Books

• 14 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey 7syns,

Let me move your thread to a more visible board so you can get more user feedback.

You can also check some of the books in our books section.

The problem with most books is that they are dated - they work fine for beginners, but for more advanced players the tips there can be even harmful.

We have recently added a lot of solid articles to our Strategy section - you should totally check them out! They are combined into modules just like a real book, and most also have a video and quiz for better assimilation.

More info here.

Best,
      Kamen
    • 7syns
      7syns
      Bronze
      Yes of course, but some books even these days have some pretty useful fundamentals. For example, havent read it yet, but I heard many good things about "easy game".

So I mean more books like these :) )
    • Webbybear
      Webbybear
      Bronze
      Hi there :)

I couldn't recommend more that you read Phil Hellmuth's 'Play poker like the pros' book.

Now I'd like to point out that in my personal opinion his own style of play seems outdated when you compare to Negranu and at times he's looked very silly on camera, especially in cash games.

However, for the fundamentals and for crushing the low stakes it's awesome.... if you can absorb all the info.

I am now on the hunt for another book and I think I'm going to go for 'Harrington on holdem' after reading an extract.

HTH
    • 7syns
      7syns
      Bronze
      Yeah in cash games hes not very strong.. But I think that he more then compensate for that in tournaments, his results are not bad at all.

Iam in the middle of Easy Game now and its a really good read, good insights and fundamentals you can build upon even for higher stakes :)
    • LynellHillaire
      LynellHillaire
      Basic
      At now I am reading an amazing book Polished Poker Vol. I which is written by John Anhalt, creator of Leak Buster, Ace Poker Drills and PokerZion.com. It has some amazing content on NLHE.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Webbybear
      I think I'm going to go for 'Harrington on holdem' after reading an extract.
      I think that there is a 2nd edition available.

I read the first edition, and it is weighted toward tournament play.

Good book. Even though it it somewhat out-of-date, it is good for the basics.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • mrkhaan
      mrkhaan
      Bronze
      Right now I am reading "The Education of a Modern Poker Player" by John Billingham, Emanuel Cinca, Thomas Tiroch (pokerstrategists) and it's a very nice read. I like the way it is written and it comes with plenty of hand examples. Recommended.
    • NijeVaznoKoSam
      NijeVaznoKoSam
      Bronze
      The book I am permanently reading is "The Poker Mindset" from Taylor and Hilger and it helps me for few sessions until I need to open it again :D

NVKS
    • gicastas
      gicastas
      Bronze
      read the book ''The Poker Mindset'' it's a good book.
    • 7syns
      7syns
      Bronze
      Yeah heard of that one too, will look at it :) Btw finished Easy Game and its really good read, I would recommend it to all
    • andiofwbafc
      andiofwbafc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by Webbybear
      I think I'm going to go for 'Harrington on holdem' after reading an extract.
      I think that there is a 2nd edition available.

I read the first edition, and it is weighted toward tournament play.

Good book. Even though it it somewhat out-of-date, it is good for the basics.

Best of luck,
      --VS
      I've just acquired a copy of his 6 max cash book.

Very good read thus far, but only just getting into it :)
    • 7syns
      7syns
      Bronze
      Let us know how good it was!
    • ShawnlovesShawn
      ShawnlovesShawn
      Bronze
      Doyle Brunsons Super System 2 is a great read. Your not just getting Doyles advice either. The book is full of great advice from some of the best players in the world at the time it was written. I especially liked the diagrams at the back detaling the double bellybuster straights (double gutshots). Tommy Angelos book was good Information as well. Happy days n happy plays!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by ShawnlovesShawn
      I especially liked the diagrams at the back detaling the double bellybuster straights (double gutshots). Tommy Angelos book was good Information as well. Happy days n happy plays!
      LOL -- I was captivated by those too.
      I love playing them, but if you end up holding the low end, don't bet the farm on it!

--VS