This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Rake in STT's

• vaulsc
      vaulsc
      Bronze
      Hi Guys,

I play $3.50 9man STT's on Pokerstars. I recently set myself a goal of grinding through at least 500 games before I take my results too seriously. Financially, bankroll is not a big issue to me. I am making a profit from playing unraked poker in live homegames and bars, for hundreds of dollars, whereas I play the micros online for training purposes. Having said that I do want to move up in the stakes.

But let's talk about rake.

$3.50 (9man) on PS = $3.16 + $0.34
      $7 STT (9man) on PS = $6.45 + $0.55
      $15 STT (9man) on PS = $13.89 + $1.11

Math isn't my strong point, so correct me if i'm wrong, but you'd divide the rake by the total buyin to get a %, so 0.34/3.50x100% = 9.7%. For $7 it's %7.9 and $15 is %7.4.

My plan is to grind $3.50 for so long that I can identify a winning trend and build up enough of a bankroll that I can move up to one of these higher stakes. But choice of stake is a bankroll issue first, and table selection issue second. If I knew that I was beating $7, wouldn't it make more sense to deposit 100BI's or more and grind those instead so as to pay less rake?

I welcome any ideas that would help me figure out whether moving up a stake would be enough of an ROI drop to render the Rake drop worthwhile.
  • 1 reply
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, vaulsc...

Tough call without a lot more info.

500 games is REALLY a small sample for knowing how well you're doing.

If you're profitable at $3.50, grind until you have some pre-determined number of $7.00 buy-ins. Then take a shot until you've lost 10% of that number (or whatever %) or won enough to take a shot at the next one up.

I matters very little what the rake is, if you're losing overall.

So if you decide you need a 50 BI bankroll for the 3.50s, then you grind until you have a 50 BI roll for the 7s. Play 7s until you're back to 45 BIs at $7, then build it back up and so-on.

Don't worry about the rake -- concentrate on winning the hands, one at a time.
      Let me correct that: Concentrate on making the best play, one hand at a time.

Peace,
      --VS