Construction of starting hand chart

• Noname81
      Noname81
      Bronze
      Hi there

I am trying to construct a starting hand chart that plays about 14/11. I have been looking around the internet and have found a couple charts and tables. My question is when a chart says to place kQ do we play all hands including including KQ and up. KQ ranks 20/169 hand. So I would play all hand 20 and above from that position such s JTS QTS etc. Or Do stay away from hand such as JTS because it is a lot harder to play the JTS even though JTS is ranked higher.

Sorry about the rambling. I hope I made a little bit of sense
      Zoom NLH
  • 2 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey there,

Is this 14/11 overall or for a single position? Because 14/11 overall would mean you have tighter ranges from earlier positions and looser from late positions. Also, that's quite tight, are you playing FR?

Getting information together from different sources on the internet is not the best idea and can easily backfire, as there will be a lot of contradicting information.

A range of 14% does not necessarily mean the best 14% of the hand by their preflop equity vs a random hand (that's how they are sorted). Playability is also an important factor and you might for example skip A6o for JTs, as actually JTs is easier to play than A6o.

I highly recommend the following Strategy modules:

Gameplan
      No Limit 6-max preflop ranges

Best,
      Kamen
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Noname81
      Hi there

I am trying to construct a starting hand chart that plays about 14/11. I have been looking around the internet and have found a couple charts and tables. My question is when a chart says to place kQ do we play all hands including including KQ and up. KQ ranks 20/169 hand. So I would play all hand 20 and above from that position such s JTS QTS etc. Or Do stay away from hand such as JTS because it is a lot harder to play the JTS even though JTS is ranked higher.

Sorry about the rambling. I hope I made a little bit of sense
      Zoom NLH
      Hi,
      I totally agree w/ darkonebg regarding the two article sets.
      However at least some of the articles are gold, so won't be available to you for a while.
      You can purchase gold status if you're in a hurry, but I'd like to suggest a do-it-yourself approach.

First, do you have Equilab yet? If not, download it and let's get started.

Using Equilab, select the range that you feel comfortable open-raising from each position.
      That is your foundation. I'm going to bet it is more than 11% total, but if you really want 11% overall, start dropping out hands until you achieve it. You will also be 3Betting sometimes, so your open-raising range should perhaps be less than 11 to allow for that.

Since you are aiming for a VPIP of 14, you'll need to select some hands you'll flat call with, and add those. They will always be inside your open-raising range, though (with perhaps a few exceptions).

A word of warning:
      As darkonebg implies, this is a very, very tight range -- even for Full Ring cash games.
      At anything above the lowest limits players will exploit this range mercilessly.

Best of luck,
      --VS