Bankroll Question

• 118Hither
      118Hither
      Bronze
      Hi Guys

Need your opinions please!!

I just watched a coaching session for SNG players and the coaches say we should move up level when we have 75 buy-ins but yet on the strategy the move up limit is written as 30 buy-ins.

After a downswing today, for which I did recover, thank god, I am wondering what everyone else thinks!!!

I moved up to $2 when I reached $78 and then to $5 when I got to $165 and so far its worked, should I go back to $2 and wait till I get to $350 before moving to $5?
  • 9 replies
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Are you sure he was talking about the really small limits and not the high ones? I can't answer your question though I don't play SNGs :) but usually the coaches recommend bigger bankrolls on bigger limits (for all games).
    • 118Hither
      118Hither
      Bronze
      I did ask him about the amount I have accrued and he said $5 is too high for my account.

I currently have $175 and he clearly said its too high.

If this is the case then shouldn't we be teaching this in the strategy?
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi 118Hitler,

The article states 30, as thats a good amount for bank roll building (as long as you move down limits when necessary). 30 is a safe amount of buyins, and is fine for lower limits.

The coaches and higher limit players prefer to have a bigger amount. This is due to the fact, their lively hood is often at stake (IE. its their job), and they don't want to move down limits, as they depend on the money.

I myself use a 70 buyin limit, but only implemented this rule when I reached the $33's.

Regards,
      Stiev
    • 118Hither
      118Hither
      Bronze
      Ok that makes a little sense, but at the end of the day I too am trying to make this my livelihood.

Recently I was made redundant and with the recent so-called Credit Crunch finding a job isn't easy unless I move down the limits in pay.

So as a suggestion and maybe a further article within the strategy, looking at advancement in bankrolls maybe something to be considered.

About 12 months ago, I took $100 to $3000 on PokerStars and in my naivety of thinking I am a good player I was working on a 20 buy-in structure, guess what? I crashed big!!!

Today I played 42 tournys, I was down 15 buy-ins and began to get nervous but kept my composure, played the strategy and recovered to be only 1 buyin down but it only takes one or 2 cards to go against us, or a loose idiot calling out of value chases and hitting and that 15 down could have been 30 and bank blown.

I am sure PokerStrategy has researched this 30 buyin but perhaps strict warnings on 30 being a small risk should be noted
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi 118Hitler,

Thankyou for the feedback, I will bring it to the admins attention.

I think the reason its not mentioned, is that people with the intention of playing for a living and higher limit players, will usually already know this. I guess your right though, and it should be implemented in the article imo.

If you are intending to play for a living, i'd still suggest a 30 buyin rule for your limit. Each limit you move up you should add more buyins. Until you too have a 70-100 buyin rule. Using a 70-100 buyin rule on your limits is far from necessary, and would take you alot of time to move up the limits (and also cash out along the way).

These are only my views, but are took from my experiance's.

Best of luck!
      Stiev
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      i have a 100 BI minimum rule for my BRM (SnGs). I realized that downswings can be>15 BI and I don't want to move down a limit.
    • jakedamansnake
      jakedamansnake
      Bronze
      its just important to be sure your able to force yourself to move down in limits. Your amount is fine, but with a smaller bankroll on a limit it is essential to restrict yourself should things go wrong.
    • 118Hither
      118Hither
      Bronze
      Good Morning Guys

Just woke up to a crappy looking morning here in London

Thanks for your comments so today I am going to re-evaluate my strategy and i'll post those targets to both here and on the blog forum thread.

Have a rough idea of how I am going achieve those by adjusting my buy-in rules but give me a few hours and it will be done.

I'd like to get your feedback on those targets!!!
    • 118Hither
      118Hither
      Bronze
      My Revised Bankroll Management <---- Click here lol