Cash games - all-in then leave table?

• jalthi
      jalthi
      Basic
      Hello all,

This is my first post and I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I'm curious about something I saw while playing today.

Situation: I was playing Bovada cash games (micros, 0.02/0.05 NL) and had some guy today buy-in, then raise all-in his first hand (he bought in for $2.50) from the BB (1 limper + SB call). Being an unknown quantity, the limper and SB folded to him. The BB collected his meager pot then left the table immediately.

Some issues of note are that Bovada is anonymous (you can't tell if it's someone who habitually does this) and that obviously this, even if profitable, is simply not worth it in games of this stake.

My question to more experienced players is this: is this something that could actually work given the anonymity of Bovada? By extension let's say that someone makes a big raise for the villains first hand and he decides to wait until his second hand to attempt his douche-baggery. Could this be profitable? Also, what can I do to protect against this if I'm the limper or even small raiser who he decides to attempt his bs on?

Any insight on this is appreciated.
  • 4 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      get AA stack him

theres really not much you can do, he will just win the pot pretty often, but when he loses then he loses a lot. i guess that with no further assumptions i'd call like close to top 5% which is something like 99+,AJs+,AQo+
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey jalthi,

Couldn't agree more with what Tomaloc said. There's not a whole lot you can do about this except wait for a good hand and then call him off. I also highly doubt that this will be profitable for him.

Also, what can I do to protect against this if I'm the limper or even small raiser who he decides to attempt his bs on?
      Nothing. First of all, don't be the limper. You don't want to be open-limping. And if you raise and he shoves for 50bb, then that's fine. You can just fold, lose the 2-3bb and then move on and simply call with a tight range.

If you see this happen a lot, then try to pay close attention and see if the guys that do this ever get to showdown and see what they show up with. If they do it with crap like 62o, then of course it becomes a lot easier to play back at them :)

Regards,
      Tino
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by jalthi
      Hello all,

This is my first post and I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I'm curious about something I saw while playing today.

Hi jalthi,
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com forums!

I don't think that you can really defend against something like this on anonymous tables.
      He is doing that himself.

I'm assuming that he is short stacked.

Let's say he buys in for 40 BB.

In order for his technique to be profitable, he must succeed 40 times in a row to make one buy-in. Unlikely. When he loses, he loses his 40 BB

There are a lot of open-shovers at play-money tables. I've called them before with QQ+ and sometimes AK+ and it is amazing what crap they show up with.

Still not worth calling them unless you have the goods.

How do you like the anon tables?

All the best,
      --VS
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      the grimming in HU must be painful there