How to do the math?

• SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      Hey guys
      I've been playing poker for ~2-3 months now and tried applying what I've read so far.
      Lately I've been losing one game after the other, though (I only play live games - Smallstake SnGs with 5-7 people at a time)

Part of this is because I keep pushing with my dead hands expecting a wonder or just simply not getting what I need with enough outs. Then I'm in with a relative low stack and from then on it just goes down (usually).

So I really wanna try and stick to the book, but I wonder how the ... am I supposed to do all this math in such a quick time? I can't take time with every hand I'm involved in - plus it's not working for me to play premium hands only since I let the others stack up (which later on becomes a problem) - especially when my premium hands miss the flop/turn/river and the other big stacks just keep pounding on my average size stack.

little note: usually the winner takes everything in our SnGs

So how do you deal with all that?
      Thanks in advance
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, SRwtf,

Welcome to the forums!

Playing these sorts of games it helps to know the relative strength of hands, and what hands to raise from each position. That doesn't take math, so that's all good.

When you don't hit the flop, you need to be able to quickly assess how many outs you have.
      There are articles for that, and again, no math.

Now the math part. If you know your two times table, you can quickly guesstimate your chances of hitting one of those outs on the next street.

Example:
      If you have a flush draw on the flop, you have 9 outs. 9 x 2 = 18 so you have 18% chance of hitting on the turn. (BTW this is a v rough estimate).

If another player bets, then you need to compare the pot odds with your chance of winning.

18% is roughly 20%, so you need 4:1 (== 80:20) to go into the pot.

This leaves out semi-bluffing, implied odds and all the rest of it.

But that should be enough to be getting on with.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Instead of using times two approach, use "times teo plus two" and it will give you the correct odds. So 9 outs (flush draw) is 9x2 +2 =20.

At first the math looks impossible, but the more you just do it (especially outside tables) the better you become at it. And as with all skills, when you practise it enough it becomes automatic. Like you dont have to really think what 1+1 is. But when you were younger you struggled with it.
    • SRwtf
      SRwtf
      Bronze
      thanks so far I was really looking forward to your answers!
      So I tried opening with the best hands only (almost any pair, suited connectors, broadways and suited kings and aces) but my problem was I had mostly cold hands and then I raised the pot, got commited to it and missed it.
      I mean I don't wanna play tight and disciplined for 10 rounds and then lose a fourth or third of my stack in one single round.
      Also isn't counterproductive when the other players know that I got a strong hand everytime I bet/raise?

Our table is relatively loose, raises are partly irrational (other times you can expect a KQ/QJ/KT0/AT etc)

How do I win at these "home"games?
    • NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      It's just pretty standard SNG strategy. Play tight and aggressive in the beginning,go wild in the end when the blinds are big with the image you've created and you should be fine. The SNG section should tell you all you need to know. Since this is a winner-takes-all SNG, though, there is no real bubble. Whatever is chip-ev positive is good.
    • NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      If you want to upgrade your status from basic to bronze, take the free bankroll test and choose a room and you'll be upgraded to bronze or simply buy it from the store, it's very cheap.