ITM to WINNING

• billnmex
      billnmex
      Bronze
      New to the site and first post. I am currently playing on Poker Stars and mainly in the $0.27 and $0.55 games. My problem is not getting to the position to cash in but it is usually bottom 25 percent so I am getting my buy in back and another 2 to ten cents. I have managed to get up to about $53 dollars. I play really tight to the point that I know I will cash in but although I get ITM I am short stacked so have only broke into the top 50 twice. I am having a hard time getting ranges on players early on. It seems that later in the tournament I can get a range on a player and go from there but at the beggining more than half the players are are betting with anything from a 4 7 off suit up and I do not know the best way to go against them. I have ended up about ten hands in with pocket jacks ( i am on the button or the blinds) everyone has folded but one or two players that have been big betting with junk who go all in so I call and this time they have pocket aces or kings. I am not bitching about bad beats just frustrated on how to play early and build up enough of a stack to have a chance to make a run at the end. SORRY FOR RAMBLING BUT I AM FRUSTRATED:::THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INPUT
  • 6 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there billnmex and welcome to the community here!

This is a very common thing to happen and I suspect it's because you aren't sure how to take advantage of the middle part of the game?
      There is a solution to that! May I suggest you attend the coaching with our tournament coach Asaban? It's for free but if you can't attend on the day and time the lessons are put out as videos a few days later, so you can catch up.

Here is the link:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/

There will be a session today at the stated time, perhaps we will see you there?

I hope that helps, meanwhile, have fun,

Mal.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Welcome Billnmex,

it is very frustrating when you first play MTTs, especially as the forums generally recommend that you play tight...

The issue can be that other players recognise your style and only play against you when they have the nuts....

I had the same issues when I first played, but after coaching (which I highly recommend) I loosened up my ranges, especially early on - much easier to play tight (or loose) when you have won some major pots early on with sneaky hands like 78s.....

Also use one of the ICM tools, you may be not calling shoves well enough when you are ITM

And finally, again through coaching (and experience), you need to change your mindset, ITM and getting your stake plus a little bit back is pants, IMHO you may as well go out early... go for the win or at least top 3...

Cheers and Good Luck at the tables

Jass
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Gold
      there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing tight, especially if you are inexperienced. its not the most profitable style but it works. the tournies you are entering are ideal for this style in my opinion. you always have a chance to get lucky later on, if you make it that far.

how many games have you played? if it's not that many, variance will be the major factor in determining your results. although tight play is generally less influenced by variance.
    • billnmex
      billnmex
      Bronze
      THANKS FOR THE INPUT. I will check out the ICM tool you recommended as well as the coaching. In regard to the coaching any recommendations on wich ones to start with? THANKS AGAIN
    • billnmex
      billnmex
      Bronze
      THANKS GADGET51 AND badgerer FOR THE INPUT. APPRECIATE ALL YOUR TIPS AND FEEDBACK. SORRY TOOK A FEW DAYS TO THANK YOU
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi again billnmex :)

Now, it seems you need to be silver or above status to attend the Asaban course which is a shame for you. I suggest you get to silver and register for it as soon as you can, if you can; highly recommended! :s_cool:

You can either get silver status by earning Pokerstrategy points at your tracked poker account, or if you prefer, you may buy the required status from our shop. Click the Buy Status tab at the top right of the main page or click here.

Ok, so in a more positive mood, the ICM tools can be found by clicking here.

Some are subscription based but you will find the ICM tools right at the bottom of the page and they are free to download.

I hope that helped a little and I must apologise for the mix-up regarding the coaching attendance required status.

Best regards and have fun,

Mal.