[Promotion] Guess the hands and win $50!

• JoshLogan

Find yourself calling out opponent's hands during a session? Think your hand reading skills are worthy of envy? Well now's the time to prove it!

Over the course of two weeks from Monday, June 09 to Sunday, June 22, we'll be posting three hands a week (on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, each in a separate thread) for you to try and dissect.

Simply hazard a guess at what you think both the Hero and Villian in our example hands are playing with to give yourself a chance of netting a cash prize.

The first hand is displayed below, post your guesses in this thread.

Guess The Hand competition: Rules

• The time for guessing will be in between the time of each hand being posted (a hand posted on Monday can be guessed until Wednesday, when the next hand is posted).

• Each user is allowed to post one guess each per hand followed by a brief explanation of their decision - "random" guesses will not be considered.

• Users have to guess Hero and Villian's hole cards (suit indication not required).

• For each correct guess at Hero's hand, participants will be awarded two tickets to the winner's raffle.

• For each correct guess at Villian's hand, participants will be awarded one ticket to the winner's raffle.

• After two weeks have passed and six hands have been posted, tickets to the raffle will be totalled and three winners will be drawn at random; the winners each receive $50 in their Tell-a-Friend accounts.

• If you don't guess correctly at first, don't be deterred, you still have a chance of winning with only one correct answer.

Hand #1

$0.50/$1 Zoom No Limit Hold'em
      CO ($101)
      BTN ($180.96)
      BB ($103.32)

Preflop: Hero is BB with ?? ??, Villain is BTN with ?? ??
      2 folds, CO raises to $2.60, Button calls $2.60, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.60.

Flop: ($8.30) (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, Button bets $4, Hero raises to $12.80, CO folds, Button calls $8.80.

Turn: ($33.90) (2 players)
      Hero bets $24, Button calls $24

River: ($81.90) (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $141.56 (All-In), Hero calls $63.92 (All-In).

Total pot: $209.74

Have fun and join the game!
  • 51 replies
    • MrCristian7
      I would say Villan had 9J of spades, bluffing the river.
      The reason behind my read is the flat call on the turn, because if he had a 10, he would raise.
    • carrapa
      I think hero has 88, because he flatted pf on the bb.

villain has J9 of spades, that's why he called the flop raise, called turn and tried to force hero's fold otr.

Most likely I'm completely wrong :D
    • StormLorD112
      Hero - 88
      Villain - 22
    • atz13
      Hero Q10
      Villain: KQ

Hero check/raise on flop .. i think is a move to see the opponents strenght; then, when turn 10 come, a 2/3 flop bet it seems to get some value and scare the flush hunters; river blank check again to give the villain oportunity to try a bluff, thinking as well hero waited a flushdraw or maybe a straight.
    • Gadgaard
      Hero: 88

Villain: A10

Hero's line:

call pre for set value

flop set big big for protection on drawheavy board

turn he makes a fullhouse and bets for value

river all draws miss and he decide to check to induce bluffs.

Villains line:

Call in position.

flop pre aggressor checks, so he makes a small protection bet on drawheavyboard.
      Calls heros big bet, since he could be on a draw, possibly hold the a of spade for backdoor

turns 3 of a kind and calls in position.

Hero checks and the majority of his range contains busted draws that will fold with possibly some kx hands that might call. The river is not the best card to bluff since it appeal for hero to bluffcatch. Therefore i go with the theory that villain tryes to make it look bluffy, but in reality wants hero to bluffcatch with KJ-KQ.
    • wealthybrainer
      hen we are on the river with so many aggression, our players have polarized ranges.Villain has a missed draw or T8s. KT could be all in on the turn for balance. Hero has a bluffcatcher (due to the line is to check call OTR) which was a monster on flop, the only card would be 88 (3combos).
      It also blocks villain's T8s which could beat him, he can't bet for value because no worse hands will call and the choice is just to x/c (bluffcatch)
      Villain's range isn't so narrowed, he can have bluffs and Td8d (value).We know that hero has a bluff catcher (88) because he x/c instead of shoving and x/f. Because hero has 88, I assume villain mostly has a bluff but I guess villain has the only value hand Td8d because I need to pick a certain hand.

So my answer is
      hero: 8 :spade: 8 :heart:
      villain: T :diamond: 8 :diamond:
    • Amazingfreak
      Hero K10
      Villain 88
    • LedZayats
      Hero: KQ

Villain: A10

My reasoning for Hero: obviously he doesn't have a missed draw because he calls the river. He probably wouldn't reraise with a 10 on the flop too often. So we're left with 88 or KQ/KJ (AK and KK are a likely 3bet preflop, K10 and 1010 are less likely because of the second 10). I think with 88 he would just go all-in for value on the river himself a fair amount of the time, but with a king he would always check-call to bluffcatch confidently because of all the missed draws (maybe check-fold depending on the opponent). So I'll go with the stronger king: KQ.

My reasoning for Villain: with a stronger hand, like AK, K10 or a set, he might reraise Hero on the flop, so that's less likely. With a draw he sometimes might fold when the board pairs on the turn and the Hero keeps barreling, so it's a bit less likely. With a 10 he is fairly likely to do exactly as he did: call the flop raise because of all the draws, then let the hero barrel the turn, then shove the river for 3/4 of the pot to make it look like a missed draw and get the hero to bluffcatch with the kind of hand he has.
    • DecMate
      hero: 88
      call preflop for set value, he's on the BB so getting a good price.
      flops the set, on a draw heavy board like this check-raising is the best option to protect our hand and build a pot.
      on the turn he makes a fullhouse, so standard bet again for value.
      on the river all draws miss, so we decide to check to induce bluffs.

Villian: AJs

the reason i say AJ is because the villian doesn't ship it on the flop - which we would most likely see from JQs due to our equity. and if he had a 10x sort of hand, i don't see him taking this line.
    • SeagalSteven
      New hand guessing campaign, nice! :D

Hand #1

The original raiser doesn't cbet, instead BTN who only flatted preflop bets and hero goes for check-raise, so I think we have little stronger ranges here. If hero had a good draw, why not just call and let the CO come for a ride with what ever he has. Instead villain looks like he has a draw, or a weaker side made hand.

When hero goes for check-call, it is obvious that he has a made hand here. KT, T8, AK, KQ/KJ, AT, 88. Villain has either a missed hand or nuts (at least Tx), this doesn't seem like a place for thin value bets. Well it doesn't look like a good place for a bluff either when everything misses, but who knows :f_biggrin:

Hero KT, villain J9 :spade:
    • joey1toe
      Hero --> 88
      Villain --> QJ

Hero is set mining, x/r flop to grow the pot, delayed c-bet on turn and nice inducing x/c on river.

Villain wants to see a pot with his QJ postflop he's a calling station except for river where he donks shove his missed flush.
    • darkphil99
      HERO is K10
      BTN is 88

if not these hands, i think button never calls all-in. after flop, hero got two pairs, so reraise for checking his/her hands strength. button thank you call, cause 8 set. turn card is terroble for button...cbet and call..its over. button bluffing? no way...
    • someone83
      Hero is AK
      And vilain is mostly bluffing river with AJ (of spades if color is needed)

Vilain was probably on a draw that he missed so tried to steal the pot on river. I say ace jack of spades coz he called the turn and i dont think he would do so with a weak king. The 10 is not an option coz he wont put the all in but maybe try a smaller bet.
    • pokerprons
      Hero has KT and villain has QJ.

It fits nicely into their respective ranges from their positions. Villain has a standard call from BU with QJ vs CO open and Hero peels from BB with KT which can flop nicely but isn't strong enough for a value sqeeze.
      When BB and CO check villain bets his OESD and Hero c/ raises top two pair and villain peels and also calls the barrel OTT and after bricking the river he bluff shoves to Hero's check and hero snaps it off. :)

There are other possible scenarios but I had to choose one.
    • CustardKid
      villain=10x spades
    • StartlingGrope
      This isn't my first choice but as everybody else is going KT v 88 then I'm going to swing something a bit different.

Hero is being tricky with TT pre flop, knowing that Villain is likely to come out firing when the cards come down. The fourth T on the turn is music to his ears.

Villain is slow playing KK pre-flop and it's a stone cold deck by the turn.

If that isn't correct then my name isn't Algernon P. Lunklethwaite IV.
    • Kyyberi
      CO: AsJs
      Hero: 88

Hero is representing AJ of spades, and opponent is repping a straight. Due to leveling wars, they both represent the exact hand their opponent has. In the showdown the villain yelled "You had my hand!". :)
    • pepan47
      villain=JQ spades
    • randomdonk
      hero has KT and checks the river because of all the busted draws and his blockers to the hands that villain can bluffcatch with.
      villain has 88 and didn't see much merit in 3betting flop, so he preferred to keep his opponents range as wide as possible, planing to raise turn probably but no point in doing that on a T.