clicks into place.
      If only I could emulate this when multitabling.
      So this puts me over the initial deposit finally.
      $11.52
    • martinemem
      martinemem
      Bronze
      If you like constructive criticism, i think your brm is a bit agr. Actually waaay off.

But then again, when i play theese turbo 180m sngs, i open 24 tables. And my roi has suffered from my last session. First 3 sessions was a 1st place in each.

This is 4 sessions, so around 8 hours, and as you can see, you wont be able to sustain your bankroll, if you go for so few bi.

^This is btw a mixture of 0.5 and 2.5 180m. Around 25% 0.5$ to start up tables a little faster. And last session wasnt really that bad, since i got 1st place in the cheap 0.5$ and coolers as chipleader in the other 2.5$ When 5 left. 3rd and 4th place i got i think.

But i can promise you, you wont even notice a difference when you get up to 2.5$ 180m turbos.

Why take an agr approach if you really wanna take a serious shot at this? Dont think: "Its only 10$", but think instead: "This is my chance to show my wife i dont need to desposit again"

If you want, add me in the community tool.

Last 2 cents. The money is in spew. Since ppl are nits when you get to the last 2 tables in the 180m. So dont care about if you make it to final table or not, this will cause higher swings, and larger roi. Which is why i once again recommend more bi for theese.

Why not swing the 10$ up to 50$ on the nl2 tables instead? Then you have an somewhat fine br for the 0.5$ 180m turbos. The larger field, the larger roi. Till some extend ofc. Since imma newb in 180+ mtts :D
    • Halfamp
      Halfamp
      Bronze
      Thanks for the feedback, very grateful to hear opinions especially being new to these forums.
      For the time being I will stick with the .25 slower sngs, as I just feel a whole lot more comfortable playing them. I know my bankroll is slightly off and the .50 was killing it quickly, so happy to move down.
      After all the slower the game the more skill required to beat them. And at this level I can play my standard approach and get paid off.

Regarding your comment below:

Why take an agr approach if you really wanna take a serious shot at this?

I'm really talking about playing the turbos aggressively, pushing hard on position, but at this level nobody seems to wanna get the message and move out the way. Which has led me to the thinking that because players are often overly aggressive in the micro turbos the best approach may be to hang back and play tight agg. If I do this though I find that before long if you don't get the cards you are in push fold mode before long. Just find it hard to establish a balance in those games.

I've played a fair amount of micro turbos, mostly for convenience (time factor mainly). But as I am taking this challenge seriously I have to go with what I hope can bring results and improve on my game as I gradually move up.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Halfamp,

It is best to play the regular speed micro 45 and 90 manners very tight early. Even CollinMoshman recommends KK+ and occasionally QQ in the early stages.

The reasons for this are explained in the lessons here. If you have already read up on the information covered in lessons 1-4 of Chip Values then great. But if you haven't then please do.

As you rise through the limits you will encounter more and more villains playing rock tight until push/fold and then using their knowledge of Nash push/fold ranges and or ICM to ensure they get their share of the prizepool.

Most of what I've said is relevant to 45 manners as that is my favoured game type.

Good Luck

Laz
    • martinemem
      martinemem
      Bronze
      I've played the 45m non turbo aswell. Better roi, worse hourly. Im really just giving you my experience on what i feel is more softer.

I've seen regs on finaltables raise folding with a stack of 44k chips when blinds are 3k/6k

If the 0.5$ 45m hasnt changed much since i played them, which i dont think they have, you should look out for spots where you can raise any2 in bu and co when blinds are around 100/200 and you have around 3.5k+ chips.

GL :)
    • Halfamp
      Halfamp
      Bronze
      Hi guys and girls,

Few days off the poker recently, spent some time with my lady. She's off out to her hen night tonight so I will be opening up some 25 cent 90 player tables and having a good go of it tonight. I did say it would be the slowest challenge in history...

Keep you posted on results later.
    • Marta
      Marta
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Halfamp
      Keep you posted on results later.
      Hope the challenge is still running? :s_rolleyes:
    • MihaiMoigradan
      MihaiMoigradan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Marta